Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counter-Strike and the CPL. Read and Reply, PLEASE, thx.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Counter-Strike and the CPL. Read and Reply, PLEASE, thx.

Hi many of you might remember me from DPs old board (i hope anyway ) anywho I am squaresoft98 and I am here because I have a favor of sorts to ask you. Well I know I haven't been at the boards lately but I went on a vacation with my wife and daughter and I have been working a lot lately. Anyway I am just going to cut to the chase. My 16 year old brother and 5 of his team are going to CPL this winter. He is a avid player of Counter-Strike and he is very good. In case you dont know what the CPL is it is the Cyberathletic Professional League. I am wondering if any of you would be willing to sponsor his team. He and his team are looking for people to sponsor him for the money for his hotel room/entry fee/and/or plane tickets. We of course dont expect any one person to donate money for all of this but I am asking to see if you would be willing to donate to any of it. Here are the details of each cost:

The entry fee is $75 per person which makes the total $450 for that.

The hotel rooms are $110 a night for double rooms so 3 rooms making the total for all 5 nights $1650. We understand that that is a lot of money so if a sponsor could just pay for all 3 rooms for one night or something.

The plane tickets costs have not been figured yet and we will let you know of the cost of that if your interested at a later time.

Here is our incentive to you: We are going to get T-Shirts made up with the logos of all the sponsors to the team. You could submit the logo of your choice. We will also get a banner made with the sponsors logos on it. For those of you at DP who dont have anything like a company name or such like for example if DP donated we would have a DP logo on our shirt but for the single people who donate we will put all their names on the back of our shirt in a list.

Some of you may not know me very well but you can talk to me about my brother on aim at SquareEa or you can talk to my brother at sinugg3r or on msn messenger my brothers message is Nuggerishere@hotmail.com (as is his email). My email is SquareEa@aol.com .

My brother has recently told me he is compilating a movie of him playing CS. It will be very well done and it will be done within a week or a couple of weeks. I will post it on a page and put a link for downloading at a later time. Well I hope to hear from some of you but if I dont thank you much anyway.

We understand that we are asking for a lot of money and you probably wont want to just go take my word for it and throw money to me. If you would be kind enough to donate enough money for the entry fee for example that would be great but if you would only donate a set amount (ie 50$, 100$ or whatnot) we would be more than happy. Please contact me as soon as possible so we can discuss this. Thanks again your friend, Squaresoft98.

If you would like to talk to me or my brother please let me know and you can talk to me on aim on this name or on SquareEa or on my brothers name at siNugg3r .
    Squaresoft the makers of soft squares... Ah bliss.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sounds Good

Hey, me too. I was going to start law school in a week, but if people are paying other people to play video games, then I'm in. Here's what we'll do:
    You guys send me money through PayPal and I will stay at my house and start the DVGCL (Drumguy Video Game Cosmic League). My rent is $810/mo, food runs $300-$400 plus entertainment, which is at least $700. How the league will work is I will play games and every half hour I will talk for 30 seconds about a different sponsor.
    This will all show up on the movie that I will make of me playing video games. It will be in real time and will be a camera pointed at me & the screen. I will sell the tapes for $25.95 + S/H per 6 hour tape.
    Anyway, you guys send me some PMs and I will get you the final details. I'm glad Squaresoft had such a great idea. Maybe one day me and his brother can have a tournament that you guys can pay for and buy tickets to. Squaresoft, email me so we can set that up.
    Mick Foley is the greatest wrestler of all time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is the point of writing something like that? just to ridicule me? Dont waist your time. This is a serious matter. If you can get good enough at Counter-Strike to go to the CPL fine so be it. Otherwise why are you on my case I mean what the heck? www.thecpl.com is the official site of the CPL and if you go there you can see how serious it really is. I dont appreciate comments like yours.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see where ya coming from friend...but come on now..I can see if it was for school or something that will benefit your brother later on in life. But for him to go somewhere to play videogames. You gots ta be buggin.i couldnt see myself asking for donations to send my son to play counterstrike :lol: :lol:
    Maybe you should write Mario or Solid Snake...maybe they might understand your situation. :shock:
    I love the smell of spray cans in the morning

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dont waist your time.
    Also, you should go back to third grade.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ...

geez i didn't remember people here being so critical. nice welcome you all give me. you even get after me for spelling.
    Well saying CPL could help my brother later in life because if his clan wins they get 30k. If you dont want to help him why are you posting?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW would you sponsor someone to go to the Olympics if they asked you? Would you mock them? Do you think that one middle class 16 year old can pay his way for plane tickets, hotel, food, and everything? No i dont think you'd mock them. This is what the CPL the olympics of computerized athletics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I'm not getting on you, but I still don't know what the hell this CPL is. Sure Cyberathletes, but how do they expect to get sponsership if there are no words? I mean how am I supposed to know what the screwy acronym stands for. So what do they do? Best First Person Shooter? Who plays a better Madden game? What? I really don't get it.

Not saying I'm gonna sponser because I'm already stuck with a $20,000 tuition bill plus the cost of supplies (last year alone it was $6,000)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you think that one middle class 16 year old can pay his way for plane tickets, hotel, food, and everything?
    No, I think he should be getting a job. You can call anything a sport and anyone an athlete, but the point is you're just as likely getting someone to pay me to go to the masterbation olympics. I'm really good, but if I can't pay my own way, I have to stick to playing on home turf.
    If you want to call yourself an athlete, ok, but if you want to go play in some fancy tournament and can't pay for it yourself, guess what?... you don't play in a fancy tournament. Get in the real world buddy.
    ( By the way, the definition of athlete is "A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts." There is no way you can twist video game playing to fit this definition... ok, maybe if you are using a power pad. Is your brother playing Power Pad Counter Strike?)

