Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you regret selling/throwing away/giving away?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation What do you regret selling/throwing away/giving away?

In 1997 i had an Atari 2600 for 2 years with 50 games. Gave it away to a thrift store(they were selling the bundle for 40$). I regretted that a short while later. Threw away the Commodore 64SX(monitor was broken) AND gave away another Commodore 64(common model with the disk drive and bigass battery).

I shouldnt have agreed to throw away a lot of game boxes from SNES, NES, and Genesis, it was to save room. Thankfully i have my Chrono trigger box and some various game boxes left.

Ever done this too? (as well as on an even grander scale)?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sold all my NES games to buy some SNES games when I was a kid and had no money. Later on I sold my SNES, Genesis and Sega CD collection to buy an N64. I really regret doing all of that. Someday I'll rebuild the collection when I have more disposable income.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Never really did it much, thankfully. I knew even then that my old games were still fun and that trading them "up" for new stuff was a waste. Horray for my past self being smart about it. Now only if he would have taken better care of his NES boxes...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sort of offtopic, but I regret selling arcade game parts for cheap to people I thought needed them. Instead, they took them and resold them on eBay for much higher. Same for Mac parts.

NEVER again will I help someone out like that unless it's someone I've done business with before and I know they won't betray my trust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I let my sister use my snes for years and had mario rpg among other tough to find and easy to find valuable titles. When I got it back that and quite a few others were missing. The good side of the story though, my Starfox Super Weekend cart survived all this (this happened before I got back into gaming and knew how rare that game was).

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
    Sold all my NES games to buy some SNES games when I was a kid and had no money. Later on I sold my SNES, Genesis and Sega CD collection to buy an N64. I really regret doing all of that. Someday I'll rebuild the collection when I have more disposable income.
    No reason to regret any of that, you gotta do what you gotta do.

My older cousin was big into computers back in the early 80's, and gave me an Atari 400 and later 800 computer, several cartridges and many diskettes with copied games. I was too young to understand the thing and later we threw it out. I traded into Funcoland probably 1/3 of my NES games. I sold my Genesis in the mid 90's for spit and gave games to my cousin. Didn't regret any of that, but I wanted to brain him because he had a large amount of NES, Genesis, and N64 stuff I would have taken, but my aunt gave it to one of his younger cousins. Alright fine, it went to the little kids. But their mothers threw it all out, because they bought a Gamecube or whatever and that stuff was old.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

My Dreamcast. But I did get another one last year. However, I've still been unable to find a copy of Tokyo extreme Racer 2. got the first, need the second.

Anyone have one for sale??

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Didn't regret any of that, but I wanted to brain him because he had a large amount of NES, Genesis, and N64 stuff I would have taken, but my aunt gave it to one of his younger cousins.
    When you say "brain him"...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although current times are not good, and my collection is being sold,
    I miss my Atari LYNX collection. The GameBoy just sat there and gathered dust, while the LYNX gave me countless hours of fun.
    And, my Dreamcast collection. Many, many hours were lost on the last console from Sega.
    Loved the import SHMUP's!!
    Last edited by purenergy; 04-27-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

About a year and a half ago, I gave away Xenogears and Persona 2, both mint and complete, to a friend of mine for his birthday and Christmas presents, respectively. I figured that I'd be the good guy and let him have those because he's a big fan of both games and I already have a large assortment of other rare PS1 rpg's. Also, he was nice enough to trade me a mint Suikoden 2 for one of my SNES's way back in the day.

Well, through a certain series of events that have recently occurred, this guy has turned out to be quite possibly the biggest douchebag that I've ever known and I seriously regret turning over such prized games to this fool. But, it is what it is, I guess...

Insert Coin (Level 0) COUNT SMRIFNACK's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    COUNT SMRIFNACK

I regret not being able to remember who the F*** I borrowed most of my NES games to.

Insert Coin (Level 0) cosmicpsycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was younger I sold my TG-16 plus Bonk's Adventure, Ninja Spirit, Dragon Spirit, Pac-Land, Alien Crush, Legendary Axe, And Galaga 90 for 30$. Thats the one gaming thing I really regret selling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Without a doubt I regret selling my ex girlfriend on ebay last year. And all I got was a mere $274 for her. Had I'd known the market would have been better this year I could have gotten atleast $500 for her. Oh well, theres always her sister.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) outofkeyslightly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brain = oral sex, last time I checked...

My parents weren't too well off, so once the idea of being able to trade old for new was presented, I was pretty keen. Sorry if this goes long, I had a trading problem. I'm better now.

I sold my nes with about twenty games and a bunch of accessories (Including a U-Force!) to a friend for $100. As I recall this was to bankroll a snes, seeing as I already had a Genesis and the Nintendo was beginning to gather dust. I regretted it a little bit a few years later, but since the dawn of emulation, and especially since I bought a flash card for my gameboy sp many moons ago, I've had plenty of time to revisit the nes games I sold or never had anyway. Sadly, years of playing random nes games has _almost_ burnt me out on the entire system. That said, I now can play nes games from my ds, sp, dreamcast, computer (on the tv or not, with psx controllers) or even some on the gamecube via Animal Crossing, Mega Man compilations, or even the zelda collector's edition. Papa needs a Wii, but you get the idea. I don't really miss the old controllers or box, although my fiancée does, so to each his own. I have no immediate plans to buy a nes...

