Thread: The Legend of Zelda vs. Final Fantasy

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I vote for Berserker's post being way more entertaining than either Zelda or FF.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are they apples and oranges? Yes.

Am I capable of deciding whether I like apples or oranges better? Yes (apples).

I'm going to pick FF. Zelda is, admittedly, more steadfast in its quality, but FF has had the higher peaks. FF also wasn't virtually ruined (at first) by the switch to 3D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

Pantechnicon really summarized it up good. I'm playing Phantom Hourglass too, and it's much more fun that the constant leveling up that I'm doing in FF8. I also feel the FF series has lost it's touch after the 9th installment (which is my favourite, garnetxzidane is too cute not to like). Twilight princess wasn't the best game in the Zelda series, but it was still an excellent one. Besides Phantom Hourglass more than makes up for that <3.

Also since I'm a sucker for love ZeldaxLink takes it all the way home for me. Link feels much more fleshed out than many of the FF charactes, even if he is a tabula rasa of sorts. You can still see his personality. Also the Zelda mangas are funny as hell. Still both series are excellent.
    Last edited by HYB; 04-09-2008 at 08:58 AM.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I think Aliens are the best, and here's why.

- Exoskeletons. Their skeletons are on the outside of their bodies. Pretty rad.

- Acid for blood.

- Versatile biology. The Alien is imbued with unique characteristics of its host organism.

- Versatile on Stage & Screen. Have just one Alien and it's a horror movie. Throw in a bunch more and it's an action movie. Throw in Paul W.S. Anderson and it's a pro-wrestling movie (bodyslam!).

- Did I mention the motherfucking acid?? They bleed it.

- Led by women. These are equal-opportunity xenomorphs we're talking about here.

- They were rocking the metal grills before it was hot.

- Finally, they're not afraid to take one for the team. Like in Alien Resurrection when the two Aliens decide to kill the one, so that its acid blood (!!) would melt through their space-cage and open the way towards freedom and revenge against Brad Dourif.

So hopefully my point is proven and the matter is now settled. Alienz4evar.

i vote for this as well. vastly more entertaining and funny than both games/genres/this thread

score so far?

Zelda - 52 million
    FF - 40 million
    Berserker - 3

the real winners? us. thanks to berserker's thread-saving post.

ps: those numbers are worldwide selling figures for each series.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you've pretty much settled the argument. Aliens are the clear winner here.

And to wander a little off-topic... I prefer game play to cut scenes- which is why I've never been a big fan of the FF series. And I 2nd (or 3rd) Pan's post.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 04-09-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    And to wander a little off-topic... I prefer game play to cut scenes- which is why I've never been a big fan of the FF series. And I 2nd (or 3rd) Pan's post.
    I even get ever so slightly annoyed by the "cut-scenes" in some of the Zelda Games. Well...not really annoyed, I just want to get back to playing the game and my guy won't respond to my button pushing. Like in Links Awakening. It's a great game but if that stupid owl won't shut up and get outa my way... I've got to save the day and your just slowing me down!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    I picked Zelda because I prefer playing a game to watching hours of anime cut scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrakAttack View Post
    Zelda because FF has turned into bad anime with moments of actual game play sprinkled throughout
    We have Final Fantasy VII to thank for that...and all of the people who bought it, which encouraged Square to continue the trend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been getting the Dark Horse Omnibus GNs of Aliens, Predator and AvP. Never had a chance to read them all fully first time round. Very good read.

On topic, I vote Zelda as they're the games I've played the most of.

Ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I choose Final Fantasy. I'm an RPG gamer before anything else, and although I do enjoy some Zelda games, I can't stand the gimmicky new ones. Likewise, I also can't stand the paper-thin, RPG-machine new FF games either. So, I have to rely on the older games for my choice. That said, the Final Fantasy series has always had the advantage for me. Now I sit and wait for a proper remake of FF7, not all of these cheesy spinoffs using the same characters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Though I'm a big RPG fan, I'm not a huge fan of Final Fantasy (only one I've beaten is VI, though, I'm near the last dungeon in XII, but unlikely to finish it; just started IV and VIII). That said, I'm even less of a fan of Zelda. In fact, I'm not a fan at all. In many ways, I detest the series, because it feels extremely stale to me (and yes, I own almost all of the games, save Wind Waker, a couple of the GBA games, and PH). There's almost no character development, and you can pretty much go into a dungeon and know right away what you're supposed to do.

