Page 95 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was just thinking about that one the other day, and added it to my Zip (Canadian Netflix) queue.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    I'm the same age as James, and what he said about the Jabberwocky in the made for tv special hit home big time for me. That thing scared the crap outta me when I saw it as a kid, and since it aired shortly after we got our VCR, we taped it. Whenever I'd watch it again, I'd always have to leave the room during that scene. It was just too scary.
    Wow, I always pictured you to be a couple of years older than I am from your posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

James talks about the PS3.... (dvd player):

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?p=4707
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post
    James talks about the PS3.... (dvd player):

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?p=4707
    I am stunned he just got into Blu-ray a couple of months ago, since he's so big into movies. Instead of complaining about the PS3 controller, he also needs the PS3 Blu-ray remote, great for watching movies. Not knocking him, but I also got the impression he's no nerd when it comes to technology. Definitely not a geekburger.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Not knocking him, but I also got the impression he's no nerd when it comes to technology. Definitely not a geekburger.
    I thought the same after watching. In addition to being a big nerd, I am also an a/v enthusiast and had to chuckle a bit listening to him explain his problems with rca/hdmi and how oblivious he is to the concept of anamorphic DVDs (not his fault, it's confusing, and I have had this conversation with family/friends). I don't own a PS3, but it's disappointing to see that it doesn't default to 2 channel PCM or Dolby Digital, as I'm sure most PS3 owners, and Blu-ray owners just use TV speakers and not a full surround sound setup. Shame on Sony.

Additionally, his HDTV is kind of small, and on a smallish TV from that distance, there isn't a big difference between DVD and Blu-ray.
    IMPLANTgames retro game reviews - My YouTube Channel - New Podcast!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny that he's had a PS3 for a year and never played a game on it. I think he's missing out, but perhaps he really is a pure retro gamer.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Funny that he's had a PS3 for a year and never played a game on it. I think he's missing out, but perhaps he really is a pure retro gamer.
    I think he said that he's never played a PS3 game in it. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    I am stunned he just got into Blu-ray a couple of months ago, since he's so big into movies.
    I think he explained it quite well: for the size of TV he has, the DVD format still looks great, so he's in no rush to go out and replace stuff he already has. The guy still has his VHS stuff around (not that I don't too - but I never had a large collection, because I never liked the quality of VHS!)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    I'm in a similar boat as James. I own one game for it, MGS4. I actually bought the system for that game and ever since I've done nothing but play Netflix/DVDs on it (I still need to beat MGS4 actually...hah!). The 360 is the modern game machine in my house. If only the Wii had some other function other than being the virtual bowling machine...
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sosage View Post
    I'm in a similar boat as James. I own one game for it, MGS4. I actually bought the system for that game and ever since I've done nothing but play Netflix/DVDs on it (I still need to beat MGS4 actually...hah!). The 360 is the modern game machine in my house. If only the Wii had some other function other than being the virtual bowling machine...

how far did you get in mgs4? the actual gameplay really tapers off after the second chapter.

the 360 is also my main machine. Kinda crazy how much is there is to play on it, especially after you take XBLA into account.

I can understand using a PS3 as a video machine. The dvd player is supposed to be super nice and blu-ray is also a plus (though kinda overrated, imo.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys and James are missing out on alot of great games by only using your PS3's for movies and MGS4.

Try Uncharted 1 and 2, Infamous, Heavenly Sword (didn't get great reviews, but I liked it alot). And if you like FPS titles (I hate them), there's titles like Resistance 1&2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    I think he explained it quite well: for the size of TV he has, the DVD format still looks great, so he's in no rush to go out and replace stuff he already has. The guy still has his VHS stuff around (not that I don't too - but I never had a large collection, because I never liked the quality of VHS!)
    But he's the AVGN. He shouldn't have a small TV. Also, he's a huge movie buff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Archimboldi View Post
    how far did you get in mgs4? the actual gameplay really tapers off after the second chapter.

the 360 is also my main machine. Kinda crazy how much is there is to play on it, especially after you take XBLA into account.

I can understand using a PS3 as a video machine. The dvd player is supposed to be super nice and blu-ray is also a plus (though kinda overrated, imo.)
    I made it part way through the Europe portion of the game before it wound up hitting the backburner. Sometimes games just wind up like that, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by celticjobber
    You guys and James are missing out on alot of great games by only using your PS3's for movies and MGS4.
    Not to turn this into yet another machine debate, but lemme give a clearer picture of my situation. The 360's dominance in my house comes down to 1) coming out almost a full year earlier, 2) in that year rooting itself with an eventually strong library (both through retail and XBLA*), 3) 90% of the games that came out for PS3 wound up on the 360 as well (and visa versa), 4) friends list: everyone that I play games with has a 360. Very few have a PS3. Even then, those on my PS3 list are in the same boat. PS3=movies. 360=games.

It's about the games, not brand/platform allegiance for sure. PS3 has some good exclusives from both what I hear and what you're telling me in this thread, but they're all "in the stack"...and seeing as the 360 is my main modern game machine while the PS3 sits on the laggy big screen T.V. for DVDs, their position in the "to be played stack" is very close to the bottom.

*=with downloadable titles being one of the big things this generation, being first really helped MS out imo. I can't speak for everyone, but one machine winds up being the "downloaded games" machine. With the majority of the library being in one spot and not split between two machines. Weird phenomenon, since I'm a collector like the rest of you with a bajillion machines hooked up and a zillion games that cross said platforms. It shouldn't matter, on paper, that I need to switch machines to play/buy a downloadable game...but it does. Weird.

Sorry. AVGN. Uh. We like PS3 for DVDs.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since when is a 30 inch or so TV a "small" tv? People are so spoiled these days it's disgusting. Next thing you know, in 2015 a 50 inch will be small.
    Last edited by elvis8atari; 02-24-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah really, my first TV was a 13" colour TV and it was awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elvis8atari View Post
    Since when is a 30 inch or so TV a "small" tv? People are so spoiled these days it's disgusting. Next thing you know, in 2015 a 50 inch will be small.
    It's small for someone who is a huge, huge movie buff and has money like The Nerd. 50" small? No, but I decided on a 61" in 2007. Why? Well, the 70" was too expensive.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you are confusing movie buffs and av nuts. They do meet and cross at times, but one does not need to imply the other.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

He's got a projector, he can just play a movie on the damn wall.

Besides, these are probably his basement/gameroom TVs. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an upstairs living room with a fancier one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    He's got a projector, he can just play a movie on the damn wall.

Besides, these are probably his basement/gameroom TVs. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an upstairs living room with a fancier one.
    There is. The Nostalgia Critic has a special where he went to the guy's home, and they're sitting in his real frontroom, talking. He has a big widescreen television in there and some pretty nice furniture, if I remember correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not bad of a video. Interesting though but I liked it.

The Best Fighter in HISTORY!!!