Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Wirestone View Post
    "When ONLY the S-VIDEO cable is plugged in NES games DO NOT DISPLAY ON SCREEN, so you need to either have both in and deal with the strange NES resolution, or unplug the S-VIDEO on both ends when using the NES side of the system. (SEE VIDEO OUTPUT COMPARISON BELOW)"

Frankie, it's interesting you say that. I also have a Retro Duo (I contributed to the earlier thread) and I tried this just this evening. Used only the S-video cables on each side. The NES games still displayed on the screen.

And I'm still getting a drop in the quality of the composite signal on the SNES. NES looks great on composite, crappy on S-video. The opposite for SNES. I'm heartened to see that someone else has duplicated my experience with the NES signal -- now what about the SNES one?
    Interesting. I'll have to do some further tests on the S-Video display.

Perhaps it was because I had a game in the SNES slot at the time I tried it.

Though, if it turns out that it doesn't display any differently than my S-Video tests above...I guess it's moot.

Looks like I'll also have to do a photo comparison between SNES AV and S-Video. Though, while the SNES did look BETTER with S-Video in terms of crisp-ness, I didn't think that the games looked "crappy" with the AV cables - there was no "static resolution tearing" (or whatever you want to call that effect) issues like on the NES. What you see in the video is SNES on AV if that's any indication of the quality of AV inputs for now.

Give me a bit of time and I'll do a photo comparison, however, I won't be able to add it to to first post, as it's exceeded it's photo limitations.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always seen them on Ebay, And wondered if they actually worked.

Do you own a original NES?, I just bought a New 72 pin.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, this is what I can tell you. The NES through S-video is definitely the worst. But with SNES through regular AV, I get some "crawling" effects onscreen. That is, you can make out all the pixels and colors, but there's almost a shifting, moving screen underneath them. Definitely odd, but still more playable than the NES/S-video.

That said, the SNES S-video and NES composite both look terrific. And everything I have has played well.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had mine for a few weeks and love it.......however...

I can't get past the 2nd stage in Battletoads. I've tried 5 times and every time, the game hangs up at different points. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How much is it..I might get one down the road

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The machine is saving you for hours of frustration with Battletoads. Its a new extra feature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just found the price on ebay duh

Can it work with Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES) & Akumajo Densetsu (Famicom)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gamingking View Post
    I've always seen them on Ebay, And wondered if they actually worked.

Do you own a original NES?, I just bought a New 72 pin.
    Of course.

I have an official US top-loader, with two "dogbone" controllers. The unit is un-modified and in great working condition.

I'd also like to pick up a nice condition toaster unit with a new 72 pin at some point in the future.

And while sometimes I get the question "Why do you buy those things if you have a real NES?" - I can't really give a "logical" explanation why. I'm just fascinated with famiclones.

Nickerous - that sucks about Battletoads ... I saw a report that the game hangs after level 2, but I don't own it, so I can't verify whether or not it does that on mine.

We'll definitely add that to the list of games on the software test run at NAVA.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nickerous View Post
    I can't get past the 2nd stage in Battletoads. I've tried 5 times and every time, the game hangs up at different points. Anyone else having this problem?
    Yes, this also happens on a SNES Super 8 adapter. I think this is one of those games that gets listed as compatible on Famiclones simply because it boots up, but was not thoroughly tested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

holy crap!!!! I got my retro duo yesterday and every game i tried on it worked except one. the one game that every one was making a big deal about the retro duo for! the one game that didnt work was super mario rpg. i am so stunned that it works on every retro duo exept mine. im at a loss for words.....
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 99 View Post
    holy crap!!!! I got my retro duo yesterday and every game i tried on it worked except one. the one game that every one was making a big deal about the retro duo for! the one game that didnt work was super mario rpg. i am so stunned that it works on every retro duo exept mine. im at a loss for words.....
    Wow!

That's really strange considering that there's video confirmation of that game working.

I'm assuming that you made sure that the game was totally clean before attempting it, as the pinsets on my RetroDuo grip VERY soft, so, if the pins aren't clean - you might have an issue with it not booting.

Were there any software, or cartridge hardware revisions made to Super Mairo RPG during it's production that could be causing this specific instance of non-compatibility?

Interestingly, there are several reports of instances of Mario RPG working fine on FC Twins, and others claiming that it doesn't work on those ... perhaps the problem lies in a production run of Mario RPG and not either of the game units.

