Thread: Anyone except me never play a Final Fantasy game?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone except me never play a Final Fantasy game?

I was reading PLAY last night and they had a big preview on the upcoming Final Fantasy title for the PSP. The writer assumed that everyone on the earth had played Final Fantasy.

I realized that I've never played any game in the entire series although I know I've got one for the NES and possibly three on the PS1 sitting in storage somewhere. How many have there been? How many remakes? How many offshoots? It's got to be in the 20's, no?

Anyone else never played a FF game?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you not like RPGs? I'm not saying everyone is going to like Final Fantasy, but everyone who thinks they might like an RPG should at least TRY to play a couple of them. There's a good chance they'll like it quite a bit, and if they don't like it, then no big deal. At least they tried.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you like old number throwing RPG's you should play some. I'd suggest FF3 on the SNES. It's aged pretty well, sprite graphics are nice and colorful, the music in the series is excellent, and the stories are good. Then again, if you're not into RPG's I could understand not playing them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got about halfway through disc 1 of FF7, and that's all the FF I've ever played. I've never been into turn-based RPGs and FF7 really didn't grab me. Now Skies of Arcadia is another matter. That game grabbed me the moment I fired it up and I was unable to put it down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've never played any Final Fantasy game. I have also never played a Zelda game. Just not my cup of tea. I have played a few RPGs over the years, but I have never felt motivated to play either FF or Zelda. Not Final Fantasy because I don't like turn-based gameplay, and not Zelda because I was not a Nintendo fan, and I almost never play any of their systems (except the GameCube).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too have never played Final Fantasy or really any RPG. I know they are great in all but I just don't have the time to get into a major story line like so. The furthest I get into a game is to test it and then I know it's ready to sell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I've never played any Final Fantasy game. I have also never played a Zelda game. Just not my cup of tea. I have played a few RPGs over the years, but I have never felt motivated to play either FF or Zelda. Not Final Fantasy because I don't like turn-based gameplay, and not Zelda because I was not a Nintendo fan, and I almost never play any of their systems (except the GameCube).
    I'm the same way. I tried Final Fantasy 7 and found it to be utterly boring and melodramatic. I've also tried several incarnations of the Zelda franchise and just didn't get what made the games so special, especially compared to other games in the same loose genre.

My beef with RPGs is pretty simple: I hate, hate, hate having to cycle through a menu to attack. I used to think that overwhelming depth in games was off-putting, but I dig Oblivion, so that theory is inadequate. I've found that if I've got a sword and I'm going to be hitting some guy with it, I'd better be hitting buttons to swing that goddamn sword at the guy, not selecting "attack" from a text menu, even if it's really little more, depending on the game, than a degree of seperation from the former. That and I'll never understand the JRPG fascination with prettyboys and cliche-ridden plots that don't so much present a fascinating narrative as much as offer an excuse to drag out a game for as long as possible to make the player feel like they're getting their money's worth.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Last RPG I played was Zork. Never got into them at all. I've seriously never played Zelda or FF or any other RPG. I think I've tried Landstalker and do like Gauntlet Legends, but I don't think those qualify. I like classic arcade action, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Almost, but I've played Mystic Quest all the way through, and tried a few minutes of another one in the series (forget which).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I haven't played a Final Fantasy game even though I own FF7 on PS1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since people are posting about other popular series they haven't played, I'll post a couple of mine:

-I haven't played any of the Halo games.
    -Other than fooling around with the first one on an emulator for about five minutes, I haven't played any Metal Gear.
    -I haven't played any of the Dragon Warrior/Quest games, but it's only a matter of time since I own the GBC ports of the first three games and DW Monsters (also on the GBC), and I'm interested in VIII for the PS2.
    -I also haven't played any of the Ratchet & Clank series, though I own the second and third games. I've been waiting to get a copy of the first game so I can start there.
    -The last one that comes to mind is Tomb Raider. It's also just a matter of time before that changes since I own 1-2, The Last Revelation on DC, and Legend on the Gamecube and DS.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Never played a Final Fantasy game on any system.

Also never played anything from these series listed below, both old ones and recent ones.......just coming up with these right off the top of my head.

-Crash Bandicoot
    -Jak and Daxter
    -Devil May Cry
    -Silent Hill
    -R Type
    -Bonk
    -Tekken
    -Need for Speed
    -Ikari Warriors
    -Harvest Moon
    -Super Smash Bros.
    -Mario Party
    -Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario (the RPG's)
    -Any Squaresoft "Mana" title
    -Phantasy Star
    -Call of Duty
    Last edited by bangtango; 03-01-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off of bangtango's list, I haven't played anything from:

-Devil May Cry (though I own the first one)
    -Silent Hill
    -Tekken (meh)
    -Harvest Moon (another "only a matter of time" series as I own HM games on the N64, Gamecube, and GBA)
    -Mario Party
    -Any "Mana" title (I finally acquired Secret of Mana last year, just gotta get myself to start it one of these days...)
    -Phantasy Star (another "only a matter of time" series, I own 2 and 3 on the Genesis)

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never played a Final Fantasy game, I still buy them though for trading only. Not really interested and don't have the time to invest in them. Never even really played an RPG for that matter. Tried to play Shenmue once, but got tired of not being able to do anything.

Might not be the best style of game for me, a guy with ADD.....