Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A personal epiphany: no, all my consoles don't need to be hooked up

This is just something I've realized about my game setup and my life... I used to desire all my consoles placed on shelves beside their respective game collections, all hooked up in my home theater at the same time with high quality switchboxes and whatnot. Now I've given up that dream. It's a logistical nightmare having this huge videogame setup with your high tech AV setup. It looks ugly. 9/10 people don't understand. It's just not elegant.

Essentially, I've given up the "room of doom"

I've decided to keep the modern consoles out with my living room setup (which 9/10 people DO understand.) No game boxes, even. The whole thing is so clean, and so much more zen. The retro videogame collection IS shelved in a cool displayed way.... but tucked away into the bedroom.

some revelations (some might be obvious to some people.. but it was not obvious to me in my previous ideology)

1. There is a 14 inch TV to demo the "retro" collection on a whim (appropriately retro itself)... but the actual idea is that if you want to play SNES games on the home theater.. you can. Just lug it out to the main TV like the old days. It's much more fun to bring out the whole console anyway. I suppose I treat old consoles like those "TV Games" now. The truth is that this is how game consoles were originally designed and used by the Japanese... they actually put the game machine away in the box when they aren't using it. I always treated it like a permanent fixture like a microwave or something. If you look at the toylike designs of the consoles you see that they are meant to be lugged around.

2. Backwards compatibility takes care of 99% of the games I want to play in the home theater. Sometimes I secretly rooted for the end of BC because it would make my old consoles obsolete. How silly that was. My PS3 is 100% a PS1 and 2 (I have the 60GB model). My Wii is 100% a Gamecube and also has the VC. Most Xbox classics work on 360. This is simplification... and at social gatherings where people play games... the less technological complication the better. You just want to play the games.

3. There is very little complication with wiring. I keep a Gamecube S-video monster cable hooked up to service most old Nintendo systems. I used to wish I had 3 of these to keep SNES/N64/Cube hooked up the the same time. Why, when you could just swap one cable? Most other old consoles have proprietary composite or s-video connections, and this is where the front inputs on my theater receiver are my best friend.

So... just some alternate thoughts on the topic of game collection and setup. I know I obsessed over how to build the "perfect game room" for years... but the unfortunate side effect of that mess is that it is such a spectacle, and very hard to manage. Now I just have a shelved game collection in my bedroom with no logistical concerns... The actual game playing is done in a clean room that is intended for living. I'm much happier.

okay, so I do have an Arkanoid machine in my living room, but that is pure class man

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm there with you. I understand where you're coming from and I think it's certainly reasonable ... though, personally I couldn't care whether or not people "understood" my previous attempts at "room(s) of doom".

I currently have my Wii, 360, PS3 and a mod-chipped PS1 with a CDR with the "It Might Be NES" emulator and close to every single US NES ROM on it out in my living room. (As well as a MAME cab.)

I also have a switchbox and a TV setup that allows for quick attachment of my PSP video output, or any classic systems that I bring out of storage if I feel like it.

While my apartment is pretty large for the rent that I pay and the location that I'm in, I prefer to keep a majority of my classic collection in storage in my art studio/weight room. Though I do my best to keep it all categorized in varying size plastic boxes/storage tubs so when I DO want to rock the Atari 2600, I can grab those specific tubs, play, and when I'm done it can all neatly go back into storage.

I would like to have a room dedicated to gaming in the future, and I'm sure when I own some property and have the extra space that I'll do that ... but for now, there are great options for playing classics through modern systems, and I only have so many hours in the day to game anyway.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

to save room I emulate the NES and Genesis on PS2 and Dreamcast.

Not ALL NES games seem to work though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) debian4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thedeityofhardcore View Post
    to save room I emulate the NES and Genesis on PS2 and Dreamcast.

Not ALL NES games seem to work though.
    How do you emulate an NES on a PS2?

Regards,

Brian

Insert Coin (Level 0) debian4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep my NES, PS2, Gamecube hooked up to main tv's. I keep my TI99/4a hooked up to a 15 inch TV. I want to get a Commodore monitor for it for nostalgia sakes and hook my TI up to it.

Regards,

Brian.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by debian4life View Post

Regards,

Brian
    "It Might Be NES" will run on a mod-chipped PS2 or one with a flip-top-lid PS2 and the Gameshark 2 PS1 disc that came with the early versions of Gameshark 2 for PS2.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know where your coming from. I have a nearly perfect set up right now.A finished basement devoted gaming and displaying my collection. I have multiple systems all set up, along with surround sound, but it looks professional, no wires showing at all. I've come to the realization that I will probably do what you do if I decide to collect for any additional systems.Also we may move, so I may have to adjust to a smaller room.Right now my entire import collection is displayed on shelves with all the cover art on display when you walk in.That's one thing I won't change.For me collecting is all about the display.I put a lot of thought into the room itself so it looks neat and well thought out instead of cluttered.Problem is the bigger the collection gets the harder that becomes!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by debian4life View Post

