Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 99 View Post
    holy crap!!!! I got my retro duo yesterday and every game i tried on it worked except one. the one game that every one was making a big deal about the retro duo for! the one game that didnt work was super mario rpg. i am so stunned that it works on every retro duo exept mine. im at a loss for words.....
    Wow!

That's really strange considering that there's video confirmation of that game working.

I'm assuming that you made sure that the game was totally clean before attempting it, as the pinsets on my RetroDuo grip VERY soft, so, if the pins aren't clean - you might have an issue with it not booting.

Were there any software, or cartridge hardware revisions made to Super Mairo RPG during it's production that could be causing this specific instance of non-compatibility?

Interestingly, there are several reports of instances of Mario RPG working fine on FC Twins, and others claiming that it doesn't work on those ... perhaps the problem lies in a production run of Mario RPG and not either of the game units.

*EDIT* I did a quick bit of Google-research, and it looks like some people claim that Super Mario RPG has 3 software versions in the USA V1.0, V1.2 and V1.3 (found through SNES ROM dumping) ... 2 and 3 apparently have some type of verification code within the SA-1 chip that checks for authentic SNES lockout hardware. SO, it looks like SMRPG V1.0 is the one that runs on all SNES Clones (in the case of reports that it works on the FC Twin) That sucks! Sorry man, maybe there will be a work-around in the future.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-16-2008 at 01:02 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"