Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rob Fulop's Actionauts is Ready!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Done.
    Joe already purchased one yesterday actually.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My problem with your restaurant analogy is that there is no "same thing" as Actionauts. The game represents an exploration of a new type of play pattern that a particular designer was fiddling with in 1984 ... at a time when the 2600 market was starting to decline. The game represents that place and time in the history of that particular designer, in that particular six month period of video game history. Along the way, the designer of this particular experimental play pattern realized that such had a lot better chance to find a market on the early 'toy computers' of the era, such as the Commodore 64. Thus this particular cartridge was abandoned.

I totally understand that the above may be of ZERO interest to you .. and my advice then is to not purchase it. I do understand that such an attitude here offends you .. as well as my expectation that I be compensated for both that time, and the effort to make the above available to this community. But what I don't get, is that such an attitude SO offends you ... that you are willing to be publicly rude, somewhat hostile, and abusive to the very designer who spent a large portion of his life creating things that gave you hours of entertainment over the years. Such is precisely the reason people myself, and those like me, former colleagues from the 'old school' who are watching this whole thing with both amusement, and astonishment, will not make the mistake I made of venturing onto forums such as this in the future, only to be abused and chased off by people like yourself. I really do have much better things to do than be publicly insulted by somebody like yourself .. who has not a clue about the actual nature of my work, or the path I've travelled over the course of 30 years of crafting interactive entertainment. Sure, you would like me to do stuff for this community pro-bono .. because Harry Homebrew does the same. I get it, I really do. Please forgive me if I decline, as well as not bother to waste my time in this forum any more. You've done your job well .. later.
    Last edited by Rob Fulop; 04-13-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fulop View Post
    Done.
    Joe already purchased one yesterday actually.
    Good deal. I was going to email and free up my reservation when I sat down at the computer today but finding that Joe may miss out prompted my posting here vice email. Thanks,
    Al

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Rob,

Did you ever consider keeping the price the same as the other recent homebrew efforts and simply keeping a copy for yourself to ebay at a later date to make up the difference?

Cherry (Level 1) DaBargainHunta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No disrespect intended to anyone, but I never understood the "collector" mentality. Why buy a game that will sit on a shelf and remain unplayed for the rest of your life? That's a real head-scratcher to me. Games are meant to be played! Yeah, I know that puts me against the grain of most of the people on this board.

As for the pricing structure of this particular game: Would I pay that much? Well, no. But at the same time, he has every right to charge that amount if the market will bear it, and it obviously will.

Plus, he is releasing the thing for free after. Hardly what I'd call greed.
    Formerly the poster known as Retro Pro

My review of Road Trip for PS2: http://digitpress.com/reviews/roadtrip.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
    No disrespect intended to anyone, but I never understood the "collector" mentality. Why buy a game that will sit on a shelf and remain unplayed for the rest of your life? That's a real head-scratcher to me. Games are meant to be played! Yeah, I know that puts me against the grain of most of the people on this board.
    What puts you against the grain of most of the people on this board is your assumption that you are the only one who thinks this way.

Cherry (Level 1) DaBargainHunta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    What puts you against the grain of most of the people on this board is your assumption that you are the only one who thinks this way.
    Then please do elaborate on your own thoughts, Mr. boatofcar.
    Formerly the poster known as Retro Pro

My review of Road Trip for PS2: http://digitpress.com/reviews/roadtrip.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fulop View Post
    Please forgive me if I decline, as well as not bother to waste my time in this forum any more. You've done your job well .. later.
    Wow, you're going to let an anonymous user with less than 500 posts run you off? You may have Atari programming down, but you might want to work on thickening your skin a bit ...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing everyone here is forgetting is that Rob didn't get into Atari programming as a hobby and doesn't necessarily share the same passion you or I do about all things Atari. He did it because it was his job and a way to make money and to live. And it's a job that he left behind, like, what?... 20+ years ago now? It's sort of absurd, really, to think that we're entitled to someone's leftover work project from a few decades ago. If someone asked me to dig up something from one of my old jobs, I'd probably just tell them to piss off...unless, of course, they were willing to offer me money.
    Last edited by Ben_Larson; 04-13-2008 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

My favorite part of all this is how he thinks by pissing him off we're somehow causing the whole homebrew scene to collapse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, I say this alot, but the 2600 sure generates alot of drama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, I've heard a bit about the drama stuff in IRC, but I wanted to look at it seriously:

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    So he seems to be making sure he gets his fair share of the pie this time. The hardcore Atari collectors at AA seem to be split down the middle between "Gouging profiteer" and "Legendary respected programmer." Thread got ugly.
    Not knowing the specifics of his break-even and profit points make this all wild guesses; 50 is certainly a rounded number, but could he make significantly more without putting himself in an awkward position? Producing 50 of anything is going to be costly; you can have orders for a thousand carts, but you have to budget to make them. How long would he be willing to wait for all the cartridges to sell? It's not likely he would end up with overstock, but the possibility is one that must weigh on his mind. Producing more would also reduce the attractiveness of a limited edition (perhaps).

This really reminds me (again) of the early/mid-90 limited sets for baseball cards (which I've mentioned here before a few times); it wasn't fun to pay to play anymore when you saw rarities being manufactured. Of course, rarities ARE manufactured; it's not wrong for Topps, Donruss, or Mr. Fulop to manufacture them, but likewise none of them should expect accolades for doing so.

In my view, he should look at expanding the sales because clearly there is a larger audience for these than expected.

Collectors should also second-guess that impulse to buy something with a "For the Atari 2600" to put on the mantelpiece.

EDIT: Collectors and gamers also could (I don't say "should" because lol I dunno) put themselves on the mailing list or send him an email if they didn't want to pay full price. If everybody who wants one of these puts in their offer, it would at least give him an idea what the true numbers of interest are.

Also, was the ROM released?
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 04-14-2008 at 12:38 AM.