Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: It begins.... Video game grading

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First they started slabbing comics. Then people started collecting sealed video games. I knew slabbed/graded video games was the next step. Stupid as hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

two words: epic fail
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this is an example of what im talking about. this guy has more items, just like it
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...id=p2761.l1259

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by super nes View Post
    Well most people buy it for that reason but that doesnt mean there looking to resell it. I just bought a copy of Dracula X and i plan on keeping it even though i dont own a pc engine or a turbo duo.
    If you're posting on Digit Press, you're at least a dabbling collector, and if you were formerly an overpaying moron, you're probably well on your way to fixing that. Also, I was talking years down the line with the nostalgia purchases. If you find your copy of Dracula X somewhere ten years from now, you're either still a collector of some kind, or might seriously think about selling it off.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    Grading on the other hand, that is purely subjective as has been proven time and time again in comics and coins. Catch a grader on a bad day and your 90 grade becomes a 70 and you'll never know why.
    It's because the grader accidentally damages the item while evaluating it.

I don't feel there's anything wrong with collecting sealed games, it's paying extreme amounts for them that I find unbelievable.

To me, a sealed NES game should be worth about $30-$50 unless it's an actual rarity(then obviously more expensive). I've come across some sealed games over the years but I've never paid all that much for them. They're cool to have in a collection because they're something different that most other people wouldn't have(at least in that condition). It's kind of the same reason why people like to have rare games in their collection or want a complete collection, I don't get why people collect games that aren't good(if it's rare and good then it's cool to have).

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dcx516 View Post
    this is an example of what im talking about. this guy has more items, just like it
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...id=p2761.l1259
    And I'm convinced that many of these are shill auctions. They put up a graded game for an absurd price and a shill buys it. Then that shill flips it on Ebay and another shill buys that. This in turn convinces at least a few people that buying graded games is a lucrative endeavor and so at least a handful of people take the bait. The shills die down as more and more people with too much money on their hands get fooled into thinking this is worth it. Then the sad reality sets in: If enough people eventually start to believe it is worth it then it does become worth it. And that's how the grading organization makes its money because all of a sudden you have a large pool of potential buyers who are now unwilling to pay top dollar for anything not graded and so people who have copies they want to sell have no choice but to pay the fee and get the grade. It's a hell of a scheme they got going and it's worked before with countless other commodities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    It's a hell of a scheme they got going and it's worked before with countless other commodities.
    Case and Point

At least with comic collecting CGC serves the invaluable service of doing a restoration check, especially on pricey comics. A lot of people buy slabbed comics just for that reason and then remove them for the grading slab.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gum_drops View Post
    Case and Point

At least with comic collecting CGC serves the invaluable service of doing a restoration check, especially on pricey comics. A lot of people buy slabbed comics just for that reason and then remove them for the grading slab.
    The worst part of that is "I have worked at CGC as their PRIMARY GRADER."

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

My mom does ebay for an antique store. They have decided to no longer put comic books up for auction since they apparently can't accurately describe them. They listed a few and some people got upset because they had bent corners or what not and so weren't in "great" shape or whatever.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Strawberry (Level 2) murdoc rose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this has been going on in other hobbies for a bit longer and its something were going to sort of have to deal with. However unlike the other hobbies only sealed games are really good for grading. Its not like there will ever be a big wave to grade loose 2600 games. also because games are meant to be played and not locked in plastic there will be not be the movement we've seen in sports cards

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I've merged 'Grading games wtf?' with this thread. We've gone down this road before, so check back over the older pages to see what we thought about this 6 months ago.

This can also get ugly as seen on DP! so if you start to see diverging ideals and ground isn't being given, go take a walk to get some air cause I don't want that to happen again.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by murdoc rose View Post
    Its not like there will ever be a big wave to grade loose 2600 games. also because games are meant to be played and not locked in plastic there will be not be the movement we've seen in sports cards
    Why are people grading comic books then? I used to really be into comic books but I've always enjoyed reading them and seeing the artwork. I don't understand why people have them sealed away in plastic and never handle them(I know older comics are fragile but you can still enjoy them occasionally). It's like sealing away a painting and never looking at it because you're worried all light could damage it.

