Thread: optical toslink cables: length vs. price

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default optical toslink cables: length vs. price

I originally wrote what is below, but you don't need to know all that. I'm just wondering why the price is higher for a 3ft toslink cable than a 6ft. See this page over at monoprice.com. Thanks in advance!

Okay, so I've been in need of a switchbox for some time, so I've been looking for a decent price on the much touted Pelican System Selector Pro that isn't the new one, because the old one is supposed to be best. Anyway, just bought one off eBay (I'm really hoping that's the right model and all... pretty sure it is). Now, of course, I need a couple more cables, particularly the optical one, which is the only one I currently have to manually switch (btwn computer and PS3). So I was looking over on monoprice.com, which I read was a good place for cables, and I see that the 3ft ones are more expensive than the 6ft ones. Is this just a matter of volume, or is there something else I should know about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that really doesn't make any sense. I could have sworn those prices were different a couple months ago. It might be because the 3 ft cables are in demand more, so they figure they could get away with charging more. I can vouch for the quality of the cables though. I bought four sets of the 6 ft premium opticals and they're great. Real sturdy all-around.

BTW, I use that exact same Pelican selector with my set up. Video quality isn't so great but it still has better features than the Pelican 2.0 selector. I hear on that one you have to manually switch between the multiple ethernet connections. I was planing on upgrading to one of those until I read that.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Thanks for the reply Nork. I went ahead and ordered 2 of the 6ft ones. I was surprised how much shipping went up for additional ones. I was going to buy 3, but that added another 4 or 5 bucks in shipping, and it was going to be a 'just in case' cable.