Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Wow!

That's really strange considering that there's video confirmation of that game working.

I'm assuming that you made sure that the game was totally clean before attempting it, as the pinsets on my RetroDuo grip VERY soft, so, if the pins aren't clean - you might have an issue with it not booting.

Were there any software, or cartridge hardware revisions made to Super Mairo RPG during it's production that could be causing this specific instance of non-compatibility?

Interestingly, there are several reports of instances of Mario RPG working fine on FC Twins, and others claiming that it doesn't work on those ... perhaps the problem lies in a production run of Mario RPG and not either of the game units.

*EDIT* I did a quick bit of Google-research, and it looks like some people claim that Super Mario RPG has 3 software versions in the USA V1.0, V1.2 and V1.3 (found through SNES ROM dumping) ... 2 and 3 apparently have some type of verification code within the SA-1 chip that checks for authentic SNES lockout hardware. SO, it looks like SMRPG V1.0 is the one that runs on all SNES Clones (in the case of reports that it works on the FC Twin) That sucks! Sorry man, maybe there will be a work-around in the future.
    Yea the pins were clean and it worked on my SNES. Oh well the game was a freind of mines and the whole reason he got rid of his FC Twin was because it wouldnt play Super Mario RPG. As for there being different versions of the game, I figured thats what it was so I guess when I buy it myself Ill have to hope that its a version 1.0. Anyways thanks for the info frankie I really appreciate it.

:EDIT: oh yea the grips on mine are also really soft. The nes one is soft too and i was pretty surprised when it took a bit of force to pull it out.
    Last edited by Nero 99; 03-16-2008 at 02:31 AM.
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quick update, I got my Black RetroDuo today. I can confirm the following work:

NES:

-NWC 1990 Repro cart from RetroUSB
    -Super Mario Bros. 2 Japanese Repro cart
    -California Raisins Repro Cart
    -Earthbound Zero Repro Cart
    -Drac's Night out Repro Cart

SNES:

-Stunt Race FX SNES cart
    #vbender

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wonder if it's possible to get RGB out of these units (with a mod, obviously). I'd love to do RGB on the NES without destroying a Nintendo-made arcade board...

Anybody seen this done/attempted before?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I don't suppose there is such a thing as an S-Video to RGB adapter? Is there?

Also, for anybody interested - I revised the CRAP out of the first post, which was getting rather messy and unwieldy.

I'll now be keeping a running tally of compatible/incompatible hardware and software there. Take a look-see!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I don't suppose there is such a thing as an S-Video to RGB adapter? Is there?
    Probably, but such a thing would not improve anything since the source is still the s-video output.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, gosh. I guess I'm going to have to post some pictures of my own here -- I have a white unit.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WoW!...I can't believe it!
    This little beast has a Samsung KA2198BD RGB Encoder PAL/NTSC.Therefore it has RGB outputs.Modding Time!..Get Yours while they last!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    This little beast has a Samsung KA2198BD RGB Encoder PAL/NTSC.Therefore it has RGB outputs.Modding Time!..Get Yours while they last!
    can you explain in plain english what this means?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Interesting info!

If you don't fubar your unit in the process of making it RGB - please be sure to make some modification diagrams and post them.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm interested now

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its me again....I got another set of the Retro Duo today(Black model)...I did some comparison side by side between the 2 models(White/Black),and found just a few differences.It seems to be more than one revision made to the Retro Duo mother board.The only change that I noticed between them was just a chip...For some reason the controllers included with the white model are better responding than the ones found with the Black one,specially with fighting games such as Street Fighter II where you have to make all sorts of moves...The white system cartridge ports seem to hold in place the games better.The cartrige ports found in the Black model are a bit more loose when inserting a game...the s-video signals provided by the white model are just a notch cleaner than the black one,but the sound is much better within the black system.They both have the same Samsung RGB encoder!...If you are curious to see what the Retro Duo motherboard looks like,take a look!...

http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/HPIM5847.JPG

There is a clock missing in both of the boards but I'm thinking that it may be for the PAL systems.
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 03-28-2008 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Its me again....I got another set of the Retro Duo today(Black model)...I did some comparison side by side between the 2 models(White/Black),and found just a few differences.It seems to be more than one revision made to the Retro Duo mother board.The only change that I noticed between them was just a chip...For some reason the controllers included with the white model are better responding than the ones found with the Black one,specially with fighting games such as Street Fighter II where you have to make all sorts of moves...The white system cartridge ports seem to hold in place the games better.The cartrige ports found in the Black model are a bit more loose when inserting a game...the s-video signals provided by the white model are just a notch cleaner than the black one,but the sound is much better within the black system.They both have the same Samsung RGB encoder!...If you are curious to see what the Retro Duo motherboard looks like,take a look!...

http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/HPIM5847.JPG

There is a clock missing in both of the boards but I'm thinking that it may be for the PAL systems.
    GREAT info!

Admittedly a bit of it is greek to me, but I understand the concept of A/V output mods.

Keep us posted if you attempt an RGB mod.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lovablechevy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its me again....I got another set of the Retro Duo today(Black model)...I did some comparison side by side between the 2 models(White/Black),and found just a few differences.It seems to be more than one revision made to the Retro Duo mother board.The only change that I noticed between them was just a chip...For some reason the controllers included with the white model are better responding than the ones found with the Black one,specially with fighting games such as Street Fighter II where you have to make all sorts of moves...The white system cartridge ports seem to hold in place the games better.The cartrige ports found in the Black model are a bit more loose when inserting a game...the s-video signals provided by the white model are just a notch cleaner than the black one,but the sound is much better within the black system.They both have the same Samsung RGB encoder!
    huh... that's really weird! thanks for this tid-bit! i only have a white one so i wouldn't know there was a difference. of course, i bought my brother a black one, but he hasn't even opened it yet.