Thread: slim PS2 laser replacement -- another update

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default slim PS2 laser replacement -- another update

I'm just full of questions these days...

It finally happened, I got ripped off. I bought a slim PS2 w/ a bunch (~50) of disc only ps1 games for 60 bucks from a guy off craigslist. I saw the warning signs before meeting the guy ('lost' the a/v cable, no contact info, etc), but then when I met him in the parking lot of McD's I just got stupid and didn't pop the lid to look at the laser. It is clearly damaged... cloudy and even chipped a bit.

So, no my options are to sell the thing for parts or buy a new laser. I see you can get them off eBay for pretty cheap from Hong Kong. Does anyone have experience with any of this? Any recommendations? I know I'll have to confirm which laser type is in there to get the right replacement, but other than that anything to look out for? Is it more trouble than it is worth?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Cornelius; 03-25-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To my knowledge all versions of the PS2 slim use the same laser type. Actually replacing the laser takes less than five minutes and is really painless. It is alot easier than the full size model.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starwander View Post
    To my knowledge all versions of the PS2 slim use the same laser type. Actually replacing the laser takes less than five minutes and is really painless. It is alot easier than the full size model.
    my brief reading says there are 2 that are interchangeable (sony and m???), and a third w/ different voltage (phillips?). I'll make triple sure before i order one.

Glad to hear it is an easy swap. I'm guessing the Hong Kong ones are pretty cheapy, but probably enough to get by for some time.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Be careful.

Make sure you're getting the whole laser mechanism and not just the laser itself. On the fat PS2's laser replacements are a breeze. Do this on a slim PS2 and you're in for a lot more work. It's not impossible but it's a lot more work. Still, if you can get the entire assembly it shouldn't cost much more and will take you a quarter of the time to perform.

Frame of reference: we no longer do slim PS2 laser replacements at my store because ultimately it's cheaper to buy a used PS2 slim than it is to have the laser replaced. Note that we charge 35 for the labor (which is negligible for you if you're doing it yourself) and 45 for the laser (which is only about 10 bucks above cost).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Be careful.

Make sure you're getting the whole laser mechanism and not just the laser itself. On the fat PS2's laser replacements are a breeze. Do this on a slim PS2 and you're in for a lot more work. It's not impossible but it's a lot more work. Still, if you can get the entire assembly it shouldn't cost much more and will take you a quarter of the time to perform.

Frame of reference: we no longer do slim PS2 laser replacements at my store because ultimately it's cheaper to buy a used PS2 slim than it is to have the laser replaced. Note that we charge 35 for the labor (which is negligible for you if you're doing it yourself) and 45 for the laser (which is only about 10 bucks above cost).
    I am not sure if I have just been lucky then, but I have replaced a number of dead PS2 lasers on the slim models without any problems. I never had to replace the assembly and the lasers were dirt cheap at only $12.00 each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Okay, so I got a new laser for this PS2 slim. It clearly needed it, as the old one was melted. However, I still have the same result: it boots up to the screen, but won't load a game. It seems the disc isn't spinning. With the cover off, and holding the two switches down, the laser moves into position and does a couple 'searches' (moves up and down), but that's all that happens.

So my question is, am I just sending good money after bad at this point? If a new spindle motor would probably fix it, where can I get one (I don't think I know the right name for it)? Is there something simple I've missed that might fix it?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you desoldered the anti-static points from your new laser?....Sometimes they need to be set before installing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Did you desoldered the anti-static points from your new laser?....Sometimes they need to be set before installing.
    No, I didn't know anything about this. I'll look into it and see what I can do. here's hoping...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

maybe you can help me make sure I don't screw this up and describe the points and what i need to do. Can't find a good description online or a pic, I'll keep looking, though.

I know the location is on that brown end-piece, but I don't see a difference between the new and old laser

edit: I was looking at the wrong place, I now see there is a glob of solder on the new one. Any technique recommendations? I don't have any braid, I've always gotten by blowing or just heating and pulling, but I've never had to do anything tricky at all. probably time to go buy that braid.
    Last edited by Cornelius; 03-21-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They are located in the ribbon cable area.They're 2 tiny dots(traces).Some vendors don't undo this step..

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pay close attention at the back of your old Laser and new Laser,right where the ribbon cable begins from the Laser head.You'll see the 2 tiny dots divided in the middle in the old Laser!..They need to be the same way in the new laser!...You can use a desoldering iron or a Soldering Iron as well,but be carefull and gentle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

pretty sure I've found the spot. in this case I think it is only one dot of solder, though. It looks like this:

will it have been harmed by hooking it up without desoldering first?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jackpot!...That's the one!...
    Under that solder blog is going to look like there are two tiny traces running through that spot once the solder is gone.
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 03-21-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Jackpot!...That's the one!...
    Under that solder blog is going to look like there are two tiny traces running through that spot once the solder is gone.
    I think now it is incumbent upon me to start a blog called "solder blog" in which I detail my misadventures as an amateur (well, noob is probably more apt, amateur is more credit than I deserve) trying to repair video game stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

well, I now have a fully functional PS1 player. Plays PS1 discs fine, but is clicky and won't read PS2 purple or silver discs. Or regular video DVDs either.

ugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looked like there was two solder points. How many did you unsolder? Im really not to sure on this one because whenever I get slim lasers they are always desoldered. UMMmmm it sounds like you have another bad laser.
    Last edited by RyanMurf; 03-21-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you removed the solder correctly?....or did you mess with other board electronic parts before this?....Always comeback and re-think to the first point where you started messing with the system before assuming other things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Did you removed the solder correctly?....or did you mess with other board electronic parts before this?....Always comeback and re-think to the first point where you started messing with the system before assuming other things.
    I didn't mess with anything else that I know of. The two lines look very clean and the solder came off very easily. I only ever touched the iron to the braid briefly. I did use a 30W iron instead of the recommended 20-25, so I guess it is possible I fried something. My multimeter died, so when I get a new one I'll check the pots.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the 30w iron would have damaged it..unless you touched other parts of the ribbon cable,which I really doubt....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Well, I managed to tweak the potentiometers and it seems to work fine now. Unfortunately I managed to bust the power switch at some point, so testing had to continue with a power switch from another PS2. The CD pot was at 705 ohms, and I brought it down to 600. The DVD pot was at 745, and I believe I brought it down to 670. These numbers are odd compared to what I'd seen for the 'stock' values (300-450 for CD; 900-920 for the DVD), but I guess being (presumably) aftermarket lasers you wouldn't expect that the lasers would operate at the same power as the originals.

After verifying that it works, my meager soldering skills were enough to fix the power switch, until I put the lid back on, and there wasn't enough clearance, so the switch popped back off. This time one of the contacts on the PCB peeled off, so I'm pretty much screwed. At least it is only a matter of throwing another 10-15 bucks at it, since the PCBs w/ switch are incredibly easy to swap.

edit: anyone have a good source for these?
    Last edited by Cornelius; 03-25-2008 at 02:30 PM.