*EDIT* I did a quick bit of Google-research, and it looks like some people claim that Super Mario RPG has 3 software versions in the USA V1.0, V1.2 and V1.3 (found through SNES ROM dumping) ... 2 and 3 apparently have some type of verification code within the SA-1 chip that checks for authentic SNES lockout hardware. SO, it looks like SMRPG V1.0 is the one that runs on all SNES Clones (in the case of reports that it works on the FC Twin) That sucks! Sorry man, maybe there will be a work-around in the future.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-16-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Wow!

That's really strange considering that there's video confirmation of that game working.

I'm assuming that you made sure that the game was totally clean before attempting it, as the pinsets on my RetroDuo grip VERY soft, so, if the pins aren't clean - you might have an issue with it not booting.

Were there any software, or cartridge hardware revisions made to Super Mairo RPG during it's production that could be causing this specific instance of non-compatibility?

Interestingly, there are several reports of instances of Mario RPG working fine on FC Twins, and others claiming that it doesn't work on those ... perhaps the problem lies in a production run of Mario RPG and not either of the game units.

*EDIT* I did a quick bit of Google-research, and it looks like some people claim that Super Mario RPG has 3 software versions in the USA V1.0, V1.2 and V1.3 (found through SNES ROM dumping) ... 2 and 3 apparently have some type of verification code within the SA-1 chip that checks for authentic SNES lockout hardware. SO, it looks like SMRPG V1.0 is the one that runs on all SNES Clones (in the case of reports that it works on the FC Twin) That sucks! Sorry man, maybe there will be a work-around in the future.
    Yea the pins were clean and it worked on my SNES. Oh well the game was a freind of mines and the whole reason he got rid of his FC Twin was because it wouldnt play Super Mario RPG. As for there being different versions of the game, I figured thats what it was so I guess when I buy it myself Ill have to hope that its a version 1.0. Anyways thanks for the info frankie I really appreciate it.

:EDIT: oh yea the grips on mine are also really soft. The nes one is soft too and i was pretty surprised when it took a bit of force to pull it out.
    Last edited by Nero 99; 03-16-2008 at 02:31 AM.
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quick update, I got my Black RetroDuo today. I can confirm the following work:

NES:

-NWC 1990 Repro cart from RetroUSB
    -Super Mario Bros. 2 Japanese Repro cart
    -California Raisins Repro Cart
    -Earthbound Zero Repro Cart
    -Drac's Night out Repro Cart

SNES:

-Stunt Race FX SNES cart
    #vbender

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wonder if it's possible to get RGB out of these units (with a mod, obviously). I'd love to do RGB on the NES without destroying a Nintendo-made arcade board...

Anybody seen this done/attempted before?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I don't suppose there is such a thing as an S-Video to RGB adapter? Is there?

Also, for anybody interested - I revised the CRAP out of the first post, which was getting rather messy and unwieldy.

I'll now be keeping a running tally of compatible/incompatible hardware and software there. Take a look-see!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Updated the 1st page of the thread with a new compatibility issue regarding slow-down on an SNES game. (Thanks Nero99!)

I haven't experienced it on any games in my collection, but it's something to look out for in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't suppose there is such a thing as an S-Video to RGB adapter? Is there?
    Probably, but such a thing would not improve anything since the source is still the s-video output.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, gosh. I guess I'm going to have to post some pictures of my own here -- I have a white unit.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lovablechevy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Incompatible
    • Battletoads (Hangs after level 2.)
    • Gauntlet (Both NES and Tengen releases do not boot.)
    i would have to disagree with this list. i have not personally tested battletoads yet, but it has been proven to play through to the third level. and i can personally attest to the fact that the tengen release of gauntlet works. i've played it for a few hours. however, paperboy definitely does not work.

if anyone is interested in another person's review and aspect of this system, along with a compatibility list, feel free to go here.

pages 5, 6, and 7 discuses battletoads. apparently, people have gotten different results. pages 6 and 7 discuss the successful play of it. maybe this game has different versions like super mario rpg does...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by lovablechevy View Post
    i would have to disagree with this list. i have not personally tested battletoads yet, but it has been proven to play through to the third level. and i can personally attest to the fact that the tengen release of gauntlet works. i've played it for a few hours. however, paperboy definitely does not work.

if anyone is interested in another person's review and aspect of this system, along with a compatibility list, feel free to go here.

pages 5, 6, and 7 discuses battletoads. apparently, people have gotten different results. pages 6 and 7 discuss the successful play of it. maybe this game has different versions like super mario rpg does...?
    Okay ... In that case I'll change them to "varied instances of working/not in the wild".

Yeah, perhaps there are varied versions of both games (Battletoads and Gauntlet) with some versions being able to boot and others not. Paperboy comes as a surprise ... however the less played of that version of the game the better.

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to give that a good read and compare notes.