Thread: Point Blank 1,2,3 on Wii?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Point Blank 1,2,3 on Wii?

Sorry to disappoint fellow Point Blank fans ... this isn't a report that they've been announced, or are going to be in a collection ...

... it was just a matter of "minor epiphany" while chatting with Raj at the DP store yesterday afternoon.

With all the light-gun game ports (and originals) being released onto the Wii lately ... why NOT bring what is CERTAINLY one of the best MINI-GAME/PARTY-GAME-CENTRIC light gun series to the system?

Yeah yeah, the Wiimote is not a hyper-accurate GunCon2 ... but, HOTD 2&3 can get pretty fast and crazy ... and I'm sure people will learn to adjust to the difference between using a Guncon and a Wiimote in terms of accuracy. It might not be exactly the same, but it'll work.

Seriously - no other light gun game would be a more perfect fit for THAT SYSTEM with THAT kind of built in consumer-base.

Thoughts?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think some of the games, especially the one-bullet-one-shot stages, don't translate well at all. I bought the DS version a while back and was pretty disappointed for the same reason. A stylus/crosshair just destroys much of the challenge of the original.

Not that a new game with some different choices wouldn't work - I think the two-player shooting game on Wii Play is a blast - but a port wouldn't do so hot, and they'd need to put a lot more thought into it than they did into PB-DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well, they could certainly have a no-crosshairs/hidden crosshairs mode.

I would assume that would be the standard gameplay mode if they ever did this collection, since the game is all about speed and accuracy, and I agree seeing a crosshair would completely kill it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i think its a great idea.

however, i havent played my wii since wiiplay, so, someone enlighten me, how well do gun games translate to the wiimote? is HotD not good or something?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:10 PM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A Point Blank collection could work on Wii i'd say. I also talked with some friends yesterday about a Time Crisis collection for the Wii I think atleast Time Crisis 1-3 in this collection would work, maybe TC4 too, but thats already on PS3 so i dont think it would be included, atleast not if a such collection should get released "soon". Maybe if it was to be released in a few years or so.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

*cockpunches Frankie for getting hopes up with thread title*

Anyway, Link's Crossbow Training reminds me a lot of Point Blank as it is.

But here's why this won't happen: Guncon 3. If Namco is going to reissue any of their gun games on a current gen console, it's going to be on the PS3 as they're going to want people to plunk down for thr GC3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well ... I can't argue with the appeal of the Guncon 3 as a platform for re-issues by Namco ... however, I can't say that Time Crisis 4 OR that bit of hardware has met much critical praise, especially in comparison to the Wii which currently seems to be a happy home for light-gun-simulating via the Wiimote.

I think (and/or hope) that if TC4 continues to under-perform at retail, that we may see Namco get generous with a few of their franchises.

As I said, I just think that series is a good "fit" for the Wii ... it's almost a no-brainer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

It better damn well happen. So many opportunities to put the Wii's hardware to its fullest advantage aren't coming true, and I fear the system might plop before we get our precious Virtua Cop Trilogy (which is also a hypothetical idea, but one that I want to see happen because I WANT TO PLAY VIRTUA COP 3, DAMMIT). I'm probably being overly paranoid, as the Wii most likely still has several years left in it before it becomes obsolete... crap, I don't even have any idea what's going to make it obsolete, if anything! I... better calm down. *breathes heavily into paper sack*
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I can't argue with the appeal of the Guncon 3 as a platform for re-issues by Namco ... however, I can't say that Time Crisis 4 OR that bit of hardware has met much critical praise, especially in comparison to the Wii which currently seems to be a happy home for light-gun-simulating via the Wiimote.

I think (and/or hope) that if TC4 continues to under-perform at retail, that we may see Namco get generous with a few of their franchises.

As I said, I just think that series is a good "fit" for the Wii ... it's almost a no-brainer.
    The more good Wii "light gun" games, the better. The Wii Zapper has only been out for four months and already the selection of games is great!

I saw Time Crisis 4 running on an HDTV at Best Buy a few months ago and wasn't impressed. The graphics seemed like something the Wii could easily handle. Maybe I was watching someone play a bland level?

