Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default R-Type Command for PSP

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/01/r-...9-collectible/

That's an awesome 'pre-order' bonus. Game looks fun, too.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So much for R-Type Final being final.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Hmmmmmmmm

I'm not too sure about turning R-Type into a hex-based turn-based strategy game, BUT I wasn't sure about Metal Gear Ac!d either, and I loved both of those on PSP, so I'll probably give this a shot.

And yes, that pre-order is farking awesome, but it's probably tiny. They always are.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I don't even own a PSP, yet I want that R-9....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

The demo for the game is on the PS Store.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Didn't really care for it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This game should really be $30, not $40. It's unfortunately not a very good game and giving me a 1" high plastic model is not going to make it worth buying at launch since a $20 price tag is just a short while away.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Yeah, much as I love R-Type, the demo comes off as an incredibly well made flash game: not really worth forty bucks.

And I have enough future landfill plastic cluttering up my house.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As Jorpho said.

I'm sure I'll be able to pick one of these up on the cheap someday...remains to be seen if I'll really care about it, since R-Type never was my favorite series.

Make the dragon from Dragon Breed, and then we'll talk

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After playing the demo, it's about what I expected after reading how people didn't like it.

It is not bad at all, just not truly great. I'd say for most people, it might be worth picking up at $20.

However if you are a fan of turn-based strategy games that use hexagonal movement (unlike Advance Wars), and you're a fan of Military Madness (TG16),
    Neo Nectaris/Military Madness2 (PCE SCD/TurboDuo)
    and Nectaris: Military Madness (PS1) then I recommend getting R-Type Command when it comes out, even at 39.99.

Face it, there are not a huge number of PSP games out or coming out, and of those, only a few are worth playing. I'd say R-Type Command is.

Forget the fact that Command is set in the R-Type universe and uses the R-Type IP. It does work though. R-Type was a strategic shoot em up in a sense. Command lends itself to that. Think of it more as a fairly simple turn-based strategy game with less of the 'fluff' found in the Advance Wars series, and without the over-complexity of the Daisenryaku series.

Plus the pre-rendered intro CGI is just gorgeous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got it pre-ordered. I've come to enjoy hex-based strategy games. Nectaris: Military Madness is great, so I think I'll enjoy this.

Speaking of Daisenryaku, it would be nice if this series, which seems to get annual installments, would get more than 1-2 releases in the West. I still have yet to pick up the Xbox/PS2 one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz View Post
    I've got it pre-ordered. I've come to enjoy hex-based strategy games. Nectaris: Military Madness is great, so I think I'll enjoy this.

Speaking of Daisenryaku, it would be nice if this series, which seems to get annual installments, would get more than 1-2 releases in the West. I still have yet to pick up the Xbox/PS2 one.
    I have Daisenryaku VII for Xbox. It's pretty good, yet, I haven't even scratched the surface of it. I have yet to grasp the complexity of the system, even though it's relatively simple compared to some PC games. I

I've played only a handful of the many releases of this series, which spans 20+ years, across many computer, console and handheld platforms. So far, Iron Storm on Saturn is my favorite Daisenryaku game. Sadly I parted with it years ago. I need to re-acquire that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

$40 for this game is a joke (or any PSP game at this point). Atlus should know better.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

R-Type Command Multiplayer Impressions
    Going head-to-head in the depths of space.

by Ryan Clements

May 5, 2008 - R-Type Command takes the universe of the legendary shooter franchise and sets it on a hex-based grid. Fans of the series may recognize the various R Fighters and Forces flying across the screen, but Command is definitely a different game than its predecessors. We sat down and sunk some time into the game's multiplayer mode, where you and a friend can duel in the hex-filled vastness of space. Let's chat about what this battle really looks like.

In case you missed our previous coverage of the game, R-Type Command is a rather complex, turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of a fleet of ships against an opposing fleet. Each stage is a 2D grid where all your units are represented by stylish sprites and are generally oriented in one direction. During your turn, you can move each unit in your command a set number of spaces and execute a variety of attacks, depending on the ship type. A ship can only move and attack once per turn, or "phase," and then your opponent can issues commands accordingly.