I get keeping sealed games sealed, that's how they can be a new copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK PEOPLE I HAD THE BALLS TO ACTUALLY WRITE THIS TO THE SO CALLED VGA I THINK I ASKED THE RIGHT QUESTIONS FOR US ALL... ILL POST THE RESPONCE WHEN I GET IT.

Hello,

I am the owner of d&d game world located in york, pa. i have a few questions as a collector, video game store owner. i would like to have a few things answered. we on a forum are wondering these things...

1. how many years experiance do you have a video games. how do you get your resources on the value of video games and how well do you know the value of video games?

2. where did you get the "autherity" to be a game grader and under what juradiction?

3. you claim your location of where the work is done. why hide? if someone is sending you a game that is worth 5 grand they are gonna wanna know where its gonna be sent.

4. why are your grading services so exspensive? i can do the exact same job for less.

i would personally like to know how u grade your work, what your methods are and how your an "expert" you offer no public knowledge on your services and how its rendered. i been a collectors for 25 years. a store owner of 3 stores for now 3 1/2 years and im still learning.

your shipping prices are rediculous as well as your forms.. YOUR suppose to be the grader why i asking us what we think its worth? i am looking forward to your answers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zeldas_nexus View Post
    OK PEOPLE I HAD THE BALLS TO ACTUALLY WRITE THIS TO THE SO CALLED VGA I THINK I ASKED THE RIGHT QUESTIONS FOR US ALL... ILL POST THE RESPONCE WHEN I GET IT.

Hello,

I am the owner of d&d game world located in york, pa. i have a few questions as a collector, video game store owner. i would like to have a few things answered. we on a forum are wondering these things...

1. how many years experiance do you have a video games. how do you get your resources on the value of video games and how well do you know the value of video games?

2. where did you get the "autherity" to be a game grader and under what juradiction?

3. you claim your location of where the work is done. why hide? if someone is sending you a game that is worth 5 grand they are gonna wanna know where its gonna be sent.

4. why are your grading services so exspensive? i can do the exact same job for less.

i would personally like to know how u grade your work, what your methods are and how your an "expert" you offer no public knowledge on your services and how its rendered. i been a collectors for 25 years. a store owner of 3 stores for now 3 1/2 years and im still learning.

your shipping prices are rediculous as well as your forms.. YOUR suppose to be the grader why i asking us what we think its worth? i am looking forward to your answers.
    Good questions, but I SINCERELY hope that you performed a spell check before sending these over....to convey professionalism you know

Insert Coin (Level 0) DiabolicalAdvocate's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chainclaw View Post
    The worst part of that is "I have worked at CGC as their PRIMARY GRADER."
    Before you mock someone or something, make sure you have all your facts straight.

That Ebay member is Steve Borock, and he REALLY WAS the former CEO of CGC. He's well known and well respected within the comic community, and his Ebay ID is no secret. He was a dealer for years before joining CGC, and he resigned several months ago because he missed dealing. As CEO, he was contractually obligated NOT to buy, sell or trade comics, not even for his own collection. I know him personally and he's as "stand-up" as they come.

Get your facts BEFORE you attempt to slander someone.
    Last edited by DiabolicalAdvocate; 12-10-2008 at 02:32 AM. Reason: grammatical error

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gum_drops View Post
    Case and Point

Why are you guys bringing CGC price disparities into this, when you obviously have NO CLUE about the hobby? If you don't like game grading, that's fine, keep this about games. You guys would get pretty ticked if someone on some other message board spouting off a bunch of horse crap about game collecting, so why are you doing that here with comics?
    Last edited by DiabolicalAdvocate; 12-10-2008 at 02:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Why are people grading comic books then? I used to really be into comic books but I've always enjoyed reading them and seeing the artwork. I don't understand why people have them sealed away in plastic and never handle them(I know older comics are fragile but you can still enjoy them occasionally). It's like sealing away a painting and never looking at it because you're worried all light could damage it.