PS - Anyone claiming to be in a 'clan' is gay. The ONLY exception is if you are a second rate minion of Shredder. End of discussion.
    Mick Foley is the greatest wrestler of all time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Geez

Omg what the hell is your problem? I came here looking for my help out of the goodness of my heart for my brother and you jump on me like a pack of rabid wolves. My brother has a job but what about the other 5 people on his team? One is 12, is he supposed to have a job? I didnt name the CPL it is called the Cyberathlete Professiobnal League. www.thecpl.com if you want to read more on it.
    What you do is you have a 5 man team for Counter-Strike you play on different maps and the winner of a certain # of rounds advances. I guess you would need to play the game to understand.

As for anyone claiming to be in a clan is gay? Why are you at digitalpress? It seems to be a club for gamers does it not? Well a clan is the same thing a club for CS players

So are you gay?

Beyond that, I come out and say, Fuck you and dont you ever make a comment about my brother like that again. I was trying to keep my temper but verbally mocking my brother is wrong. Would you like it if you got on someones board and they started making fun of you for being a videogame nerd? No i dont think you would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Folks- the CPL exists

It was talked about on The Screensavers on Tech TV:
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/s...383498,00.html

And also on Extended Play

http://www.techtv.com/extendedplay/v...365521,00.html

Basically- its like events similar to Quake Con or one re-heally big LAN party, only its for money and prestige. It's been around since 1997 and has been gaining popularity and sponsors ever since. Get this: one of the sponsors of the league is Intel (probably promoting the idea that PC gaming is best done on a P4 instead of an AMD processor). I think they primarily handle FPS's for the time being, though they are talking about expanding that as it gets more popular. They (the CPL) have even talked about trying to get the events shown on TV. Unfortunately, a Quake III based game is nigh impossible to follow for the common person and will tend to have people puking in their popcorn as the games are so damn fast. I just played Elite Force (based on the QIII engine) in multiplayer and I was stunned at how fast things move.

I'm all for such a thing. Hell, they national Chess tournaments, why not video games? However, am I going to open my wallet? Sorry, no. I will get no personal return out of it. I really don't know you or your brother or the rest of his crew (though I do tip my hat-if he can compete with people like Thresh and hold his lunch while doing missile-jumps, he's a better player than I). I think your best bet is to try corporations that are local to you. For example, since this is game related, why not try a local arcade? Entertainment (bowling alley, etc) place? I'd suggest bars, but that's not too good since most if not all of the players are minors. You may get some weird looks, but print off the main page, tell the potential sponsors that video games are mainstream and are really popular. Be energetic about it!

The old standby, however, is to have them scrape their cash together and go for it. Try different locations to shack up for the night and take a bus to the event. If one of them can drive, even better. I know its hard, but where there is a will, there is a way.

I wish your bro and his team luck. If they can't go this time, there is always next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

@drumguy: Oh, by the way, there are other definitions for "athlete"

"One fitted for, or skilled in, intellectual contests; as, athletes of debate. "

And by the definition you listed:

A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts

The three traits were examples (hence the "such as") and if you look up the definition of "sport" one of the definitions is "An active pastime; recreation." I know I'll be called on the carpet about the "active" part, but I think that is in the eye of the beholder.

So with that: video games, which is considered "recreation" and could be considered "active" as for these competitions requires "agility" which falls into the definition of "athlete" you describe. These games also require a decent amount of intellect to plan strategies on the fly and to keep your character alive, so that then falls under the definition I listed. An since competitions are usually viewed by spectators, it could be said that this is a "Spectator sport".

Bub, open your mind. It's a new era in gaming and in the world in general. New things are forming in the realm of entertainment and one of our favorite hobbies has become a national, paying, competition. This is something we all probably wanted when we were young and here it is. Then someone comes along asking about sponsorship and instead of getting some advice, the person gets drawn, quartered, and has their head displayed on a pike as you ride through town. Sure Square could be trolling for easy money, but at least give him or anyone the benefit of the doubt.

I'll probably get flamed for what I said, or I'll get nailed in the Battlezone, but I don't care.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much, I couldn't have said it better myself. I totally understand that you wouldn't want to open your wallet. I am having him check local places but I thought it might be an idea to check online gaming places such as this one. Well thanks again and I'll give my brother your support.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why dont you try to get a bank loan Square?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont see many banks giving loans to 16 year olds. I guess he could try.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I wish I could help ya out but I'm tapped out after CGE. Good luck raising the cash, sounds like a cool venture to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why dont you play the front man, and take the loan out for your brother

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont make loans. It goes on my record and i dont want to do that. I am donating money to him but thats all i can do.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You dont get it do you? A front man means you go get the bank loan, then you give the money to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

(Revolt--I think he means he won't take out a loan for his brother fearing that he may never see the money payed back that he's taken out for the loan)

As stated before, Mom and Pop shop sponsers would be a good place to start. But make your brother and his friends do it to show would-be sponsers that they are serious.

Pizza Shops, Grocery Stores, etc. just think of the sponsers you see on other Youth League Sports teams.