Thread: First cab - will typical upright fit in Minivan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default First cab - will typical upright fit in Minivan?

I'm (hopefully) about to get my first arcade machine. At this point I have no pictures, and almost no information as to condition, but it's going to be free so I'm taking the plunge.

Will most uprights from the early days fit in the back of a minivan? Assuming so, is there any reason to avoid laying the cab on its back for a 20-minute drive?

Thanks, and I hope I have a whole bunch of repair-&r-restore related reasons to be back in this forum soon.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Should be fine on its back, but make sure there's nothing loose in the cabinet when you do so. I turned my old cabinet on the side, forgetting there was a loose metal "quarter-catching" tray in there. It smashed into the neck of the monitor, cracking it off and filling the cab with shattered glass.

Ugh.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitnintendogames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have transported many arcades in the back of my Tahoe, I would imagine it would fit in the back of a minivan if the seats are laid down. You might want to bring bungies just in case. The only arcade I had trouble fitting in my truck was Die Hard Arcade, but everything else I just laid on their side.
    Looking to complete my Dreamcast collection...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great, thanks for the tips.

Sniderman - I winced just reading that. Ow.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Follow-up. It's a go! I'm going to pick up the Frenzy! on Saturday. The lady giving it away said I'll need "2 Strong People" to pick it up, as it's heavy.

I don't suppose anybody in here is planning to go to NAVA, and wants to detour first to help me move the Frenzy?
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

If i could drive I would come help ya. I know moving cabs can be a bitch. I moved mine, on its back(was fine on a half hour trip in a Honda Pilot), and me and my father had to move it out of the car, into the garage and up the stairs into my room. If you have a hand truck handy, things will go a lot more swimmingly. It is very easy to move it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will have a handtruck available.

Is it realistic to think that I can move this thing solo (using a handtruck) into the back of my wife's minivan, and then out again into my garage? (Assuming no stairs.)
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It could be done, but I dont recommend it. Its much better just having 2 people, as it just takes one bump to send the cab flying, which =

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Not sure on the dimensions of your cab, but fair warning: I couldn't fit a Neo Geo MVS-2-25 into the back of a Honda Pilot. I had to get a trailer to do it, but it was fine laying on its back for an hour-long drive, then sitting in a parking lot for another hour like that
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is some info unfortunately no dimensions...

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7853
    ~TisLord~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I found dimensions for the game - 6'3" tall, 28" wide. I don't recall what page I found that, though.

Surprisingly to me, I couldn't find the interior dimensions fro the minivan! It's a 2002 MPV. I managed to find multiple webpages that listed the interior dimensions in terms of legroom/headroom for the various passengers, and total cubic volume for the cargo area, but nothing that indicated the length or width of the rear cargo area. Go figure.

If I remember, I'll just measure the van myself tonight. THEN, if I'm feeling real altruistic, I'll post the results online so future searchers can find the info.
    My Resume
    My Blog

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I fit a Neo Geo Big Red 2 slot in the back of my Dads PT Cruiser,..I put it in top first..It took two guys there to get it in the vehicle with a hand truck..but they had one of those good handtrucks that are used to move refrigerators(with strap)
    With the right handtruck you could move it yourself,but stairs I'd never do alone,(people were saying you'll never get that cab in that vehicle but I did.
    HARPER Appliance Hand Truck
    http://www.handtrucksrus.com/
    It's easier to move a cab on a handtruck if it's strapped to it..

I brought along a junky small handtruck(notice it in the picture)...the hardest thing was getting the handtruck into the vehicle with the cab after the cab was in the vehicle.
    The bottom stuck out the vehicle and we tied the hatch down with bungies(so glad I brought some)

When I paid for the machine at the Pinball Show I turned it off,pulled the cord and removed the carts/locked it up and took the keys....I checked to see if the board was loose or anything else like change in the bottom as this will be rolling all around when you lie it on it's back.
    We had to take some bumpy roads and highways back..

I actually moved it out of my dads vehicle pretty much by myself to put in his garage.,I just needed him to make sure I didn't smash the top once it got halfway out the back of the vehicle.We needed to rush back to the show to pick up two pinball machines(two more trips) before closing.
    It was fairly easy to move the cab by myself out of the garage to put it back in the vehicle later...I did need my dad to lift it in the back of the PT Cruiser...
    When I got it here,getting it up the stairs wasn't as easy as I thought..I have these lips on my back stairs that the wheels of the handcart have to come go over first,
    I'd never be able to do it alone unless I was some body builder big guy..

I searched for the thread and see that only two pictures are left up..

the old thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89053&highlight=pinball%2C+show

When I brought my 4 slot home up the front stairs,my uncle wasn't as strong as he used to be(brain tumer unknown at the time) I fell back on my ass when the handtruck snagged the lip on the stairs.the cab fell on me and I grabbed it preventing it from sliding down the stairs..it totally came off the handcart when he lifted it as it lifted off the snagged handtruck..
    this was utter hilarity and I would of been seriously stuck if I was alone.

Best off bring someone..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post
    Not sure on the dimensions of your cab, but fair warning: I couldn't fit a Neo Geo MVS-2-25 into the back of a Honda Pilot. I had to get a trailer to do it, but it was fine laying on its back for an hour-long drive, then sitting in a parking lot for another hour like that
    I take it that is a red cab and not the 2 slot "gold-cab" right? My gold cab had no problems fitting in the pilot. but I can see a red 2 slot not fitting.
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Quote Originally Posted by DKTheArcadeRat View Post
    I take it that is a red cab and not the 2 slot "gold-cab" right? My gold cab had no problems fitting in the pilot. but I can see a red 2 slot not fitting.
    Yeah, a "big red" (aka MVS-2-25).
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.