Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RetroDuo NES/SNES Clone Official Thread. Castlevania III, StarFox WORK, SMRPG WARNING

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

I've tried a RetroDuo, its a pretty solid unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea this review helped me find the retro duo is a good fit for me, so i recently just got one. plays all my games fine, other than some nes games being a bit hard to pull out its a pretty damn good buy.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So... in my endless quest to defeat my television's composite input artifacting, I replaced my stereo receiver. While my main motivation was to get digital audio from the new consoles, I also wanted one that performed video upscaling.

I went with the Harman Kardon AVR-247, and found a good deal on a factory refurbished model. After testing the audio, the first thing that I hooked up to it was the Duo. Upscaling to 480p over HDMI, the composite input looked great... for a few seconds. The beautiful uncorrupted image would float from the bottom to the top of the screen, then flicker and go blank for a few seconds, and it would loop, on both NES and SNES. Same thing with S-Video.

When I tried the component output, I got a stable image, but the top third was all wavy. The receiver has an A and B output mode, but neither seemed to make a difference on either input.

I got my N64 to output a stable upscaled image with S-Video, but it was black every other frame. I suppose it's kinda like a stereoscopic effect, but still...

Dreamcast over S-Video was fine.

This leads me to believe that the RD is outputting in an odd video format. I know that the NES had off-screen overscan areas, so maybe it's emulating that. I'm wondering if there's any kind of device I can run the signal through to do away with it. A "VGA box" might work, and Yobo makes one that's ~$50 shipped on Amazon.

I'm beginning to wonder if doing a component mod to my RD would be a better option. Has anybody written up an easy-to-follow guide yet? I'm sure that I could do it, but I'll need more than just a schematic.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

ooXxXoo probably knows how to do it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    So... in my endless quest to defeat my television's composite input artifacting, I replaced my stereo receiver. While my main motivation was to get digital audio from the new consoles, I also wanted one that performed video upscaling.

I went with the Harman Kardon AVR-247, and found a good deal on a factory refurbished model. After testing the audio, the first thing that I hooked up to it was the Duo. Upscaling to 480p over HDMI, the composite input looked great... for a few seconds. The beautiful uncorrupted image would float from the bottom to the top of the screen, then flicker and go blank for a few seconds, and it would loop, on both NES and SNES. Same thing with S-Video.

When I tried the component output, I got a stable image, but the top third was all wavy. The receiver has an A and B output mode, but neither seemed to make a difference on either input.

I got my N64 to output a stable upscaled image with S-Video, but it was black every other frame. I suppose it's kinda like a stereoscopic effect, but still...

Dreamcast over S-Video was fine.

This leads me to believe that the RD is outputting in an odd video format. I know that the NES had off-screen overscan areas, so maybe it's emulating that. I'm wondering if there's any kind of device I can run the signal through to do away with it. A "VGA box" might work, and Yobo makes one that's ~$50 shipped on Amazon.

I'm beginning to wonder if doing a component mod to my RD would be a better option. Has anybody written up an easy-to-follow guide yet? I'm sure that I could do it, but I'll need more than just a schematic.
    Some scaler chips do not support the 240p resolution used by old game systems. The N64 and Dreamcast are outputting 480i, so those work fine. Whereas the Genesis, SNES, NES etc. actually output 240p. I have a Yamaha receiver that won't scale from those systems either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im on my second 3 slot that means NES, Sega Genesis and SNES. First one died as too much booze got in my system from drunks at my old condo.

Now Im on a new one and the wires on the controllers are coming out. They couldve made the controllers reach longer. Mine cant even get to the couch. Also my Genesis port dims to black. Im thinking the system is going to die or it's burning out. This system has been well played at my house.

STILL the originals are so much better but for compact wise...the 3 slot is the way to go.

The Best Fighter in HISTORY!!!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneclown View Post
    Im on my second 3 slot that means NES, Sega Genesis and SNES. First one died as too much booze got in my system from drunks at my old condo.

Now Im on a new one and the wires on the controllers are coming out. They couldve made the controllers reach longer. Mine cant even get to the couch. Also my Genesis port dims to black. Im thinking the system is going to die or it's burning out. This system has been well played at my house.

STILL the originals are so much better but for compact wise...the 3 slot is the way to go.
    It's a shame that the 3 slots (the FC 3 and the Retron) don't have the NES compatibility of the Retro Duo.

(Also double shame that the Retron has IR wireless instead of RF)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just an fyi...

My copy of madmax for the nes didint work.
    It starts up but the controller dosent work.

I know, i know madmax is a crappy nes game but i love the movies!!!! oh well guess im stuck playing outlander for the snes side. Just squint my eyes and make belive!!!lol
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys , I want to report that all the SNES Copier units that I tried on Retro Duo work perfectly ,not sure if that a new discovery though.

Anyway a new snes flashcard (Everdrive) I just bough is on it's way here, will see if it works on Retro Duo or not.