Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 2D V-Scrolling Shoot'em Ups Query???...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best 2D V-Scrolling Shoot'em Ups Query???...

Hi, I have just got through playing Banshee for the CD32, awesome, absolutly awesome. If you haven't already played it, you should get it. It was released for the Amiga A1200 and CD32 in 1994 by Core Design.

My question is, Do any of you guys know of any other legendary 2D V-Scrolling Shoot'em Ups that I should add to my collection???...

Please I need some more suggestions...

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Supposedly DoDonPachi, Radiant Silvergun, Irakuga, and the Raiden series are really good. DoDonPachi is really expensive though.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bangai-O?
    Tyrian 2000?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CartCollector View Post
    Supposedly DoDonPachi, Radiant Silvergun, Irakuga, and the Raiden series are really good. DoDonPachi is really expensive though.
    Don't you mean Radiant Silvergun?

VitaminX. if you dig vertical shooters, do yourself a favor and get a Sega Saturn that can play Japanese discs. It's got everything you need; Dodonpachi, plenty of Psikyo games like Strikers 1945 and Gunbird. Batsugun, Kingdom Grandprix, Layer Section... so many I can't possibly list them all. The Sega Saturn is THE system for shooters.

The Dreamcast also has good vertical shooters, don't pass up Under Defeat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Dodonpachi as well. It's a hell of a lot of fun and I love the difficulty balance in it. Daioujou was a good bit harder, but it really helped me get a shit load better at Dodonpachi

Gigawing was one of those games that I never really cared for back when it came out, but sometime in early 2004 I got caught up in an informal competition with a dude at an arcade to see who could get the highest score and/or 1CC it first. Played the fucking shit out of the game and totally got into it. There's a whole lot of fun to uncover in that sucker from learning the tempo of using the reflect force thingy. Much easier learning curve than say, Mars Matrix (which I also love!). The sequel is also fun and damn the haters, Gigawing Generations wasn't too bad (though it was a step down from the first two).

Raiden Fighters 2. Raiden. Fucking. Fighters. 2. Tough as nails but insanely addictive gameplay. I enjoy it more than Raiden DX, and I loved Raiden DX. Hell, I like it more than Raiden Fighters Jet and I sunk a shit load of change into that game back when it came out...somehow, RFJ2 is the one that's managed to hold my love for longer.

Guwange is a bit of an oddity since you control a walking dude instead of a flying ship (or flying dude). A bit like Gunsmoke, but with a little demon thingy you can whip out there like in Shikigami no Shiro and all sorts of other. A bit easier than everything else on my list, but no less awesome. Super fun co-op, too. Fire it up in MAME with a friend, tilt your monitor 90 degress, and rock the fuck out. I'd take this sucker over ESP RaDe, Dangun Feveron, Ibara, or Mushihimesama any day of the week (and I enjoy all of those).

There's a bunch of others that I really dig, but I'd hate to ramble on pointlessly about all of the vertical shmups that I adore

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you're getting a lot of suggestions, but here's one more: Under Defeat on the Dreamcast. It's a total classic blast-a-thon without so much of the emphasis on technique or gimmicks that most other modern shooters have (sometimes I love techniques and gimmicks, but sometimes I just want lots of explosions).

Oh, actually, I can't get away without also mentioning the Compile's whole line of vertical shooters. They have a lot of different names and appeared on almost every major system from the MSX to the SNES (Playstation?), but they all share some common themes and gameplay styles.

They're pretty much all very good shooters, so you should just try out any of them that are available for a system you have. In my opinion, though, the 8-bit ones like Gun*Nac and Power Strike suffer because the systems weren't quite up to the challenge of the games graphically. However, Blazing Lazers on the TurboGrafx and Space Megaforce on the SNES are both just mind blowing experiences. MUSHA on the Genesis is good, too, but a bit harder than the others, I think, which may be good or bad depending on how good *YOU* are.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played many shooters on consoles, but one of my favorite arcade games was Xevious.

I tried Mars Matrix and Ikaruga briefly on my Dreamcast, and found both of those very, very hard.

