Thread: The Legend of Zelda vs. Final Fantasy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

Quote Originally Posted by Jackattack View Post
    Are you saying that you couldn't tell me which fruit, apples or oranges, you prefer? Just because they are different doesn't mean you can't like one more. Everyone could rate everything in their life in order of importance if they had too. What would you give up before the rest? It doesn't mean you don't love any given thing, it just means you like somethings better than others.
    thank you for being one of the few people who didnt get all pissy and say apples to oranges.sayin apples to oranges is just an excuse not to think.
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 99 View Post

two things Ass wipe: one I'm not 12 I'm 18 and two , I made this this poll too prove to my freind that zelda is more popular(not better more popular)than Final fantasy.
    Here at DP, we can prove everything by means of a poll!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

The point of the "apples and oranges" argument isn't that they aren't comparable, it's that such a comparison is meaningless. You can prefer one over the other, but that doesn't mean you can present worthwhile reasoning beyond personal preference.

I could list the reasons for why I prefer Lunar over Final Fantasy, and people would be able to judge whether they're reasonable points. On the other hand, I can't provide a meaningful set of reasons for liking shooters over beat-em-ups. I could list them, but the two genres are so different that it all comes down to opinion; no objectivity is involved.

Similarly, I can say that I enjoy the tanginess of oranges, and find amusement in the fact that they come self-segmented, but it still just boils down to objective opinions. Who am I to say that the more solid consistency of apples isn't the way to go?

Hence people complaining about this topic. Zelda is too far removed from Final Fantasy, and vice versa, for any quality discussion to emerge.
    Last edited by Cinder6; 04-15-2008 at 01:04 AM.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post
    The point of the "apples and oranges" argument isn't that they aren't comparable, it's that such a comparison is meaningless. ..... Zelda is too far removed from Final Fantasy, and vice versa, for any quality discussion to emerge.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 99 View Post

two things Ass wipe: one I'm not 12 I'm 18 and two , I made this this poll too prove to my freind that zelda is more popular(not better more popular)than Final fantasy. And if you dont like the topic of the thread then you shouldnt bother posting in it if your just gonna be a dick.
    Are you sure you're not 12? You're spelling, grammar, and ability to conduct both, a coherent conversion AND poll point otherwise. I'm certain we all made similar threads (if the internet were to exist) and arguments when we were in middle school. Also, this is a relatively public forum... everyone can post and comment on everything, that is why its so much fun -- you get more than one side to every argument. You tell us to choose between apples and oranges, we say beefsteak.

but anyway, you already got your answer, and you didn't need to make this thread for it. a 2 minute google search yielded what you tried "too" prove to your friend:

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    **blah blah**

Zelda - 52 million
    FF - 40 million

**blah blah**

ps: those numbers are worldwide selling figures for each series.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Chalk me up in the apples & oranges category.

In before lock!
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I like Zelda more. Link's Awakening rocks.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think it's more like apples and pears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    Thank you.

Are you sure you're not 12? You're spelling, grammar, and ability to conduct both, a coherent conversion AND poll point otherwise. I'm certain we all made similar threads (if the internet were to exist) and arguments when we were in middle school. Also, this is a relatively public forum... everyone can post and comment on everything, that is why its so much fun -- you get more than one side to every argument. You tell us to choose between apples and oranges, we say beefsteak.

but anyway, you already got your answer, and you didn't need to make this thread for it. a 2 minute google search yielded what you tried "too" prove to your friend:
    Oh excuse my bad grammar i mean if I suck at typing fast and cut some corners too type faster Then I must be 12, only 12 year olds suck at typing .your reasoning is so "good" you should be the president of the planet!!! ( I am being sarcastic in case your under developed brain didn't catch it ,)
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Ah, ad hominem attacks. The mainstay of Internet debate.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The point of the "apples and oranges" argument isn't that they aren't comparable, it's that such a comparison is meaningless. You can prefer one over the other, but that doesn't mean you can present worthwhile reasoning beyond personal preference.

I could list the reasons for why I prefer Lunar over Final Fantasy, and people would be able to judge whether they're reasonable points. On the other hand, I can't provide a meaningful set of reasons for liking shooters over beat-em-ups. I could list them, but the two genres are so different that it all comes down to opinion; no objectivity is involved.

Similarly, I can say that I enjoy the tanginess of oranges, and find amusement in the fact that they come self-segmented, but it still just boils down to objective opinions. Who am I to say that the more solid consistency of apples isn't the way to go?

Hence people complaining about this topic. Zelda is too far removed from Final Fantasy, and vice versa, for any quality discussion to emerge.
    But why are you assuming that you can't have a valid discussion about people's SUBJECTIVE reasons for prefering one thing over another? I find that discussion interesting, so long as its not being populated by people being dicks just for the sake of being dicks to each other.

Frankly, I think people's subjective reasons for liking things are more interesting than their objective reasons. You're going to get a larger variety of reasons under the subjective idea.
    Last edited by FantasiaWHT; 04-15-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me get this straight:

According to you, I can't make a valid argument whether I like The Legend of Zelda more than Final Fantasy because it's based on personal preference. However, I can make a valid argument whether I like Lunar more than Final Fantasy. But wait, isn't that based on personal preference, too?

Both arguments, not just one, are based on personal preference. "Apples and oranges" is a cliche and a cop-out.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-15-2008 at 02:28 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Let me get this straight:

According to you, I can't make a valid argument whether I like The Legend of Zelda more than Final Fantasy because it's based on personal preference. However, I can make a valid argument whether I like Lunar more than Final Fantasy. But wait, isn't that based on personal preference, too?

Both arguments, not just one, are based on personal preference. "Apples and oranges" is a cliche and a cop-out.
    You're putting the cart before the horse. Before personal preference comes into play, there must be some sort of shared commonality; a basis for comparison that allows us to prefer one over another.

Examples:

Final Fantasy and Lunar are both RPGs. Which RPG do you prefer?
    Granny Smith and Golden Delicious are both apples. Which apple do you prefer?

Final Fantasy and Zelda are both video games. Which video game do you prefer?
    Apples and Oranges are both fruit. Which fruit do you prefer?

So the argument isn't whether or not a comparison can be made, as clearly it easily can, but rather whether or not such a comparison is too base to be worthwhile.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i also have to remind, that this discussion isnt on which you prefer, its a completely retarded question of "which is better?" read the poll!

and i still prefer beefsteak.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, most folks don't really see FF and Zelda as being totally different genres because most folks see a couple of games with heroic characters swinging swords and using magic to kill a thousand little monsters in order to reach bigger monsters and then kill them complete a mystical quest and think themselves, "I think I like that game better than the other."

Of course, most folks don't hang out in video game forums and nitpick each other to pieces over minutia.
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    You're putting the cart before the horse. Before personal preference comes into play, there must be some sort of shared commonality; a basis for comparison that allows us to prefer one over another.
    Such as, for example, that they're both video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James8BitStar View Post
    And we have a winner! I'm surprised nobody has tried to say "You're comparing apples to video games!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    And we have a winner! I'm surprised nobody has tried to say "You're comparing apples to video games!"
    That's simply because it wouldn't work. However, oranges and video games....

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James8BitStar View Post
    Wow man... *facepalms*

Read the whole post next time.