Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More SNK vs Capcom Characters Announced

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Well, blood was never a major part of fighters...although on the surface they look the same, there are differences in them all.

Speed is one, for sure. A game like SF3: 3rd Strike can tend to be pretty damn fast paced (japanese tournament vids ) whereas a game like capcom vs snk 2 goes generally seems to move slower.

Combo engines are a major one. Every game has a different engine, however slight the changes may be. They make a huge difference over who's good and bad in a game.

And of course, characters themselves. Even Ryu and Ken have some major differences from SF2. Even if the moves look the same they may work differently. There's a reason why Ryu is better then Ken in SF Alpha 3, and why Akuma is better then both of them in the same game.

Finally, the difference is again, the head to head aspect. People like being able to defeat their opponents in a match more then they do a scoreboard.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I understand the "head to head" thing, but the genre, it's the same. And the differences just aren't that significant, overall. How long did the Space Invaders or Pac-Man genres last? And Joust allowed competitive play, as did a number of others. There aren't any OTHER genres they can come up with that allow such simultaneous play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Unless you really play the games, you won't notice the differences unless they make a whole new sub genre (like marvel vs capcom 2).

And thats it. To a fighting game player those are the major things that matter. Characters, Speed, and Engine. Sure, teh genre has had a lot of games in it...but the bad ones, nobody care about, just like the bad games of any other genre. The handful of good ones though, they are excellent games and have a reason for their hardcore followings.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I don't make a religion out of playing fighting games, but I can see where Uber & Butta are both coming from. Even as few as I play, I still can make note that the more they go on, the more that get made and published, the more fluid they get. Easier controls, "innovations" (tag teams, etc.), new character designs, moves, etc. Sure, what I notice is eye candy, but I'm sure others do too. As long as people keep pumping quarters and getting their panties in a bunch over it, the game companies will keep making them.

No Pac Man machine that I've seen pits players head-to-head against each other, it's always alternating P1 and P2.

Perhaps it's a testosterone, muscle, marking-my-territory thing, but I usually see guys playing the fighting games, and about 80% of the time, playing with someone else. And usually in that 20% that people play alone, within 5 minutes someone is up to challenge them. I'm sure some guys would play Madden for this same effect, but it's too long to be an arcade port.

That last part is only theory though, as a wallflower's point a view, since I stick to puzzlers & light gun games

*blows smoke off plastic guncon*

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    And of course, characters themselves. Even Ryu and Ken have some major differences from SF2. Even if the moves look the same they may work differently. There's a reason why Ryu is better then Ken in SF Alpha 3, and why Akuma is better then both of them in the same game.
    If I may step in here, I'll give a few examples as to how this would work.

Ryu and Ken were basically clones of each other, but with a few little differences here. Ryu's Hurricane kick knocked down, where as Ken's didn't. Ryu's dragon punch and Ken's DP were basically the same except that Ken's had a 2 hit version on the strong button (and more dizzy) and all versions of the dp would knock down, but on Ryu, all did basically the same damage but with different pauses (and there for uses). Ryu's Fierce DP would NOT knock down on the ground though.

These two are EXTREMELY different in terms for Alpha 2 and 3. Ryu aquired a move called the "hop kick" by many such as myself. Ryu has some what of a "dodge" effect when doing a fireball and can actually slightly move out of harms way and use his fireball in the middle of a chain of attacks to reset the match. His DP is completely invinsible on startup (makes for an excellent wakeup and a near perfect anti-air). Ken was given an assortment of "over head" moves that you must block high. Ken's strongest game, albeit weak, is based on mixing up. His Fierce Dragon Punch was given a flame effect as well (this was done in super turbo first). Completely different characters.

Originally stated by Aswald I understand the "head to head" thing, but the genre, it's the same.
    This is a moot point though. The games although in the same genre are completely different and in SO many ways. Even if one element was to be added it could change how the whole game is played and therefor will bring in more people to play it.

Example - Street Fighter Alpha 3

Three modes of play were introduced into this. A-ism (Z-ism in Japan), V-ism, and X-ism. Normally you'd think that by playing a character, they'd be the same in each ism that you'd choose along with your character. WRONG! Techincally there are just about 100 playable characters in SFA3. Pick Ryu in A-ism and then pick Ryu in X-ism. He has COMPLETELY different normal moves and they both take damage and give damage differently. Hell, pick Chunli in either A or X. Xism has a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SPRITE (Old Skool Chunli from the II series *bunned up hair, blue dressy type deal*).

Then we move on to the SFIII series. OMG was that a different series, a COMPLETELY different game. Not to mention an entire new system of negating attacks, parrying, but the combo system was so strange and new (and VERY glitchy, at least up until 3rdstrike). You could now reset a person in the air, combo BEFORE a person was dizzy and in the process creating very large, very EXTREMELY difficult combos. Being able to combo supers Immediatly after a special move, called Super Cancelling, and sooooo much more.

So.....have I reached anyone at all?
    Only Heroes Live Forever.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds really cool to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Very nice biz....but theres 1 thing wrong. Kens Flaming Dragon punch was introduced in Super Sf2 not Super Sf2 turbo x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aswald
    It's just that Street Fighter 2 came out right around 1990. That was 13 years ago. The sequel, which allowed you to play any character (e.g. Ryu vs. Ryu) made it different enough, as now two "identical" characters could fight, but- then what?
    Mortal Kombat. Killer Instinct. Time Killers. Dark Stalkers. Etc. Endless sequels, endless variations, but they all essentially played the same. Remeber the fuss people made in the days of Pac-Man about "all those Pac-Man clones?" Was Mortal Kombat's (what's with the spelling?) "Fatalaities" and "Babe-alities" that significant?
    Well, it's the nature of a genre to include similar games, and to build upon a common starting point. Driving games use a perspective much like that of Pole Position, 2-D platformers rarely divert from the Super Mario Bros. viewpoint, and top-down shooters have a format that's changed very little since Xevious. Yet the likes of Gran Turismo, Klonoa, and Radiant Silvergun make it clear that all three genres have progressed a great deal since their creation.

And with 3-D games, there's even more variety within the fighting genre. Does Ehrgeiz play anything like Virtua Fighter 4? Is Tech Romancer that close to Soul Calibur? Does Psychic Force 2012 really remind you of Dead or Alive 3?
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once again, Fenris comes along and says what I was struggling to put into words. I agree with you whole heartedly kid, although I had planned to use different examples.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retsudo
    Very nice biz....but theres 1 thing wrong. Kens Flaming Dragon punch was introduced in Super Sf2 not Super Sf2 turbo x_x
    Nice call. I did make a mistake on that one.
    Only Heroes Live Forever.