I get keeping sealed games sealed, that's how they can be a new copy.
    There is a lot of money involved with vintage comics and a lot of criminals as a result. Undisclosed restoration is a huge issue, and thieves have been making countless thousands of dollars over the years manipulating books to get higher prices. CGC has created a much safer environment for those who collect high end comics, and books now trade in the 6 figures as a result.

Comics are a much more established hobby, especially on the high end of the spectrum, and shouldn't really be used as a comparison in the context of sealed games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got out of comics right around the time the CGC became a big presence. I have thousands of comics(my favorites are independents like Grendel, Shi, Faust but I have a fair share of Marvel and DC titles too) and even use to go to comic book conventions to find rare books. Although I've been out for a few years, I definitely miss it and plan to start colecting again one day. But when I do I'd definitely leave the graded stuff alone. It's a nice utility to have but their prices are way too high for me, even for their modern day(last 10 years) stuff.

Back on topic, much like I won't be purchasing graded comics, I definitely won't be purchasing any graded games either. However, I've always been curious to atleast have one of my games(or comics) get graded. As a collector I know condition well but I'm curious as to how another persons point of view would be.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Video games are NOT a good investment, and never have been. If you're worried about losing some imaginary money because of fluctuations in the market, then I suggest you find a better use for your money.

--Zero
    Not necessarily true. You can't label an item as a "good or bad investment"; what makes something a good investment is the price point at which it was purchased. Someone who bought brand new PS1 RPG's from clearance bins for $10 each made a good "investment", irrespective of the fact that games tend to depreciate.

That being said, I'm not advocating games as an investment vehicle, I'm merely stating that any commodity can be a good investment at the right price.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DiabolicalAdvocate View Post
    There is a lot of money involved with vintage comics and a lot of criminals as a result. Undisclosed restoration is a huge issue, and thieves have been making countless thousands of dollars over the years manipulating books to get higher prices. CGC has created a much safer environment for those who collect high end comics, and books now trade in the 6 figures as a result.
    Here's my question though. Why is it safer? Is it safer in fact or just safer in appearance?

There are people out there who reseal video games and yet most of the time people seem to spot them without the aid of a third party service. At the same time, should someone be capable enough to mimic a factory seal flawlessly (it's shrinkwrap, not brain surgery, after all) then that would fool amateurs and experts alike regardless of whether or not those experts are operating a grading service. All that would mean is now this fraudulent game gets certified as "A-ok." I already conceded that comics are different enough to the point where a grading service is less questionable but what ends up happening is that when a service totes itself as the absolute authority you can trust, should even one phony make it through and get certified then that calls into question the usefulness of the entire operation. If I can get scammed or do the scamming without you then why should I pay you the fee for a grade?

I don't know diddly about coins or baseball cards but people who do seem "in the know" have informed me that coin collectors like to buy low grade coins and then resubmit them for grading in hopes of scoring a higher number. That calls into question the numbering system itself and whether or not there's at least a little bit of arbitrary subjectivity involved. And, apparently, somebody tested the so-called experts by presenting them with a few baseball cards and it turns out the fraudulent ones got graded just the same as the real ones.

The take away from all of this (at least for me) is that people like the grading service because it gives them peace of mind regardless of whether or not there are any real benefits. Someone with an ungraded game/coin/comic/toy/card/etc. is worried that it might be a fake. Now if you slab it and give it a number then even if it is a fake in reality, in practice it isn't because everyone will accept it as legit. If everyone accepts it as legit then it may as well be legit because there won't be any real consequences as a result of the fraud.