We've been told that the multiplayer elements of R-Type Command play a big role in the overall experience, and that certainly seems to be the case. Although there are an abundant amount of missions in the single-player campaign (a surprising amount, actually), you can fight a friend on a number of different arenas. As you progress through the levels of the single-player game, you unlock those very stages to use in the VS. Mode. Furthermore, battles will be made more interesting because you're bringing your personal fleet into combat. As you build up your armada, research new technologies and increase the skill level of your pilots, you can bring those advancements to the multiplayer arena and show off your accomplishments to a buddy. Neat.

As far as we can tell, you'll have two different armadas for your Human and Bydo campaigns, so in order to effectively play as the Bydo (a malicious alien entity) you'll need to plow through the single-player mode and build up your respective Bydo fleet. But you and a friend can opt to both play as Human armadas, which is good. The icing on the cake comes in the form of wagers. Before a match begins, you're presented with the option to wager resources on the upcoming match. If you both agree to place bets, you're taken to a contract screen where you can decide just how many resources you expect from your opponent if you win. When you both agree, the battle begins.

This wagering element definitely adds to the fun, because resources are extremely important in the single-player campaign. They're hard to come by when playing on your own and thus snagging some from a friend is a huge incentive. We definitely appreciated this option.

The battles themselves ran quite nicely -- for the most part. We did have some trouble hosting a match on an old PSP, but after a few disconnects, the game ran without a problem. You can set the number of turns and other various options like fog of war, battle animations, etc. Each player is placed (usually) on opposite ends of the map and is given a limited area in which to deploy their units. Once deployment is complete, you take turns commanding your fleets exactly as you would in the single-player game. We were really impressed that the flow and feeling of the game is preserved so perfectly in the multiplayer experience.

I took on IGN fan-favorite Sam Bishop in a few matches and, besides the aforementioned disconnects in the beginning, our play experience was fantastic. There is little to no delay in unit movement and loading and the battle played out smoothly. It became painfully evident that gamers with a suped-up fleet will be able to roll right over standard armadas. Even though Sam was more than familiar with the game, he only had the "default" fleet available to him and was promptly defeated. Luckily, you can modify the strength of your forces to balance the scales in the options menu.

Ultimately, our time with R-Type Command's multiplayer was a solid experience. You'll obviously need a friend with a copy of the game to play because there's only ad-hoc support, but the complexity and depth of the core mechanics will give you a wealth of options for head-to-head duels. Customizing your fleet and finding your own play style are just a few of the many things that make R-Type Command promising. Check back here very soon for our full review.
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/871/871721p1.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Everyone should go out and buy R-Type Command. Irem & Atlus did a nice job on packaging up a decent/average game.

It's slow (much slower than AW) and slower than the original Military Madness, but about the same speed as say, Neo Nectaris or Nectaris on PS1, but R-Type Command is addictive.

Perhaps Hudson is watching. If Command sells decently (doubtful but who knows, AW took off) then maybe Hudson will concider making another Nectaris game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I want is the little figurine.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I know why this game is getting a bad rap, and I certainly agree that $40 for most any portable game is overcharging. It can run and load very slow, and there are a few control/interface issues that should have been ironed out considering the production values.

And yet...

I am absolutely in love with this game!! I've been hooked on it every night this week. I love the feel, the outright eerie presence that the R-Type license brings to the formula, the amount of units and abilities for each unit, the board-game like look of the hex layout over the surprisingly diverse looking maps, the tone-setting if repetitive music (and really, what music wouldn't get repetitive at that pacing?), interesting strategies with the charging/cheap hit to reset charging dynamic and explosive decoys (to name a few), and the little details like the story journal.

It isn't for everyone, certainly. It isn't even necessarily for R-Type fans. But I love Nectaris, Military Madness, Advance Wars, and Dai Senryaku, as well as the R-Type series, and I don't mind the slower pacing. So it was definitely made for me.

And it is awesome.
    Mekka-lekka hi, mekka-hinney-hoh