I've only liked two Zelda games well enough to complete (which is admittedly more than FF, now that I think of it), and that's Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess. Ocarina of Time was fun until it was drawn out too long (actually, the Zelda games being too long is one of my biggest complaint). IMO, they're just extremely formulaic. And yet I keep buying them when I can find them used for cheap

Zelda is one of the most overrated series, IMO, but only slightly moreso than Final Fantasy.

So, after writing that, I've decided Aliens win.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh bushwah.

We all know Predators could beat aliens, and Jedi could beat both.

Then Astro Boy could beat the Jedi, because Japanese things are always better.

In all seriousness, I really can't choose. My initial response was to choose FF over Zelda, but then I realized my reason for doing so didn't necessarily make sense. In real life, I have no problem popping in a pre-32bit game from either series and enjoying it (though the forced-to-watch cutscenes DO get annoying)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    We have Final Fantasy VII to thank for that...and all of the people who bought it, which encouraged Square to continue the trend.
    oh jeez they decided to add fmvs and suddenly its crap? there only about 15 to 20 fmvs( not counting the crappy half fmvs ) in the entire 40 hour plus game! why is it that people like a series alot then it goes 3d and they think it sucks? i love 2d games but that dont mean i gotta hate 3d ones. though i do agree that FF games are just starting to suck more and more. FFX-2 and up sucks horse cockles!!
    Last edited by Nero 99; 04-10-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legend of Zelda by far, I just think the masterfully crafted puzzles outweigh any battles or presentation FF has. Love both though.

We must keep in mind that they're two very different types of games. No matter what anyone tells yuh, LoZ is not an RPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stupid poll, comparing games of completely different genres.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

- Did I mention the motherfucking acid?? They bleed it.

So hopefully my point is proven and the matter is now settled. Alienz4evar.
    This post is full of win and that shit above made me legit bust out laughing at work. Thank you.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 108Stars View Post
    Stupid poll, comparing games of completely different genres.
    Not so much because they're different genres as his 12-year-old reasoning for why they should be in a poll. A good poll would ask if players prefer JRPG's to real-time adventure games, or vice-versa, and why. Not "which do u liek bettewr cuz they both make you do stuff and both got blondes in 'em sometimes".

Off-topic, if the xenomorphs are as much like ants as they appear to be, they're all female. So scratch "equal opportunity" off yer list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pong.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    apples and oranges (both fruit, but so vastly different)

/thread.
    Are you saying that you couldn't tell me which fruit, apples or oranges, you prefer? Just because they are different doesn't mean you can't like one more. Everyone could rate everything in their life in order of importance if they had too. What would you give up before the rest? It doesn't mean you don't love any given thing, it just means you like somethings better than others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In chosing anything, it comes down to personal preference. Just because one likes/dislikes something, does not make it good or bad. And that that goes for basically everything in the world, vehicles, movies, broads (haha), music, video games.. etc. Cut scenes have always bothered me, as it takes away from gameplay. I have always been a fan of LOZ. Not too thrilled with most of the newer ones except for TP and Minish cap. My favorite of the series is LOZ: Link to the Past.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

Quote Originally Posted by 5thman View Post
    Not so much because they're different genres as his 12-year-old reasoning for why they should be in a poll. A good poll would ask if players prefer JRPG's to real-time adventure games, or vice-versa, and why. Not "which do u liek bettewr cuz they both make you do stuff and both got blondes in 'em sometimes".

Off-topic, if the xenomorphs are as much like ants as they appear to be, they're all female. So scratch "equal opportunity" off yer list.
    two things Ass wipe: one I'm not 12 I'm 18 and two , I made this this poll too prove to my freind that zelda is more popular(not better more popular)than Final fantasy. And if you dont like the topic of the thread then you shouldnt bother posting in it if your just gonna be a dick.
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7