Question for those of you replying in this thread: Compared to Xevious in the arcade, how would you rank the difficulty of the shooters you're discussing here?
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Vert shooting is one of my favorite game genres.

I'd like to second Roushi's Raiden Fighters 2 suggestion, and add the original and the sequel - RF and Raiden Fighters Jet, all three great games. Might be coming out in Japan on disc for the 360 sometime.

A great game that's easy to get into but hard to master is NMK's Thunder Dragon 2, from 1993. The first game is crap, but the second is totally different and awesome.

Some of my other favorites - Twin Cobra, Flying Shark, Fire Shark (Genesis, anyway; arcade version's pretty tough), both Truxton/Tatsujin games - comprise most of the classic Toaplan back catalog. The original Truxton is a very hard game, with some pretty in-depth memorization needed all throughout each level as groups of big, tough enemies pop up with frequency - the game's basically a string of miniboss battles. Truxton II's levels feel too long, but has easier minibosses (as far as I've gotten, which isn't far) and a much harder first boss (especially if you're using the blue weapon, as its beams tend to obscure some nasty little arcing spark shots from the boss).

Raizing/Eighting/Etcera-ing (so many name changes) put out a fair number of well-regarded shooters. We're playing one over at SHMUPS Forum in Macaw's shooting tournament, Mahou Daisakusen / Sorcer Striker. They also released the legendary (tough) Battle Bakraid, which is insane. Haven't given it a lot of time, myself.

Irem put out some quality shooters, lots of horizontals, but among verts Image Fight stands out as one of the best, easily. I also like Air Duel, though most people hate it.

I also like Visco (Video System) games, although I don't play them often. Some are easy, some are harder: Turbo Force, the Aero Fighters games, Vasara 1 & 2, and Sengoku Ace which isn't by Visco but by a designer who left (so it's kind of like the Aero Fighters games, but with a different setting and much awesome).

Sengoku Ace's new developer was Psikyo, still going strong I think. They released a few games in the Strikers series, good fun WWII-themed shooters. I stay away from Strikers 1945 Plus, however, since it's running on the wrong system (Neo Geo hardware) for this sort of game.

Konami and Capcom put out some quality verts like A-Jax and 1941, but I haven't really gotten into those...

There's also similar games which don't have forced scrolling, like Ninja Emaki (at least it isn't forced most of the time, except for a flying scene and a boat ride).

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to recommend Galactic Attack for Saturn, truly amazing. Though it scrolls both v and h, Abadox is superb.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Galactic Attack is a great Saturn title to keep an eye out for. What systems do you have in mind? Games could be listed from all over the place and don't generally see too many "epics" residing in one place. As XYXZYZ said, the Saturn is full of win, just get import abilities and region switch is the best route.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Galactic Attack is a great Saturn title to keep an eye out for.
    That reminds me; the choice for Mr. Macaw's shooting tournament before Mahou Daisakusen was Guardian Force. You need a fairly good computer to MAME it though, because it's on ST-V.

Turns out a laptop format Core 2 T7700 will do the trick.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

M.U.S.H.A. for the Genesis, you'll love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

M.U.S.H.A for the Genesis, you'll love it.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Moving onto the SNES, I nominate Space Megaforce, otherwise known as Super Aleste.

Also, Pop n Twinbee, although that's more along the lines of the super cute.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About a year ago I began playing a game known as "Twinkle Star Sprites". Supposedly it's a vertical versus shooter with puzzle elements. After about 3 hours, I quickly realized that I was a fool and had no idea what I had been missing for the past 12 years. It deserves every single bit of hype it has received.

Edit: I forgot; this was a NeoGeo game, which made its way to the Saturn, which made its way to the PS2 eventually. It was developed by Alpha Denshi.

(Hello everyone.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to play the Saturn in TATE mode? I have an LCD TV so cannot move that. On my Dreamcast I use a VGA box to connect it to a CRT PC monitor that I turn on its side. I would love to get into some Saturn shooters but vertical shooters not in TATE just seems not as good after being spoiled by the Dreamcast ones.

