Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiiware developer says "XBLA is full of shit".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default Wiiware developer says "XBLA is full of shit".

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight......

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/17/wi...s-full-of-sh-t

Lets talk about "friend codes" or overpriced retro games, shall we?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

"According to the anonymous developer, the sheer glut of retro titles on XBLA makes it difficult for new properties to stand out"
    As if the Wii isn't worse?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"...Lets talk about "friend codes"....
    He doesn't seem to refer to the actual player identification issues / communications, however, there's no argument from me on friend codes; they need to go.

"....or overpriced retro games, shall we?...
    One of the magazines (or a web-site) actually added up the costs of the VC games vs real games, and the VC games came cheaper.

Not only that, and perhaps I'm a special case, I'll take $9 VC Neo-Geo games over the $25 MVS to $40 to 200 AES carts any day.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    Not only that, and perhaps I'm a special case, I'll take $9 VC Neo-Geo games over the $25 MVS to $40 to 200 AES carts any day.

dont forget the storage costs involved with old games. Having recently moved into my apartment, those damn games cost me a lot to move and gave me a workout!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

He doesn't seem to refer to the actual player identification issues / communications, however, there's no argument from me on friend codes; they need to go.

"....or overpriced retro games, shall we?...
    One of the magazines (or a web-site) actually added up the costs of the VC games vs real games, and the VC games came cheaper.

You're right, you only have to pay $9 for a rom running on a mediocre emulator as opposed to $25 (or less) for something you can own, resell and will play in the actual way it was supposed to play. That article you're talking about was a joke. It did nothing to factor in the financial value of actually owning something and being able to resell it as opposed to paying a lot for what you can download for free on most ROM sites.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would the Wii be any better in selling non established, "generic" than the XBLA? I know Nintendo makes a killing throwing out a bunch of games a week but those are mostly established, money making properities. Unless Nintendo intends to really market these original Wii ware games, I doubt they will do much better. Think about it though. How many people are going to pay $5 to play some unknown game calles Space Giraffe when they can pay $5 and get a game that they know and may have fond memories of such as Double Dragon?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some developers are just pissed off that microsoft limits the number of XBLA titles they release per week. If your game isn't up to snuff, you don't get to put it on XBLA.

Some of the same companies are also pretty upset that the certification process is brutal for XBLA titles. To which i say, make better games or die.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if xbla is selective, I'd hate to see what non-selective is. There's some loads of garbage that made on there.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I said they limited releases, i didn't say they limited them to quality titles...

How much do you think Yaris paid to have their game on XBLA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    You're right, you only have to pay $9 for a rom running on a mediocre emulator as opposed to $25 (or less) for something you can own, resell and will play in the actual way it was supposed to play. That article you're talking about was a joke. It did nothing to factor in the financial value of actually owning something and being able to resell it as opposed to paying a lot for what you can download for free on most ROM sites.
    IIRC, it also doesn't take into account how you'd store and access all those VC games. It's not like you can actually play them off an SD card, right? Or has that changed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Uh...the emulator runs fine. Having owned the AES carts, and currently own the MVS versions, Art of Fighting, World Heroes, and Fatal Fury are fine. Between $9 and a couple of Wii blocks, or $25 and having to drag out my Neo AES and Phantom, I'm all Wii.

But then again, each his own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

It should be noted that one of the folks mentioned in the original article had a proper beef with the slashed royalty rates, which is probably going to have a negative impact on the number of quality titles on XBLA. On the other hand, Mr. "full of shit" only mentions 'retro remakes' and comes off sounding like the dumbass he probably is.

Also, why even bring up Jeff Minter? Space Giraffe is pretty widely regarded as an epic failure, whereas I've gladly paid the points for Smash TV, Contra and Time Pilot: you just can't compare shit with champagne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Added another WiiWare developer, who also didn't want to be named: "Frankly, we're not looking at making games for Xbox Live Arcade because the service is full of shit," he said, pointing towards the service's number of retro remakes.
    XBox Live Arcade is full of shit? That's news to me. I think a very high percentage of the games available on the service are not just good, but great. And that percentage is much, much better than the percentage of even passably decent stuff on the Wii Virtual console or the Playstation store.

As for "retro remakes," I wonder what is being complained about. Yes, there are games like Joust and Frogger on XBox Live Arcade, but they're far from the majority of games. I suppose he may be complaining about games like Jetpak Refueled or Triggerheart Excelica, but if he is, he can shove it. How he justifies complaining about "retro remakes" while praising WiiWare is interesting, as Nintendo's downloadable offerings are absolutely packed with 15 year old console titles, most of which weren't even any good when they were new.

Maybe he's ignoring the Virtual Console. That seems like an odd line to draw. I don't see as Wii owners are going to make much of a distinction between Virtual Console games and Wiiware games any more than he makes the distinction between Live Arcade and XBox Classics or PS3 Store and PS1 Classics. When you look at it that way, which is the way any reasonable human being would, then the Wii is the console crowded with retro remakes.
    Or maybe he really likes Donkey Kong Jr Math, Urban Champion, Vegas Stakes, and Vigilante.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    if xbla is selective, I'd hate to see what non-selective is. There's some loads of garbage that made on there.
    QFT

a lot of the remakes are pretty terrible. but then you do get some amazing gems (mostly new content).

space giraffe was shoddy anyway, the guy who made it is just bitter nobody (or few people anyway) share his view of self proclaimed brilliance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    XBox Live Arcade is full of shit? That's news to me. I think a very high percentage of the games available on the service are not just good, but great. And that percentage is much, much better than the percentage of even passably decent stuff on the Wii Virtual console or the Playstation store.
    I think the reason the Playstation Store gets a free pass from so many people is the fact that there just aren't a lot of games available on it and the ratio of hit to shit is better based on that alone. Then again, Everyday Shooter and Pixeljunk Monsters are better than most of what's come out over XBLA in the past 6 months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there's more raw shit in the Wii retail libraray than there is on xbla, to be perfectly honest.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Uh...the emulator runs fine. Having owned the AES carts, and currently own the MVS versions, Art of Fighting, World Heroes, and Fatal Fury are fine. Between $9 and a couple of Wii blocks, or $25 and having to drag out my Neo AES and Phantom, I'm all Wii.

But then again, each his own.
    Well, if you're going to go the emulation route, why pay Nintendo's inflated prices? Why not just buy the various SNK collections for those games which go for $10 at Best Buy (ok, World Heroes is $15 since it just came out). That's $5 a game on average as opposed to $9, plus you have a physical disc with resale value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

If the Wiiware is anything like the Wii Retail releases its going to be shovelware in downloadable form. Yes, XBLA has crap games, so does every system. I like how he is anonymous as well. At least Jeff Minter had the balls to actually use his name.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Damn. Developer fanboys. Who would have guessed.

Both suck, both rock. End of story.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Damn. Developer fanboys. Who would have guessed.

Both suck, both rock. End of story.

-Rob
    took the words right outta my mouth!
    -DJ

My EPIC "For Sale" Thread: CLICKY