Thread: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia announced for fall... Here we go again...

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia announced for fall... Here we go again...

here is one preview. here is another.

I really, really loves me some Castlevania, but I can't help but feel a tiny smidge of apathy at this new iteration(obviously not enough to keep me from starting a thread about it, but enough digression). Anyone else think along the same lines?

Of course I'm gonna pick it up, and of course I'm going to finish it, and of course I'll probably enjoy it. I just think that maybe it's time for something new from IGA and Co.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

We've already been talking about it here.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought there was a Castlevania game that had a female lead.

And no, that is not a crack at the androgynous pretty boys of recent games.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

Yay, it's annouced <3. I love the CV series of course, but IGA should spiff it up a bit. The reused sprites and stuff do get a little annoying after a few games. This game sounds solid though, and I'm glad we can explore outside the castle. The lead char is female too, I love that.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Somehow, none of them actually have the same wonder and magic that Symphony of the Night did, and still does even today.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    I thought there was a Castlevania game that had a female lead.

And no, that is not a crack at the androgynous pretty boys of recent games.

Castlevania Legends for the original Gameboy had a female lead.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Awesome. Looking forward to this one. I've enjoyed all the GBA and DS Castlevania games, despite them all being the same engine really.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I now know what I'll be receiving for my birthday this year. I figure, hell, If they can make a new iteration of sports titles every single year than why not Castlevania? They came back to their A-game with Aria and the quality has remained high since. Then again, I'm a huge Castlevania nut so go figure.

I'm hoping for another pre-order bonus. But, not another keychain...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the portable Castlevania's. Keep them coming.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    Somehow, none of them actually have the same wonder and magic that Symphony of the Night did, and still does even today.
    I'd disagree with that. I found Dawn of Sorrow to be superior to Symphony of the Night. The whole capturing souls systems from Aria was perfected, the areas, artwork, and soundtrack were all very good as well.

SOTN has a FFVII style hype machine still going for it, that I believe blinds many people for the other fantastic games in the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LucidDefender View Post
    I'd disagree with that. I found Dawn of Sorrow to be superior to Symphony of the Night. The whole capturing souls systems from Aria was perfected, the areas, artwork, and soundtrack were all very good as well.

SOTN has a FFVII style hype machine still going for it, that I believe blinds many people for the other fantastic games in the series.
    I agree that as good as Symphony is, there have been equally good or better Castlevania's since, but like FFVII before it, it was the "first of its kind", and that's worth a lot, in my eyes as well...

I'm excited about playing a new Castlevania on the DS, of course, but I wish Konami would release a compilation of all the old NES, Super NES, Game Boy and GBA Castlevanias on the PSP - that would make for an amazing collection!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

wasn't the canceled dreamcast Castlevania supposed to have a female lead character too?

I will have to say, in my opinion, that Symphony still has something to it that all the other ones don't. They may have added more features such as soul collecting and whatnot, but Symphony is still the one that I pop in and play when I need a castlevania to play.

I will gladly take a new castlevania game any day of the week. As long as they don't start making "Castlevnia Party" and "Castlevnia the non game for everyone on wii" then I'll take it. They should do something with the graphics though I do agree. Maybe something more like the Drac. X Chronicles on PSP for graphics.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

The thing about Symphony of the Night is that, even though the DS games have indeed perfected some of the gameplay elements, they haven't yet a) surpassed the visual and musical quality of SotN, IMO, and b) they haven't kept the game as "simple." Yeah, it's possible to do all the things in Dawn of Sorrow that Alucard could, but with SotN, it was all in one package - you could do anything, really, just with the controller, without switching out all these items and doing all this nonsense. I mean, if you wanted added bonus effects like the shield rod thing or whatever, you could, but you didn't need to.

It's not totally about the SotN hype machine - it's a matter of preference. The GBA / DS games are highly enjoyable, don't get me wrong...but they haven't quite captured the same balance between simplicity and artistic form that the original did.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by Jimid2 View Post
    I'm excited about playing a new Castlevania on the DS, of course, but I wish Konami would release a compilation of all the old NES, Super NES, Game Boy and GBA Castlevanias on the PSP - that would make for an amazing collection!
    I agree that this is wayyyy overdue. It probably would have to be on a Nintendo System, but how cool would a comp disc be of all the classics? Instant million sold easily
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    wasn't the canceled dreamcast Castlevania supposed to have a female lead character too?
    Sonia from CV legends yes.

I always liked AoS the most. Symphony was WAYYY too easy, and the soul collecting is basically the most kickass things ever. DoS felt lamer and easier than AoS, and the character designs pretty much sucked ass since Kojima was working on CoD.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

ok so does this have that highly lame anime feel? those make me want to vomit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    ok so does this have that highly lame anime feel? those make me want to vomit.
    From the screenshots so far, it appears they've gone back (or at least closer) to the "classic SotN" Castlevania style.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I will gladly take a new castlevania game any day of the week. As long as they don't start making "Castlevnia Party" and "Castlevnia the non game for everyone on wii" then I'll take it.
    The closest they ever came to a "Castlevania Party" was Simon Belmont's appearance in Dream Mix: TV World Fighters in Japan on GameCube and PlayStation 2, which is one of my favorite imports. Imagine Super Smash Bros. with Simon Belmont in it.

Although I would probably play "Castlevania: Whipping Boy" starring a super-deformed Simon on the Wii.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.