Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield: Bad Company Official Thread...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default Battlefield: Bad Company Official Thread...

It may seem like we already have tons of excellent modern FPS's out there right now, but the potential FPS game of the year is coming soon...

Beta info:
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/859/859204p1.html

In short: You must be an IGN Insider member and have an XBL Gold membership to receive a beta key. The beta starts March 25th and is for Xbox 360 only.

EDIT: You can also get the beta key with a preorder at Gamestop...

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/swoffers/default.asp
    Last edited by heybtbm; 06-23-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: updated title
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah I ended up pre-ordering, even though I was going to rent the game, but the beta is too sweet to pass up, hopefully I get in... oh well!
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anyone try the gamestop way, and get a key? Just curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

What frickin' requirements are they looking for the IGN beta test? I've filled it out honestly and I got dissed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    What frickin' requirements are they looking for the IGN beta test? I've filled it out honestly and I got dissed.
    From what I've read on various message boards today, IGN is looking for people with online FPS experience and that have played in previous beta tests. It's all pretty silly if you think about it since people can fill out anything on the sign-up form.

You can actually download the demo right now, but the servers aren't online until the 25th. All you can access at this point are the in-game menus and check on the "awards" for future online play. This game really looks promising. I can't wait for the 25th.

Insert Coin (Level 0) consolecrusader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    consolecrusader
    PSN
    consolecrusader

I got my email from IGN today, I got my KEY ready to go for March 25th!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    From what I've read on various message boards today, IGN is looking for people with online FPS experience and that have played in previous beta tests. It's all pretty silly if you think about it since people can fill out anything on the sign-up form.

You can actually download the demo right now, but the servers aren't online until the 25th. All you can access at this point are the in-game menus and check on the "awards" for future online play. This game really looks promising. I can't wait for the 25th.
    My problem was my cache still had the "Beta Denied" page, even after I totally fibbed. Opened up another browser, white lied a bit with the Battlefield series experience (I never *owned* the games but I played the Battlefield 2 demo to death on Xbox and I read about Battlefield 1942 and the future one ) and I was able to get in. I did do beta tests before but not on FPS games (Diablo II, The Realm and Asheron's Call).

So we'll see how this rolls on the 25th.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

EA has clarified the "pay for play" weapons. Link:http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/861/861449p1.html

In short it appears that half of the weapons are going to be used as pre-order promotional incentives and will be available to everyone else for free after the game launches. The other weapons will be included in the "Gold Edition" (i.e. the $69.99 version). People buying the regular edition will have to pay extra if they want those weapons.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I hope they separate the regular and gold editions online otherwise this is going to suck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The beta is incredible. After reading about the difficulty that people had trying to get into a game, I was worried. Fortunately for me, the process only took 3-5 minutes and I was in a game.

The multiplayer component is solid, Battlefield-style goodness. I've played the 360 version of Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for 400+ hours and the PS2 version for 30+ hours. Upon starting the game, I felt immediately at home with the gameplay and controls. You can tell from the improvements how much of an influence Call of Duty 4 has had on the online FPS genre. R6:Vegas 2, Frontlines and now Battlefield have sprint buttons. I honestly don't know if I could play an online FPS anymore without it.

The beta runs smooth and lag free with a 12 vs. 12 matchup system. The weapon kits are balanced and similar to the standard "Battlefield Five"...Assault, Spec Ops, Sniper, Engineer, and Support. Overall it's a great first impression. I'm really looking forward to its release this June.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I gave it a run for about an hour last night. It took me a bit to rewire my brain as I'm so used to COD4 but after a while I was doing ok. I'm so not used to large open maps anymore. I do miss using the D-Pad ala COD to select my equipment.

The game itself plays pretty well. Yeah there's some graphical glitches (weird swirling particles, some nasty draw in, etc) but it's a beta. Vehicles handle pretty well but didn't BF-2, at least in the Xbox version, have acceleration mapped differently? I never played the 360 version so I can't comment. To accelerate with the left trigger and then stop/back up with the left bumper somehow feels weird. I haven't had the pleasure of flying yet.