I also sold my game- gear and brick boy. I think I miss the b/w gameboy more, but again, I can (and do) play any of those games on the ds now, so it doesn't bother me. Funny how cheap games that I bought as a youngster like Quarth and Kwirk still hold my attention.

I sold my Super Nintendo as some point too, and I do miss that one. I never had that many games, but I did have some of the essentials like Mario Kart, All stars, world, paint, and Zelda lttp. The latter would be my favorite game until I played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, hehe... Again Emulation is enough for me, and the unnaturally inflated prices for used Super Nintendo games scares me off. Also, and this just might be the metrosexual side of me talking, but I'm kinda put off by the beige/purple/YELLOW appearance of apparently all used supernes's. My 32X might be a little dusty, but it's still a beautiful black mushroom of doom. I would rate my chances of collecting Super Nintendo games before I die around 50/50, but not any time soon.

I sold my gamecube and 15 great games for a period of like 18 months or something. This one actually broke my heart. I was in love with Pikmin 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Party 6, Double Dash, Smash Bros, etc etc, and really didn't want to sell it. I was kind of pushed into a corner though, financially, so what can you do. I kept my memory card needless to say. Later I managed to trade all the simpsons episodes for a pristine gamecube with a few games I was missing anyway. I've since bought 14 of the 15 games I originally had (Fuck Pac-Man Fever.) and about 40 others. My favorite bar none is Chibi Robo. That little robot could be a gta killer in the right hands...

I sold my playstation and some of the games, but that doesn't bother me that much as I think the emulation of psx is, by and large, superior to the real thing. Plus I had a working ps2 slim at the time of the sale. Grr.

And finally, I sold my Genesis and like 30-40 games at some point during the Super Nintendo life cycle, only to regret it immensely. Around the time that Genecyst was finding its legs, I bought a refurbished Genesis from Target bundled oddly enough with Garfield. I sold Garfield about ten minutes later at the funcoland in the same shopping center, and bought a few staples like sonic and street fighter sce. I bought a Sega CD with a couple games from a kid at school shortly thereafter, and a 32X a few years after that. Now, a little over ten years after I originally rebought my genesis, I finally have all the games I ever owned as a child. I put off buying the Menacer for a long time, and the last two games I actually only bought about a week and a half ago. NBA Jam T.E. I already owned for the 32x, and was a little torn on buying again, and Predater 2 I apparently didn't care much about. I have 172 genesis carts now, 25 32x games and 41 cds. Don't sell your games kids, you might end up buying them all plus a bunch more later. Not that having a bunch of games is a bad thing, but spending too much is...

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Selling: My original 1990 NES (got another one at a yard sale)

Giving Away: Gave my cousin the copy of "Lifeforce" I bought at a pawn shop (got another copy a few years ago).

Thrown away: My Gamepro EGM magazines from 1992-1995. I've not bothered with the Gamepro, but I have pretty much got back the EGM's I had (and then some).

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default regrets, I've had a few

Not really any game systems, but definitely my Amiga 500....and all the games I had...Had around 1000s of disks. Clocked Outrun with it eg. went thru every track and back to the start. (Did that with Pitfall II on my C64 too).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Selling: I sold off half of my SNES collection in high school, including Secret of Evermore, Super Mario RPG, Killer Instinct, ActRaiser, Demon's Crest, Mechwarrior 3050, and Super Star Wars. Thought I'd never play them again and wound up missing them all. When I started collecting in late 2003, I made a goal to get them back, and now they're all in my current SNES collection.

Throwing away: Late in the N64's lifespan, I got a one year subscription to Nintendo Power as a gift. A couple years later, I put them all in a paper bag and took them out to the curb. I wish I had kept them, especially since it'd be fun to read through them now. At least they got recycled.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

The amount of SNES and Genesis protos I've tossed over the years since the naked PCBs were just a pain to store. I was using a Skuljagger as a box cutter for awhile.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I always regretted trading away my 1st Vectrex unit when I was a youngster ...

... until I came into a collector-grade mint/boxed unit with a great collection of games and the light pen years later for an amazing price.

Unforunately, it was in SUCH mint condition, that even as a Vectrex enthusiast, I could never bring myself to de-box it and play it on a regular basis, and it wound up all being sold for a tremendous profit (which was nice too).

Thankfully, at yesterday's NAVA I got a great deal on a used Vectrex in really GOOD (but not 100% mint) condition (totally playable though, which is key) from another NAVA member.

Now the hunt begins for a Sean Kelly Multicart 2.0 at a reasonable price
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I always understood it: To brain somebody was to hit them in the head. I regret letting go of DragonForce on the Saturn.