Thread: Echochrome - Anybody else knocking on the door?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Echochrome - Anybody else knocking on the door?

My hat goes off to Sony ...

when I first heard that they weren't going to do a UMD or DVD release of Echochrome in the US I was bummed, but now that it's launched, I'm glad they decided on digital distribution only for this set of not-so-identical twin games for PS3 and PSP.

At $10 each, the price is definitely right, and both versions have completely different levels, as well as level creation tools.

It's not every day that we get puzzle games that tread new ground ... and while this one has some roots in games like Lemmings, it's equal parts zen exercise, minimalist art project, and MENSA entrance exam.

Great stuff ... yet after only a day of tooling around in the world of Echochrome even though I WANT to, I somehow feel woefully mentally under-equipped to CREATE levels ... hopefully after I start completing some of the more advanced levels I'll have a better grasp on thinking in "M.C. Escher" style visual logic.

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I'm really disappointed they didn't give this game a UMD release. I don't own a PS3 (nor do I intend to get one anytime soon), so I don't see any way I can ever actually get this game. I guess I'll have to resort to pirating it, which is unfortunate, because I was more than willing to go to a store to buy it.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    I'm really disappointed they didn't give this game a UMD release. I don't own a PS3 (nor do I intend to get one anytime soon), so I don't see any way I can ever actually get this game. I guess I'll have to resort to pirating it, which is unfortunate, because I was more than willing to go to a store to buy it.

--Zero
    You don't need to own a PS3 to buy download-only PSP games!

Just go to the INTERNET Playstation store!!!

http://store.playstation.com

You can purchase games (or download free stuff) there and load them directly onto your PSP with a USB cable the same as you'd would on a PS3.

In fact, they download a heck of a lot FASTER via PC than they do over the PS3's network.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The finicky control of the PS3 version makes the game much tougher than it needs to be. I think the idea is interesting, but the execution leaves something to be desired. I played the demo for an hour last weekend. You are automatically forced to use the standard "Japanese" style X and Y axis. I'm an "inverted control" player. My hands and mind were not on the same page. Does the full version give you an option to invert controls?
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    The finicky control of the PS3 version makes the game much tougher than it needs to be. I think the idea is interesting, but the execution leaves something to be desired. I played the demo for an hour last weekend. You are automatically forced to use the standard "Japanese" style X and Y axis. I'm an "inverted control" player. My hands and mind were not on the same page. Does the full version give you an option to invert controls?
    Yup.

Both vertical and horizontal rotations can be reversed independently.

And you can rotate the screen faster by holding the R1 (L1 is SixaxiS motion controls ... but that doesn't make the game any easier) and "snap" 2D/3D "plane" area connections together by pressing square if that helps.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 05-02-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I played an import of this for a while. I liked it, but it sure gets difficult later on, which I found frustrating rather quickly. Really makes you put on your thinking cap.

I don't think mine fits that well anymore.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    I played an import of this for a while. I liked it, but it sure gets difficult later on, which I found frustrating rather quickly. Really makes you put on your thinking cap.

I don't think mine fits that well anymore.
    Yeah, it's VERY challenging ... but immensely satisfying when you figure something out that's been keeping you stuck for a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I didn't really enjoy the demo.

The less-than-stellar controls were my major turn-off.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I don't care for the game either based on the demo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm really not seeing people's criticism of the game's controls. **EDIT ... okay, I'm beginning to see where some frustration lies ... it's not as perfect as one would hope, but I don't think it's a broken game control-wise by any means.**

In the full version of the game you can flip the axis controls for both vertical and horizontal ...

... otherwise, all you're doing is rotating the environment ... there's really no (severe) lack of precise-ness it's rather smooth IMO, and if you need to you can hit a button to have the plane areas "quick-snap" together so you don't have to fiddle around with lining them up in a time-sensitive situation (your mileage may vary with the square button).

Of course, I totally understand that the game isn't for everybody by nature of it's esoteric puzzle-ness ...
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 05-04-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I bought the game based on the demo, but I certainly understand people bitching about the controls. I've run into several situations where I've had trouble getting pieces to align properly (with the shitty square button being about as useful as Chuck Norris in a wheelchair), in some cases causing me to run out of time and in others causing the little guy to hurdle to his demise. It's a really unique game, it's just a shame things fit together so poorly a lot of times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I downloaded the game and have been enjoying it, but there are slight problems that should be fixed. Like others have said, the controls get awkwards at times, resulting in the little man falling to his doom. Also, I've had trouble lining things up, which either resulted in the guy turning around, or again falling into abyss. The triangle button helps this a little by pausing the movement, but that kind of defeats the premise of the game.

Maybe they'll release a patch to fix the problems, but as of now I guess we'll have to deal with them.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well, since my last post, I have since run into a few plane "alignment" issues on harder, more complex levels ... but nothing that I couldn't get to work correctly after a try or two (or a re-try of the entire respective level).

Another thing that I've noticed is that sometimes the little walking guy will actually get hung up in a pattern that contradicts the "laws" of the Echochrome universe. Sometimes he won't walk past a "gap" that you've completely obscured, and sometimes he will, and sometimes he'll walk in a pattern that doesn't jive with the large 2X6 or 2X8 plane area you've created by lining them up ... he'll just circle around in a small square instead of covering the entire area. Very strange AI problems.

So, yeah, I suppose there are a few bugs in there that warrant frustration ...

Though, all that aside l still think it's a great game for $10.