Thread: Nyko Dual-Compatible Frontman 3 Guitar for PS3 (DP hands-on)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Nyko Dual-Compatible Frontman 3 Guitar for PS3 (DP hands-on)

As much as I enjoy Rock Band, I'm not a fan of the Rock Band Fender Stratocaster guitar that Harmonix designed. It's not awful, but, I've spent the past FOUR Guitar Hero games using the Gibson series of guitars, enjoying certain controller design elements that I never felt needed improvements, and I didn't appreciate the changes that went into the design of the Fender.

Most importantly the lack of "CLICKY" strum bar

Enter the Frontman 3 for PS3, which is 100% compatible with both Rock Band and Guitar Hero III.

It's the guitar controller that I've been waiting ...

and waiting and waiting and waiting for!

Got mine today ... and I'm VERY VERY HAPPY!

Even though 3rd party guitar controllers have often been on the lower end of the quality spectrum - the Frontman 3 has PLENTY of positives to warrant a purchase.

1.) A "clicky" strum-bar that is absolutely on par with the Red Octane Les Paul series of guitars. Clicky strum is the way to go ... I'll never understand why Harmonix have moved away from that design.

2.) A totally superior tilt-sensor to both of the Strat's that I've owned. Not once have I "accidentally" deployed my star power during a game since switching over to this model.

3.) Built in rechargeable AA battery charger via USB cable.

4.) MATTE finish plastic! Yes, shiny is nice ... but GOD DAMN am I tired of wiping it down to get rid of all smudges.

5.) Dual compatibility. I don't have Guitar Hero for the PS3, I have it for the 360 ... but if I ever do come into a copy for some reason, I don't have to buy a separate guitar!

6.) The Frontman 3 has a good weight to it in the body ... it doesn't feel ultra light or flimsy.

7.) The "effects switch", unlike using the Guitar Hero controllers on the 360 version of Rock Band, you CAN select the guitar effects with this guitar.

8.) Inverted D-Pad ... so when you push UP towards you, you scroll UP through song lists!!!

I only have a few gripes about this thing ... but NONE of them disqualify it from being a good purchase IMO.

- No high frets.

- The D-Pad is a bit on the stiff size, but it works fine.

- The neck is a BIT on the fat size, but my hands are big enough, so that's not an issue for ME.

- The buttons take a bit to get used to, but I think that overall they're a great halfway point between the totally flat frets on the Strat (which I'm not a fan of) and the raised buttons on Gibson(s) and I haven't encountered any issues with their "action" lacking.

- I've never been a huge fan of the X-Plorer style body ... makes it hard to put in a "guitar stand"...luckily I have an adjustable one that fits it.

All in all - again - I'm VERY VERY happy right now, and I'm very much looking forward to going through all my favorite songs again on Guitar!!

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 05-01-2008 at 12:24 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

was about to create a post...thank goodness for the search function.

anyone else buy this and have any thoughts?

I'm teetering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

If my store gets one of those, I may abuse the return policy like everyone else does and exchange my RB guitar for that one. I'm tired of my star power going off when I don't want it to and having to fight with it when I need it, thus ruining a good run as a result. Not having the high frets won't bother me at all, I almost never use them and wouldn't bother me a bit that they're gone.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by youruglyclone View Post
    was about to create a post...thank goodness for the search function.

anyone else buy this and have any thoughts?

I'm teetering.
    It's awesome man, take the plunge.

The Game Stop family of stores have them discounted an extra $10 from $60 to $50 for their game days sale.

Other than the lack of solo fret keys, I think this kicks the Fender Strat's ass in every department.

Additionally, due to it's high level of accuracy (thanks to the metronome like quality of the clicky strum bar) I was able to realize that the Rock Band "default" calibration for LCD TV's was NOT correct for MY LCD TV ... I zero'ed it out in both audio and video lag and now I have 100% perfect timing and accuracy in all songs on guitar.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought this. Still pisses me off that I had to buy it since I had a rock band and guitar hero guitar now I have 3. Anyways, it is decent, the only thing i do not like is that the buttons are smaller then the neck so its easier to miss them.H

Oh ya, I also HATE the massive ugly usb dongle... GROSS.
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by alexkidd2000 View Post
    I bought this. Still pisses me off that I had to buy it since I had a rock band and guitar hero guitar now I have 3. Anyways, it is decent, the only thing i do not like is that the buttons are smaller then the neck so its easier to miss them.H

Oh ya, I also HATE the massive ugly usb dongle... GROSS.
    The USB dongle is big for sure, but it is neat that it looks like an actual guitar effect pedal AND has corresponding lights for each fret button that light up each time you press down on them (a neat light-show and a good way to know that the guitar is making an accurate wireless connection).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure I know the answer to this, but does it by chance let you play GH:80's on the PS3 properly?
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    I'm sure I know the answer to this, but does it by chance let you play GH:80's on the PS3 properly?
    No.

Nothing does.

The Frontman for PS3 only works for Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band.

The shortest of short-short answers on the other Guitar Hero games on PS3 is as follows:

You can play Guitar Hero 1 perfectly with a PS2 to USB PS3 adapter.

Guitar Hero 2 and Rocks the 80s can not be played at all with any commercial devices on the PS3.