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I'm still waiting to see that nyko pistol grip in a store. I want a one-handed lightgun solution for the wii, dmanit, that Zapper has too much excess crap on it for handgun style games, i think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The DS version was alright, but some of the minigames really didn't work for the small screen.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd buy it. The more light gun games for Wii the better. Plus, I never picked this up for ps1, and I always wanted to try it.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Well ... I can't argue with the appeal of the Guncon 3 as a platform for re-issues by Namco ... however, I can't say that Time Crisis 4 OR that bit of hardware has met much critical praise, especially in comparison to the Wii which currently seems to be a happy home for light-gun-simulating via the Wiimote.

Oh, I agree, it's a good fit. I'm just saying, it's isn't going to happen regardless of what critics think of the Guncon 3. Namco is invested in that, they want people to buy it and they will must likely be sticking with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, they could certainly have a no-crosshairs/hidden crosshairs mode.

I would assume that would be the standard gameplay mode if they ever did this collection, since the game is all about speed and accuracy, and I agree seeing a crosshair would completely kill it.
    There's no other way to do it on the Wii except have a on screen crosshair so you know where your aiming, the Wii isn't a lightgun. It doesn't know what it's looking at, just how it's being moved in 3d space relative to the Wii's sensor bar IR lights.

I'd rather see Sega do a Virtua Cop collection.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-22-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    There's no other way to do it on the Wii except have a on screen crosshair so you know where your aiming, the Wii isn't a lightgun. It doesn't know what it's looking at, just how it's being moved in 3d space relative to the Wii's sensor bar IR lights.

I'd rather see Sega do a Virtua Cop collection.
    Sorry. You're just plain wrong, and I don't mean that in a "nyah-nyah" stick my tongue out kind of way, I'm actually hoping that you're pleasantly pleased to find that it CAN be done!

I picked up House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return today, and not only have I found that developers can have the Wii emulate light-gun games with wicked speed and accuracy, but they can fully function with NO crosshairs on screen. (Yes, HOTD 2 & 3 allows the user to completely turn off the crosshairs for both players.)

I'll share my thoughts on that game in the thread already started about it, but I'll say this ... people who don't believe that the Wii / Wiimote isn't a "light gun" need to play HOTD 2 & 3 Return.

YES. I know that TECHNICALLY speaking it's NOT the same technology, but it is the same means to the same end: point a device at the screen and pull a trigger repeatedly in rapid succession, shoot offscreen to re-load, rinse, and repeat.

It works. Big time. And after a night of enjoying it on a 42 inch widescreen (with NO SCREEN FLASHING NO LESS!), I'd call it no less fast and/or accurate than a Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, or XBOX light gun setup.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-22-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Point Blank in the wii, hmmm...

Great idea considering that wii is made for those games.

Maybe Namco will make not a collection, but a brand new game! (Well...we can dream, no?)

Indenpendently that Namco will make a collection or a new game, i easily think that...

- Namco will make a guncon style cabinet for the wii remote, if not, we play with the wii zapper
    - Will make an "Easy Mode", with the crosshair activated

I love point blank and i have the versions 1 and 3 for PSX and i never had a guncon, so, the "Point Blank Wii" have to be released, why Point Blank DS isn't THAT good, so he will venge (i think that this is the correct word) him, and will bring fun to point blank fans!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always wanted a Point Blank port on the Wii. However, after owning both Ghost Squad and House of the Dead Overkill, I can say that the Wii remote definitely does not function like a light gun at all. I've even got one of those gun shells. I would not want to play with the crosshairs off. It just isn't a point where they are. And yes, I've done lots of calibrating.

I'm hoping for more light gun games on the Wii though - there's been dissapointingly few. Does anyone have a full list? Here's what I can name from the top of my head:

Ghost Squad
    The House Of The Dead 2 & 3 Return
    The House Of The Dead Overkill
    Link's Crossbow Training
    Shooting gallery in Wii Play
    shooting gallery in WarioWare: Smooth Moves
    Target Terror (but this is US only)

I think there are a couple of WiiWare games too?