Regards,

Brian
    I run an NES emulator on Dreamcast. Genesis on PS2.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I'm there with you. I understand where you're coming from and I think it's certainly reasonable ... though, personally I couldn't care whether or not people "understood" my previous attempts at "room(s) of doom".
    I don't particularly care either, but it does project an image and affects the outcome of my life. I have more of a need for a comfortable socializing living room environment than a hardcore gamers den at this point in my life (I am recently single again). Not passing judgement on the great rooms of doom... it's just that I don't want everyone who passes through my house to be constantly thinking about videogames. Those who want to game can "opt in" and ask me about my collection (and how)

Perhaps it is a different story if you can home a dedicated RoD stashed somewhere in the house though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BocoDragon View Post
    I've decided to keep the modern consoles out with my living room setup (which 9/10 people DO understand.) No game boxes, even. The whole thing is so clean, and so much more zen. The retro videogame collection IS shelved in a cool displayed way.... but tucked away into the bedroom.
    That's almost exactly how my setup is, save for the game box part. All my systems are set on various shelves on display (or put in my closet if I don't have room). If I want to play a particular system, I just bring it over to my desk and hook it up. The only system that's hooked up full-time is the PS2, since it doubles as my DVD player.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

I have 2 TV's in my living room. 1 with PS2, DC, LaserActive, SMS. The other has Wii, 3DO, Saturn, NES, SNES. I have games displayed loose and boxed on shelves. My Handheld collection is displayed crappy i need to make shelves. I will get on my upstairs/bedroom later since I am at work.

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate having loads of cables and controllers to unravel, then find the power supply unit and lug the whole thing to the television to set up, then set the television to take the side inputs, use the television audio and not main audio setup - anyway, for those of you interested, I am in the process of making a single multi-platform system in two parts; one with the PSone screen and all manor of controls and Li-ions, and the other half which will clip in place, to connect a system into it. The system will work as a stand-alone independent portable, but also can connect to the television. Solves the issues mentioned about lots of trailing and tangled wires; and gives portability. The only space issues then are the game carts themselves, which I keep in boxes.

The systems this will work with will be N64, SNES, SMS, MegaDrive, PS1, GameCube, plug 'n' play. This project is a WIP in the www.benheck.com forum (the site is up and down a bit at the moment again), initially this project is under the "N64 forum" as I am doing this system first before moving onto SNES, etc.

This is not a pipe-dream, it is reality.

Insert Coin (Level 0) outofkeyslightly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a big proponent of keeping everything hooked up. Why the hell not? Games are worthless if they're not accessible. Yes, you could hook up that dusty nes any time you want, but do you really want to? My setup, although admittedly on the cheap, is a good example of how to keep things uncomplicated...

I have a black 3.25' x 1.75' x 1.75' tv stand. Sound tiny, right? Well, my TV is currently hooked up for six different inputs. I can watch or play games from the computer, with great 2.1 sound and two ps controller, one cordless, and then I have a Dreamcast, Gamecube, N64, Genesis/32x/cd (with enough room for game+genie) and a teeny DVD player. Sadly, there's a couple black switches that keep the av in line, but $15 is way better than $100+ for a good tuner. I also managed to cram 109 genesis games, 26 32x games, 24 n64 games and 56 Gamecube game into the little black wonder.

It's also worth mentioning that due to Jacqui's and I's bundle of weaselly joy, I zip-tied all the cords the best I could and managed to squeeze the entertainment center as close to the wall as humanly possible. The little bugger was stashing food behind the sega cd... Now he just tried to paw at the glass door on the front now and again. I kinda miss watching him climb to the summit of the 32X though. Congratulations Weasel, without the aid of a sherpa, you have managed to conquer mount 16-bit excess...
    Last edited by outofkeyslightly; 03-10-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by outofkeyslightly View Post
    I'm a big proponent of keeping everything hooked up. Why the hell not? Games are worthless if they're not accessible. Yes, you could hook up that dusty nes any time you want, but do you really want to? My setup, although admittedly on the cheap, is a good example of how to keep things uncomplicated...

I have a black 3.25' x 1.75' x 1.75' tv stand. Sound tiny, right? Well, my TV is currently hooked up for six different inputs. I can watch or play games from the computer, with great 2.1 sound and two ps controller, one cordless, and then I have a Dreamcast, Gamecube, N64, Genesis/32x/cd (with enough room for game+genie) and a teeny DVD player. Sadly, there's a couple black switches that keep the av in line, but $15 is way better than $100+ for a good tuner. I also managed to cram 109 genesis games, 26 32x games, 24 n64 games and 56 Gamecube game into the little black wonder.