So far I only have two things I see off the bat that need work. First is fall distance. I'm climbing down a ladder and when I touch down I take damage. I thought I climbed all the way down but I guess I fell off but the distance was only like 2 feet. Unless mercs have calcium deficiency this should be fixed. Also the indicator detecting where you're getting shot doesn't seem to register hits properly. I've been shot in the side while driving a tank so I stopped to look and no one was there but they were behind me and no it wasn't them shooting and moving. I'm wondering if it's a physics thing where a bullet shot from behind grazes the side and it shows up as a side hit. Who knows.

Off topic a bit, does anyone know if BF2 is still played on the 360?

Insert Coin (Level 0) consolecrusader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    consolecrusader
    PSN
    consolecrusader

Hmmm I dunno right now for me if any game beats out COD4....I am just so use to it. As long as the COD4 community stays strong I won't switch to another FPS. I do have a beta key for this but I sold it on eBay before they could take the listing down. I guess I check it out rental wise once the game comes out.

Can you create your own class like in COD4?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by consolecrusader View Post
    Can you create your own class like in COD4?
    Thus far, no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to say I agree with the positive feedack here, the game is solid, and lag free thus far, and the destructable environments.... sweeeet!!! this game could use the option of going prone, of which right now you can only crouch, but I doubt they won't fix that in the final version. Other than that, the game is a good COD4/Frontlines mix. Is it better than COD4, probably not, but it is too early to tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

It's official, there will be no "pay for play" weapons in the final product. EA got cold feet after learning of the negative response.

In the regular edition, the weapons will be unlocked after completing certain "milestones". The $69.99 "Gold Edition" will come with these weapons unlocked from the start.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6189011.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The new single player/multiplayer demo is up for everyone to download on XBL. Apparently the PSN version was up for a short while yesterday and later taken down.

I played the multiplayer last night for two hours and had an unbelievable amount of fun. Let's be honest...COD4 is the king of online FPS's, but Battlefield BC will definitely hold its own. I've always preferred the "conquest" style game modes with online FPS's. Huge maps with vehicles/multiple weapons hold my interest much longer than the Halo-esque, "turn a corner, bump into your enemy" style of FPS.

I've been yearning for a new take on this kind of FPS experience for a long time (sorry Frontlines: FOW). COD4's version of Battlefield's gameplay, "Domination" is fun, but nowhere near as refined as this game's "gold rush" and BF standby "conquest" modes.

In a cool addition, playing the demo and ranking up to level 4 actually rewards you with something in the real version of BF:BC. It's one of the previous "pay for play" weapons (an UZI) that are now all free. It's going to be the only way to get the weapon for the time being, so all interested parties should download the demo and get playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

heybtbm: Can't see a word of that when you specify white color in the SubSilver profile.

Anyhow, I suppose I could play the 360 version, but I'd probably rather go with the next PC version of the game (aside from Heroes which I'll also be checking out).

I need to track down Modern Combat and try that out sometime as well, if only in single player.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    heybtbm: Can't see a word of that when you specify white color in the SubSilver profile.

Anyhow, I suppose I could play the 360 version, but I'd probably rather go with the next PC version of the game (aside from Heroes which I'll also be checking out).

I need to track down Modern Combat and try that out sometime as well, if only in single player.
    No, you don't want to play MC on the 360 if you come from playing the PC versions. Trust me, I know first hand. This new BF game on the 360 is much more like the PC version of BF2 than anything. Plays much much much better than MC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Sorry about that. I thought it was set on the "default" font color.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    No, you don't want to play MC on the 360 if you come from playing the PC versions. Trust me, I know first hand. This new BF game on the 360 is much more like the PC version of BF2 than anything. Plays much much much better than MC.
    I like variety in gaming. I played BF2, Special Forces, and 2142 to death on PC (and did decently), and I've always wanted to fool around with the soldier-switching feature for a change.

Modern Combat's gotten cheap enough that I won't feel particularly ripped off even if the single-player is as shallow as the PC games' (and that I know it isn't).