Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default Id announces Doom 4.

[sarcasm]Wow! Didn't see this one coming![/sarcasm]

Well.... Looks like id software is making a new Doom to show off their new Tech 5 engine.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/07/do...ftware-hiring/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe this time there wont be any closed corridors or dark hallways and shitty character designs. Hope this is portable to 360 and PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't wait. Doom 3 got really good in the second half (you know, when it quit relying on bullshit monster spawning and monster closets and focused more on creative level and encounter design), so assuming they've learned their lesson then this could pan out to be really fucking good.

Let's just hope that they include optional subtitles for those that wish to enable them. It's downright bullshit that a third party had to make a mod for Doom 3 for that, especially when the games (released years earlier) that so obviously inspired various design decisions in Doom 3 included subtitles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't want to read PDA's and listen to orders this time. I just want to shoot things in the face and run around like the old days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't want to read PDA's and listen to orders this time. I just want to shoot things in the face and run around like the old days.
    This guy gets it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What they need to do is spend more time working on the flashlight concept to get good flashlight effects. Maybe we can have a battery that gets weaker and you have to find fresh batteries all the time.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Yes, fresh batteries. You can drain the water from the pool in the backyard and go down the ladder and get the batteries from the radio floating on that pool chair. Just make sure to turn the water back on pretty fast or the nuclear reactor in the bottom of the pool will go into meltdown mode and the purple meteor will win and you'll never rescue Sandy.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I'd be happier if they'd finally release Doom II on XBLA.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Didn't they say they weren't going to make Doom 4? I'm glad they decided to make it, But it bugs me that they said that they weren't going to make it and now they are..

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    That was why I really enjoyed playing it co-op over Xbox Live. No slowing down, just grab a buddy, run & gun through hordes of demons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Figures.

Id always finds a way to fuck me up as soon as I get a new graphics card. I'm sure I won't be playing this game at full framerate till I have a grand or so to burn on upgrades.

Honestly....is the Doom 3 engine that old and has it been fully utilized? I mean for christs sakes we just got the new crytek engine....is that good enough to go on for a while? All these "new engines" is beginning to really piss me off. I remember the old days when the original Half-Life engine and the original Unreal engine went into making alot of great games, nowadays these engines seem disposable before they even come to light.

The engines these days don't seem to be being fully realized and utilized or going nearly as far to make kick ass games as they should be. It's just always who can one up the other and we the pc gamer are paying out the ass. Next it will be Half-Life 3 and their super conductive extra triangular blooming metaphysical dynamic high range lighting x10 engine.....just watch.

Not that I don't like new technologies, just that they are being disposed of way too quickly where a generation of pc gamers can't even garner in the delights of a full generation of titles based off the engines.

Oh btw, A NEW DOOM, WOOHOO!
    Last edited by BHvrd; 05-08-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    ... and we the pc gamer are paying out the ass.
    That's why I switched to console gaming. I remember saving and saving for a 3DFX card back in the day, only to have it trounced a few months later. I hated reading a preview for a game and getting all excited only to find out I couldn't even play it. I still play PC games from time to time, but only old ones that that my system can handle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Figures.

Id always finds a way to fuck me up as soon as I get a new graphics card. I'm sure I won't be playing this game at full framerate till I have a grand or so to burn on upgrades.

Honestly....is the Doom 3 engine that old and has it been fully utilized? I mean for christs sakes we just got the new crytek engine....is that good enough to go on for a while? All these "new engines" is beginning to really piss me off. I remember the old days when the original Half-Life engine and the original Unreal engine went into making alot of great games, nowadays these engines seem disposable before they even come to light.

The engines these days don't seem to be being fully realized and utilized or going nearly as far to make kick ass games as they should be. It's just always who can one up the other and we the pc gamer are paying out the ass. Next it will be Half-Life 3 and their super conductive extra triangular blooming metaphysical dynamic high range lighting x10 engine.....just watch.

Not that I don't like new technologies, just that they are being disposed of way too quickly where a generation of pc gamers can't even garner in the delights of a full generation of titles based off the engines.

Oh btw, A NEW DOOM, WOOHOO!
    Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with the tech demos I've seen of the Tech 5 engine. It looked like a modded Doom 3 engine, IMO. It sounds like all they did was make improvements in texturing - that's about it.

From what I hear, this engine isn't really a resource hog, like the Unreal 3 and Crytek.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    Didn't they say they weren't going to make Doom 4? I'm glad they decided to make it, But it bugs me that they said that they weren't going to make it and now they are..
    Not that i've ever heard. I'm fairly sure Doom 4 has always been in the pipes.

Honestly....is the Doom 3 engine that old and has it been fully utilized?
    Doom 3 engine is 4 years old now. It had very limited uses for other games due to a few... issues? It had some problems.

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Honestly, I wasn't all that impressed with the tech demos I've seen of the Tech 5 engine. It looked like a modded Doom 3 engine, IMO. It sounds like all they did was make improvements in texturing - that's about it.

From what I hear, this engine isn't really a resource hog, like the Unreal 3 and Crytek.
    John Carmack is easily the best programmer i've ever worked with. From an outward appearance, there isn't much further for game engines to go. Given enough CPU cycles, you could make a photorealistic game with today's engines. He's going the other direction and making engines that look awesome on lower grade hardware.

From what i've heard so far, the best qualities of Tech 5 have only been hinted at. But they've been hinted pretty hard, so look around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    Yes, fresh batteries. You can drain the water from the pool in the backyard and go down the ladder and get the batteries from the radio floating on that pool chair.
    Don't forget about the red button that reads "do not push", because pressing it could lead to all kinds of problems. And don't get me started on what happens if the electricity is out for too long.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the love of Paul, if I'm going to have to rely on a flashlight to see in pitch dark, let it atleast be attached to a big ass gun I can use. And no more demons spanwing three feet behind where I just walked past.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Doom 3 became much less scary when i learned to walk through doors backwards"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Not that i've ever heard. I'm fairly sure Doom 4 has always been in the pipes.
    I'm sure I heard someone say in the interviews for Doom 3 in the Doom 3 LE that they were not going to make a Doom 4. I remember being very disappointed when I heard it.
    Last edited by Slate; 05-09-2008 at 09:05 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought III on XBOX and got only 1/3 the way through it (although I liked what I played). Umm... I'm sure I'll pick this one up as long as it comes out on PS3.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    And don't get me started on what happens if the electricity is out for too long.
    You get eaten by grues?

Maybe that's what the Doom series needs.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."