Thread: WTB/ Be Educated about PC Engine Duo Systems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default WTB/ Be Educated about PC Engine Duo Systems

I would like to purchase a PC Engine Duo system that can play all regions. What is the best set up, and how much do you think this will cost me.

I have been sifting through the web and have found myself quite confused about what I should be purchasing. Or if the components will need repairs and what not.

I've searched the forums but I would like a more itemized response about what I may be spending.

I don't mind spending a few hundred dollars or so, but even within that range I would like to know the cheapest most reliable route.

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PC-Engine/Turbografx/Duo systems were region protected.

The PC-Engine and Turbografx used a card based system where the pins were rearranged. A Turbografx can play North Americanand Japanese card games (via the use of an adapter). The PC-Engine cannot play North American games without some hardware modification. (Something about pulling 1 +/- 5volt pin?)

The CDs for the PC-Engine and Turbografx add-on are not region protected and will play on either system.

The TurboDuo has the same capabilities as Turbografx and CD combined. The PC-Engine Duo has the same restriction.

Some CD games require the use of a Super CD or Arcade card. These cards (I think) have an updated operation system and more memory allowing for more advanced CD games.

Turbo and PC-Engine CDs are not copy protected. Be wary when buying cheap copies of in-demand games if that is important to you.

Controllers from any region will work on both regions machines. Controller plugs between the Turbografx/PC Engine and Turbo Duo/PCE Duo are not the same. (That is not a contradiction. The newer versions use different plugs). A Turbografx controller will not plug into a Turbo Duo, but will plug into a PC-Engine.

There are many variations of the PC-Engine. There is also a Supergrafx that plays PC-Engine card games plus 5 games that were made specifically for it.

The most versitile would be a Turbo Duo with a decent card adapter. With that, you should be able to play any game (except the Supergrafx)

Enjoy.

FRED

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MacNes View Post
    I would like to purchase a PC Engine Duo system that can play all regions. What is the best set up, and how much do you think this will cost me.
    Is it just me, or does someone ask a question like this at least once per month?

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114192

A region-modded Duo R is probably the best (and most economical) option.
    Last edited by PingvinBlueJeans; 04-10-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, I think I everything figured out. But the most important thing now is hunting one down. If anyone has a PC Engine Duo R I would be interested in purchasing it.

Thanks again for all the information and my apologies for being somewhat redundant in terms of my question.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fcw3 View Post
    Controllers from any region will work on both regions machines. Controller plugs between the Turbografx/PC Engine and Turbo Duo/PCE Duo are not the same. (That is not a contradiction. The newer versions use different plugs). A Turbografx controller will not plug into a Turbo Duo, but will plug into a PC-Engine.
    Just to avoid any confusion, this is a little mixed up. The PC Engine and Turbo Duo have the same controller connectors. The only one that has a different connector is the TG-16.

As far as where to find this stuff, keep an eye on the forums at PCEngineFX (http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php) as the sellers there generally cut pretty good deals.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    Is it just me, or does someone ask a question like this at least once per month?

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114192

A region-modded Duo R is probably the best (and most economical) option.
    more like once a week