Anyway, my favourite Dreamcast shooters are:
    Psyvariar 2 - the aim here is to skim as close as possible to as many bullets as you can
    Ikaruga - utilises colour switching to absorb bullets/power up your bomb
    Under Defeat - more straight forward shooting action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The best verticle sooter I have ever played?!?!?! This is an easy question. It would hands down be Silpheed on the Sega CD. The game doesn't look like much in screenshots but is pure bliss in motion. It came from Game Arts just before they hit their prime.

The game has the enemy wave patterns of Galaga with a score based weapon upgrade system. The classic shooter gameplay is set on top of mind-blowing FMV backdrops (No... Not like Novastorm) that draw much inspiration from Zaxxon.

I have yet to see the level design in this game be surpassed in another verticle shooter. This game is truley one of a kind. It took the best of the classics and refined it into something truely special.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2D V-Scrolling Shoot'em Ups Query???...

Guys Guys, Your knowledge is unpresedented, thankyou, its really appreciated. The list is getting very long, time to start collecting...

What do you guys reckon to The Raiden Project (PS1)???... I hear this a 2D V-Scrolling Shoot'em up game, supposed to be pretty rare. Should I add this to my list???...

Best 2D V-Scrolling Shoot'em Ups… Thus far...

Banshee (Amiga A1200, CD32)
    DoDonPachi (PS2)
    Daioujou (PS2)
    Radiant Silvergun
    Raiden Fighter
    Raiden Fighters 2
    Raiden Fighters Jet
    Bangai-O
    Tyrian 2000
    Irakuga (Dreamcast)
    Under Defeat (Dreamcast)
    Psyvariar 2 (Dreamcast)
    Mars Matrix (Dreamcast)
    Gigawing
    Guwange
    Blazing Lazers (TurboGrafx) and Space Megaforce (SNES) are both just mind blowing experiences.
    The best verticle shooter I have ever played? This is an easy question. It would hands down be Silpheed (Sega CD). I have yet to see the level design in this game be surpassed in another verticle shooter. This game is truley one of a kind. It took the best of the classics and refined it into something truely special.
    M.U.S.H.A. (Genesis) you'll love it.
    Thunder Dragon 2 (The first game is crap, but the second is totally different and awesome)
    Twin Cobra
    Flying Shark
    Fire Shark
    Truxton/Tatsujin
    Mahou Daisakusen/Sorcer Striker.
    They also released the legendary (tough) Battle Bakraid, which is insane.
    Image Fight stands out as one of the best, easily.
    Air Duel
    Turbo Force
    Aero Fighters games
    Vasara 1 & 2
    Sengoku Ace
    Ninja Emaki (at least it isn't forced most of the time, except for a flying scene and a boat ride).
    Konami and Capcom put out some quality verts like A-Jax and 1941.
    Guardian Force. You need a fairly good computer to MAME it though, because it's on ST-V.
    TouHou Project 8: Imperishable Night is a FANTASTIC bullet hell shooter with a great range of difficulty levels.
    Space Megaforce (SNES), otherwise known as Super Aleste (SNES).
    Pop n Twinbee (SNES) There's also similar games which don't have forced scrolling, like
    Galactic Attack (Saturn), truly amazing.
    Abadox is superb.
    About a year ago I began playing a game known as "Twinkle Star Sprites" (Neo-Geo, Saturn, PS2). Supposedly it's a vertical versus shooter with puzzle elements. After about 3 hours, I quickly realized that I was a fool and had no idea what I had been missing for the past 12 years. It deserves every single bit of hype it has received.

If you dig vertical shooters, do yourself a favor and get a Sega Saturn that can play Japanese discs. It's got everything you need; Dodonpachi, plenty of Psikyo games like Strikers 1945 and Gunbird. Batsugun, Kingdom Grandprix, Layer Section... so many I can't possibly list them all. The Sega Saturn is THE system for shooters. As XYXZYZ said, the Saturn is full of win, just get import abilities and region switch is the best route.

Anymore recommendations or games I may have missed???...