It's also worth mentioning that due to Jacqui's and I's bundle of weaselly joy, I zip-tied all the cords the best I could and managed to squeeze the entertainment center as close to the wall as humanly possible. The little bugger was stashing food behind the sega cd... Now he just tried to paw at the glass door on the front now and again. I kinda miss watching him climb to the summit of the 32X though. Congratulations Weasel, without the aid of a sherpa, you have managed to conquer mount 16-bit excess...
    agreed, i also have animals to take into considerations. bunnies can be hell on wires. i used to have a very efficent and minimal set up. i live in a 2 room apartment so space is a premium. i did this through a pc to emulate and backwards compatable systems...and i hated it. it just wasn't the same and regardless how people talk about how emulation is almost perfect thats just it, ALMOST is not perfect. besides there is always that great feel of useing the origional hardware.

so as i said i had the opposite happen, i had a small efficiant setup and i went back to a monsterous multi system tangle of cords. my side of the bedroom now consists of 2 tv's a widescreen CRT HDTV and a RGB sony PVM with a combined total of 16 systems hooked up (or ready to be easily hooked up) plus a dvd player.

and I love it

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have two TV's in my "living room" (I have a studio apartment), one a 24" Philips on a bookshelf, hooked up to a cheap Yamaha surround setup with a cheap Philips DVD Recorder, a JVC S-VHS (for the collection of MST3K on VHS), and a PS2 and Xbox hooked up to it. This is on the wall opposite of my bed, for ultimate laziness. Directly to each side of the bookshelf are two stacks of Rubbermaid drawers, housing the VHS collection, Atari 2600, Genesis, etc...

The main TV is a 27" Sony Wega (bought the floor model at a local Sears for around $150 right before Xmas) and I currently just have a Wii and DVD player hooked up to the component input and an N64 (been playing No Mercy a lot lately) and a Dreamcast hooked up to the S-Video.

I sometimes question the validity of having more than one system hooked up at a time, as you can only play one at a time.

On a completely different topic, I discovered that-if I hooked up my older systems to the input on my DVD Recorder (which was then connected to the TV via component cables), that they looked absolutely vibrant and amazing. I suppose the DVD Recorder acts as a sort of video converter, or, at the very least, the picture is much more crisp. It was most noticeable on NES, SNES, and Dreamcast games. For that reason alone, I feel like hooking the old systems back up via that method...I showed my brother Sunset Riders via this method and his only response was: "You know, I normally can't tell the difference between all of these different hookups because I just don't care, but THIS looks AWESOME!"

I have the rest of the night off and most of tomorrow...I'm bored...and I'll be having gaming company tomorrow night...

What to do? Re-arrange? Tinker? Or just game...

I guess these are the sorts of problems you WANT to have in your life, right?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Clonus Horror View Post
    I sometimes question the validity of having more than one system hooked up at a time, as you can only play one at a time.
    I think it's a psychological thing. In personal experience I've found that if you only have one system hooked up, then you'll only ever want to play that one system--it'll be like the others don't even exist to you.

It's especially miserable when you get the sudden "I want to play that game" urge, and the game in question is on a system other than the one you have hooked up. Just the thought of having to drag out the system and go through the process of hooking it up is usually enough to kill one's enthusiasm (even if its not really that difficult a task), ergo most people's preference for hooking up multiple systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I've got a similar thing going based solely on the amount of space I have available; both shelf space and room on the outlet. I've got my more modern systems all hooked up, as well as a saturn, n64, japanese turbo duo, NES, and genesis combo. Then I have rotating game systems for older machines: Currently it's the 7800, Odyssey 2, and Turbografx 16. I am considering rotating the O2 out for something that takes up less space, though.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Actually, buying an HDTV has allowed me to simplify my setup, since I now have S-Video, component, VGA, and HDMI ports available, which simplifies things greatly.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to have an extra TV in the office just to hook up the older consoles but I gave it up. It was messy and since they were in the office they never got used, just got dusty. Now hooked up to our main TV are an xbox, Wii and PS2. I've got my toploader NES hooked up as well, but I've got to find somewhere to stick it in the entertainment centre.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After all that, I ended up doing this:

I put the 27" Wega on top of the bookshelf in front of my bed and hooked up the following, via the Yamaha Surround setup:
    -Xbox
    -PS2
    -NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast all hooked up through the Philips DVR (hooked up via component video)
    -JVC S-VHS VCR through S-video input

The Xbox, PS2, and the Philips DVR are all connected to the component input via a switcher.

On the 24" Philips Tv, across from the couch, I have a Panasonic Bookshelf DVD System (stereo) and the Wii hooked up with component via switcher. Then, I have my old record player and tape deck (!) hooked up via some computer speakers.

So, in the end, the "group" TV only has one console hooked up (the Wii), and the other systems are set up for uber-comfort. My girlfriend and I spent all afternoon in bed playing through a few levels of co-op Stubbs the Zombie and I must say that the set-up is working out great.

Although...I should mention that she did comment on the fact that there were "too many wires," and I have to agree that, though it doesn't exactly look like a rat's nest, it's not the most "Zen" arrangement, either.
    Last edited by The Clonus Horror; 03-30-2008 at 09:32 PM.