Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is now a good time to sell items to Europeans on Ebay?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    Paypal requires not only a confirmed address but online tracking which is expensive. Buyers don't want to pay that extra expense so if you take paypal the seller must take all the risk. Sure you make a few extra bucks on the honest folk but one bad buyer and there goes all that extra profit.
    Very true, but depending on the item, you can use an Express Mail Flat Rate envelope and get tracking and a speedy delivery for an acceptable price ($25 USD).

There's a four pound limit and that envelope isn't the best thing ever, but it works in a bind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Yes but there are problems.

1. They may still not have a confrimed address.
    2. Express may not be available in that country
    3. They often don't want to pay $25 for shipping for one game
    4. Big items well forget it.

If you do ship to Europe it can't be an open policy unless the items you sell are cheapos. If you sell expensive things you would need to sell with guidelines so you don't get burned. Of course they often won't read your guideline and will bid anyway then get upset when you stick to them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes its a gamble, but I think its worth the risk. You open up a large market that really want these games AND because of the weak US dollar they are willing to pay more for stuff. In the end even if they don't win, they are helping drive up the prices on the auctions.

On a side note I looked at the auctions I have running right now and every one of them has international bidders and many have high bid right now.

Shipping is always a concern, regardless of where you ship it. I also understand the risks with paypal, but with all the money order scams out there from overseas, paypal is actually safer than a money order. (and I am not a fan of paypal) There are risks involved with ANY ebay transaction, you just gotta try and balance the risk with the benefits, thats all.

Danny

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Very true, but depending on the item, you can use an Express Mail Flat Rate envelope and get tracking and a speedy delivery for an acceptable price ($25 USD).

There's a four pound limit and that envelope isn't the best thing ever, but it works in a bind.

Express Mail still does not show it "delivered" online to the address.

I had a HUGE issue with PayPal about this.

Their new policy means you are protected (if you sell a lot) if you ship to unconfirmed address.

However, when you ship something USPS Express to let's say the UK, I've had it show that it was delivered to England, but not to the exact "area" of the address like the zip code shows for domestic.

HUGE issue, and PayPal suggests shipping UPS or DHL. It's such a crock. PayPal just protects themselves, not the seller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Express Mail still does not show it "delivered" online to the address.

I had a HUGE issue with PayPal about this.

Their new policy means you are protected (if you sell a lot) if you ship to unconfirmed address.

However, when you ship something USPS Express to let's say the UK, I've had it show that it was delivered to England, but not to the exact "area" of the address like the zip code shows for domestic.

HUGE issue, and PayPal suggests shipping UPS or DHL. It's such a crock. PayPal just protects themselves, not the seller.
    I'm glad you brought this up. I'm well aware of paypal's new policy to give sellers protection against unconfirmed addresses, provided you can prove you sent the item with a tracking number. This is definitely a good change as far as sending items out in the US goes.

As for Europe and any other country, what the post office doesn't tell you is that the standard green/white customs slips you use to send items outside of the US can also be tracked...as far as the other country. Once it's there, you no longer get tracking info. But still, thats better than nothing. However, according to one of the above post--the UK side of paypal requires more proof than that. But I must be lucky, because I've never had any issue with anything I've sent over to Europe.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Next time you're in Europe, get a local bank account. In many countries its easy to do. Then you accept bank transfers. Transferring money in euros to other banks in europe is free for most people and quick and easy to do online. Europeans prefer it over paypal.

Then you can transfer the money (well, maybe not after every sale...) from your EU bank account to your US bank account, or simply get a VISA debit card connected to your EU bank account that you can use in the US.

OR, accept payments to a friend in Europe if you have one that you can trust.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can tell you I have bought TONS of stuff on ebay us lately.
    And when I mean tons, it's tons
    The dollar/euro rate is just too attractive. I avoid surfing on ebay.com nowadays, though, as my bank account starts to cry lol

Pretzel (Level 4) Dragon Warrior Jasen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live in Italy and I hate the current state of the dollar/euro. Its far too expensive.. I keep getting paid the same in dollars and everything becomes to freakign expensive to buy here out in town! Right now $1 only gets you .61 Euros. Which means. sell as much as you can to europe because they are getting ag reat freaking deal!
    Jasen's Customs, Like it on Facebook!

Tutorials on SuperGuns
    http://www.thesupergun.com

Rocking Out a Digital Press since 2007
    My Feedback here.