Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

So, have the talisman or chalice ever been sold? What became of them?

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The buffering keeps stopping at 6:43 for me. I want to know how the adventure ends!

Insert Coin (Level 0) graciano1337's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    J City Mayne

I really liked that episode. He really made me want to play video games and geniunely enjoy them.

When AVGN finally does retire, that orchestrated version of his theme NEEDS to be in his farewell video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

That's been my favorite video in ages. I missed out on the Atari generation so all that stuff is new to me. I really like the videos where he's interested in illuminating the history rather than trying to be angry. This one also had a riling call to action that may perhaps give us some closure on what happened to the additional items. Hell, it may even get someone to pony up and make a fan made completion of the series. It's kind of heartbreaking that the series never went full circle - as the idea behind it is grand and epic, especially for an 8-bit video game series.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Great video, very informative.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An episode like this is pretty much speaking to retro collectors.

And if any of the swordquest artifacts ever turned up for sale, they all just got a big bump in value for this AVGN video putting them over the top as holy grails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.digitpress.com/library/in...l_rideout.html

dp interview with michael rideout, the winner of the fireworld chalice

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/146539-swordquest/

atariage thread with newer pictures of the chalice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Imagine: Jack Tramiel is one day discovered impaled on the Swordquest Sword! He is surrounded by cryptic clues as to who the murderer is! The mystery fuels immense public interest into the case and that man's life! Movies and novels (and video games) are written! But little does anyone suspect that the man is still alive, and profits from the media enterprise are secretly being funneled into his offshore accounts while he retires to a tropical island under a different name, watching as his place in history is made!

Quote Originally Posted by scottw182 View Post
    So, have the talisman or chalice ever been sold? What became of them?
    The talisman was melted down, though the winner kept the little sword, as I recall. He needed the money for his education; you can hardly blame him.

[EDIT: Oh, I guess I remember that from the last time I read the interview.]
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 02-18-2010 at 09:12 PM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just started watching AVGN over the past couple weeks...I think I'm through most of them! The mixture of relentlessly juvenile humor and fun retro game history is perfect. I could watch this show on a daily basis if he put them out that fast. I like how so many of these games were games I rented or was given as a surprise gift...I remember X-men, Rambo, and Friday the 13th really pissing me off. My mom got me those thinking they were slam dunk gifts (can't blame her, I loved both of those movies and x-men.)

Not sure which episode is my favorite...the Nintendo Power one was really damn good. I also liked the Milon's Secret Castle episode. The codes section in NP for the game was "Getting Started" I definitely rented that game once or twice and couldn't figure it out. It's hilarious how Zelda, a game that similarly plops you into a world and expects you to find impossibly hidden stuff, went on to be classic. I guess it's because entire towns of children were working in tandem to figure it out. But a game like Milon's was too obscure and uninspiring to get that same treatment (at least, in the U.S.)
    Last edited by Archimboldi; 02-18-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I need to find a copy of one of the Swordquest games complete and try to go through it. How hard is it to find with the comic/poster?

I always end up going back to playing the games after he played them. I tried the Swordquest series once, and had no idea what to do. The video does freeze for me, but it actually seems like he likes these games. I think it's kind of cool when games hint to things in real life to complete them, it's something you would never think of and you have to use your imagination do figure it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, and I also want a game where I get to steer knives into a turkey club sandwich.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I need to find a copy of one of the Swordquest games complete and try to go through it. How hard is it to find with the comic/poster?

I always end up going back to playing the games after he played them. I tried the Swordquest series once, and had no idea what to do. The video does freeze for me, but it actually seems like he likes these games. I think it's kind of cool when games hint to things in real life to complete them, it's something you would never think of and you have to use your imagination do figure it out.
    He does like the games. In fact, this video has literally no profanity on it. It's just him gushing over the games and the story behind the contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Imagine: Jack Tramiel is one day discovered impaled on the Swordquest Sword! He is surrounded by cryptic clues as to who the murderer is! The mystery fuels immense public interest into the case and that man's life! Movies and novels (and video games) are written! But little does anyone suspect that the man is still alive, and profits from the media enterprise are secretly being funneled into his offshore accounts while he retires to a tropical island under a different name, watching as his place in history is made!
    That's awesome. Also throw out some stuff like Tramiel was inflicted with lycanthropy and the Swordquest Sword was actually forged in a rare cooperative action between dwarves and elves. With some implication that the 'silver' blade is in reality, mithril! Wouldn't hurt if it was a vorpal blade, a holy avenger, a multi-brand (i.e. fire and ice brand) and a bane of some sort... Sentient too! Elevate it to Legendary Artifact levels. Adds to the mystique.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-19-2010 at 01:06 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    http://www.digitpress.com/library/in...l_rideout.html

dp interview with michael rideout, the winner of the fireworld chalice

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/146539-swordquest/

atariage thread with newer pictures of the chalice
    It's kind of sad that the talisman is gone forever, but it makes me happy that the chalice is accounted for. If I had to guess, I would've predicted that all five pieces were gone, probably melted down or buried or mixed in with a non-video game collection of trinkets, its history vanished forever. To see that at least the goblet is still in the hands of someone who earned it and appreciates its value, that's good. And he's still connected to the gaming community to share his story.

The stuff about the sword and crown and philosopher's stone being with Jack Tramiel, I think that's probably folklore. I don't know why he'd care to hang onto stuff like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

the swordquest games are OK. You have to have the comic and all of that. Trying to play them as a loose cart often results in the player deciding that the game is the worst thing ever.

Theyre all pretty fun adventure/puzzle solving games, especially for Atari.

I like Fireworld the most.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Has any of the prizes that were given out ever gone up for sale? Wonder what they would fetch on eBay...

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Regarding the Philosopher's Stone, can jade even be "melted down" like gold? I mean, I'm sure it CAN be, but wouldn't it more likely just get sold as a "big ass chunk of jade" / raw material sort of thing? Even if that has been sold or lost, there's a chance that could turn up I bet. Maybe sans-cover, but it wouldn't surprise me if the stone itself surfaces some day.

Also, you'd think there might be a story out there somewhere about "some guy with a jeweled sword he wanted to sell me" from an appraiser, I doubt things like that are exactly weekly occurrences.

edit: for the record, I'd like to have the crown. IT IS TIME TO PLAY ATARI, I MUST DON MY ROYAL CROWN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Also, you'd think there might be a story out there somewhere about "some guy with a jeweled sword he wanted to sell me" from an appraiser, I doubt things like that are exactly weekly occurrences.
    I don't know about where you live, but I wouldn't have too much trouble buying a fancy-looking sword, albeit maybe not one with a gold-colored hilt. But that's what spraypaint is for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He also did a video about Alice In Wonderland. One of my favs

http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre-alice/3345070

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by elvis8atari View Post
    He also did a video about Alice In Wonderland. One of my favs

http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre-alice/3345070
    I'm the same age as James, and what he said about the Jabberwocky in the made for tv special hit home big time for me. That thing scared the crap outta me when I saw it as a kid, and since it aired shortly after we got our VCR, we taped it. Whenever I'd watch it again, I'd always have to leave the room during that scene. It was just too scary.