Page 49 of 165 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    At some point just before I became aware of the impending release of MGS, I discovered MSX emulation. My mind was blown at how different their version of Metal Gear was than ours. Night and day.

Noticing that difference sold Konami at least one copy of MGS.
    Yup, my later interest in emulation led me to the MSX version where I was surprised at how different and much better the original Metal Gear is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I disent, Metal Gear was flat-out awesome.

Did anyone else notice that the Nerd was much more calm in this review? Not that that's a bad thing, he just seemed a lot different. He sounded like he sounds when doing a movie review.
    nuance is a good thing... especially on the internets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Did anyone else notice that the Nerd was much more calm in this review? Not that that's a bad thing, he just seemed a lot different. He sounded like he sounds when doing a movie review.
    I agree - dude also looks like he's been packing on some pounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I agree - dude also looks like he's been packing on some pounds.
    I thought that too. He looked a tiny bit fatter this time around
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Watch the whole video last night.I don't think the nes metal gear was that bad,but it sure wasn't faithful to the msx version.It never made sense to me...that konami had to change it for the nes to begin with.As for the review dunno it seems like the avgn was trying to hard to sound "angry" for how mess up he thought the game was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Great video...saying it is a return to form is implying that he had lost it previously, but it's much more in line with the pointed, and of course winkingly scatological, critique he's become renouned for.

That said, someone really needs to explain to him that passwords use characters to trigger save state information (level, inventory, health, money, etc.) and aren't just excessively long out of choice. You'd think a.) someone would have told him this by now considering he's harped on it in at least four different reviews and b.) he would have at least noticed a pattern of necessity.

When he pulled the comparison with Kyle Reese on the cover he totally should have busted out the Stallone/Arnold/Alien trifecta of plagarism for the Contra cover.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by grolt View Post
    That said, someone really needs to explain to him that passwords use characters to trigger save state information (level, inventory, health, money, etc.) and aren't just excessively long out of choice.
    Ah, but the developers can potentially structure the game such that there is no need to store all the data about the current state in the password - though of course that would take a lot more work on their part.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grolt View Post
    When he pulled the comparison with Kyle Reese on the cover he totally should have busted out the Stallone/Arnold/Alien trifecta of plagarism for the Contra cover.
    Contra, unfortunately, is a good game.

I'm also a fan of Metal Gear NES. Doesn't mean the Nerd isn't on with this one...and yeah...he has gained weight.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And with this, AVGN redeems himself for the Jaguar videos.

I remember my NES owning friends talking about Metal Gear back in the day. It was one of those universal horrible gaming experiences. I never heard a good word said about the game. Everyone thought it sucked harder than a black hole.

Years passed and it became the Playstation age. Suddenly the game magazines started hyping the upcoming Metal Gear Solid. Several mags did retrospectives on the original game and praised it to the heavens as one of the great and most beloved classics of the NES era. What was more interesting is how people started imitating this praise, including a couple of my friends who had previously been extremely negative about it.

It was an amazing example of the nature of promotion and propaganda. I'm sure millions were spent on advertising Metal Gear Solid both overtly and covertly, and it really worked because you could see the new version of history warping reality itself.

So, it's refreshing to see AVGN rip into this game, because it's truly horrible with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. This is what AVGN is good at, pointing out that the rosy memories provided by the video game press are not what they appear while reminding us of how much we sufferred back then due to these terrible excuses for games.

He is a bit apologetic for the game. It is, after all, a high profile NES game and he has to keep his Nintendo fanclub card. But he's suitably venomous that I can let that slide.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    So, it's refreshing to see AVGN rip into this game, because it's truly horrible with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
    Have you even played it? Despite technical flaws and loosey-goosey programming, the game is epic in scope and is considerably more ambitious than a good 80% of all console games from that period.

People rip on Snake's Revenge to a ridiculous extent just because it's not the real Metal Gear 2. But really, the game fixes all the technical bugs with the first NES Metal Gear, and it looks and sounds phenomenal. My only beef with it is that it's level-based instead of giving you a big world to explore freely.

Interestingly enough, Resident Evil 5 departs from previous entries in a similar fashion.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I agree with the review, I really don't like the NES version. I don't get why it's so popular.

Still, my favourite review of Metal Gear is from PlayItBogart.
    http://revver.com/video/943553/metal-gear-nes-review/
    What the hell happened to him anyway? He got booted off Youtube and then he's like... gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    What the hell happened to him anyway? He got booted off Youtube and then he's like... gone.
    Maybe he choked on the marbles in his mouth when he talks

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another good episode, I like when it's all about the game and not lame jokes and effects. However I don't know why he persists on calling it epic and classic when he obviously loathes the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

he's over 30 and is now married

gaining weight happens... the 20-somethings here will learn soon enough

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    he's over 30 and is now married

gaining weight happens... the 20-somethings here will learn soon enough
    Not to mention, who cares???

This isn't The Superficial and the Nerd isn't Jessica Simpson. Are the videos entertaining? Yes? That's all that matters.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Have you even played it? Despite technical flaws and loosey-goosey programming, the game is epic in scope and is considerably more ambitious than a good 80% of all console games from that period.

People rip on Snake's Revenge to a ridiculous extent just because it's not the real Metal Gear 2. But really, the game fixes all the technical bugs with the first NES Metal Gear, and it looks and sounds phenomenal. My only beef with it is that it's level-based instead of giving you a big world to explore freely.
    I've played both games, they're pretty terrible. I'm pretty sure they were only played at the time because people didn't have any other games to play. How many people actually played through the entire games?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    The only place I've found where he's still active is on another forum. I don't think he's made anymore videos. I actually liked his videos more than the AVGN.
    http://www.metalgearsolid.org/PlayItBogart/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I'm not sure why people hate Irate Gamer, I watch both AVGN and Irate Gamer as they're both alright. I do watch others too, there's plenty of good reviewers.

The whole angry reviews thing is getting a bit old actually, how many years can someone do the same act while keeping it fresh?

People look at Irate as a hack, I use to kinda dislike him too, but he is the sort of reviewer that grows on you.

I can only watch classic AVGN so much before getting uberly-tired of it, a different personality and approach sometimes isn't bad so its nice to have other guys who are classic game reviewers.

The reviewer I use to like is Nostalgia Critic, he is great and funny in small doses but overtime his over the top antics get sort of annoying.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 04-10-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I'd love to see the AVGN review Tag Team Wrestling for the NES. That's one of the worst wrestling games - and video games - I've ever played.
    ive had the same feeling for a while

the box use to bother me

"based on the arcade hit!"

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me and my brother used to play this back in the day. He thought it was cool, and I never got into it because I sucked at it. MGS is the only game out of the series I beat and enjoyed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I'm in the small minority but I've never really liked any of the Metal Gear games, including the MGS series. But oddly enough, Kojima's lesser known masterpiece, Snatcher is one of my favorite games.