Thread: R6LV2 vs COD4

Pretzel (Level 4) Dragon Warrior Jasen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default R6LV2 vs COD4

I just picked up a copy of R6LV2 so that my buddies with PS3's can play online with me. I also have COD4 on PS3 since that is a great game on any system, but all the folks I work with have PS3 so I got it on that vice XBox 360... so to play with people I know, i had to compromise and get them on PS3 vice 360. I normally would get them on 360 though because the online game play is far superior to PS3s.

I started COD4 a few months back, and online and in local its awesome. The major draw back is the lack of story mode in coop, similar to Halo or R6LV2. The online invite system is great, even on PS3 which isnt strong with online play/content. The lack of coop story mode, even locally really chaps my rear red.

I started R6LV2 yesterday, and the online and local coop mode is great. However, the invite system REALLY sucks. I hate it... they really let this part go downhill, which to me is a surprise being built using the UNREAL engine (which I know is graphics, but the UNREAL games major selling point is online play). Having to start a game, invite people, hope they realize they get the message, get to the sub menu under the pause menu, etc... what a nightmare.

I really wish they would have thought this through a bit more. Both COD4 and R6LV2 are good, but they should take lessons from each other in the future:

1. Use online play invite and waiting area like COD4
    2. Allow Coop mode like R6LV2

Thoughts?
    Jasen's Customs, Like it on Facebook!

Tutorials on SuperGuns
    http://www.thesupergun.com

Rocking Out a Digital Press since 2007
    My Feedback here.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My experiances with the unreal 3 engine lead me to believe the online modules are a buggy mess. They almost seem like an afterthought that needs to be hacked on to each developer's game as a seperate module (which i'm pretty sure it does).

As for co-op play in COD4, infinity ward had a rule that anything that dropped the game below 60 frames per second had to be cut. There's no way they could have gotten split screen working, the consoles just aren't powerfull enough. They didn't have time to put together online co-op. If you don't plan on doing it from the beginning, it can take a year or more to go back and add it in, it takes a full rewrite of the engine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

R6V2 is a great game and fun online, but I'll never understand why they only have a max of 2-player in the co-op campaign. They have 4-player terrorist hunt. What's the difference? It reeks of laziness.

Multiplayer in COD4 is practically perfect. It's the standard of what gamers should expect in all future 360/PS3 era online FPS's.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4) Dragon Warrior Jasen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hopefully, in the future they learn from eachother and take a look at other FPS with story and online modes.

Now-a-days, I don't think you can overlook this stuff... It sucks having two great games that arent Excellent games because they lack something the other has.
    Jasen's Customs, Like it on Facebook!

Tutorials on SuperGuns
    http://www.thesupergun.com

Rocking Out a Digital Press since 2007
    My Feedback here.