Thread: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GC)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GC)

As was posted awhile ago...

It seems like a Gamecube Metal Gear Solid game is coming to the Gamecube. It looks like the title will be MGS: The Twin Snakes. But, It will be developed by Nintendo's Silicon Knights (crew of Eternal Darkness and Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain). And, it is a remake of the original Metal Gear Solid.

Christ! Why bother remaking an entire game to use the same story? Are we that bankrupt for ideas these days?

Oh yeah, it is planned for later this year and is being produced under the guidance of Konami's Hideo Kojima and Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto. And, there has been some discussion on these boards lately to what the term "guidance" means here.

News Article

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reminds me to play this unopened Eternal Darkness that's sitting on the shelf, which BTW is only $15 new at Game Stop right now...

What if this new Metal Gear turns out to be the new Metroid Prime, meaning it's actually mind-blowing? Nobody thought Retro could do Metroid right...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I think that Silcon Knights is a good development company. I am not doubting their abilities at all.

I just wonder why go through all the effort for a story that a lot of us have played before?

I also wonder how much guidance those two can be giving considering that Koji is working on the new Castlevania, and well, Miyamoto's new job is just rubber-stamping.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would be worried if it was just Miyamoto giving his guidence, not because I think he doesn't have it in him, but because game of this nature really aren't his cup of tea.

But if Kojima over seeing, then I have no worries.
    I am in fact the guy that made the Raisins prototype worth thousands less by dumping it. "D'oh!!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think calling Miyamoto a "rubber stamper" is a bit um premature. I hadn't heard about Twin Snakes being a remake, can you link to a news article or something?

And I've always been of the opinion that there's enough backstory in both of the MGS games to fill several games. What I'd really like to see is a remake of the original Metal Gear for the MSX/NES.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The news article was at the bottom of the first post. But, here are some more:

http://www.gamefaction.com/news/105179369014419.shtml

http://www.totalvideogames.com/?sect...&format=000008

The second article says that it's an adaptation of the original MGS, most other news sources I've seen say that it will use the original story.

I was kinda kidding about Miyamoto, the Rubber Stamper. But, I just wonder what their roles are. I mean, Silicon Knights is based in Ontario. I am pretty sure that Koji has his own development team at Konami. Is he really going to overseeing this project as well as others? Or will they just be sending him stuff for approval?

On a side note, Nintendo has really pumped up its third-party game list lately. I'm impressed. What's Microsoft been doing?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

doh, I failed to notice that. Thanks, Gene. What I keep wondering about is this weird policy that companies seem to be taking nowadays that games can be redone. It's better than a port, but worse than an original game. Definitely an odd sight, and one that Nintendo seems to do a lot. I can't help but wonder if a lot of it is calling in favors, or laying down large sums in order to get games that can be called exclusive. It seems to me that this is all the companies are willing to do for Nintendo, since actually devoting major resources to a GC exclusive game would be too much.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The point...?

I don't know if im the only one. But I played MGS games for the plot. I fell in love with the MGS2 plot. My cousin has the gamecube, Ill have him rent it and I'll glance over it when it comes out

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guess I'm the only one who thinks this is a GREAT idea. I've always been wishing Square would redo ALL of the final fantasy games with ONLY updated graphics and sound, keep the chars and the stories.

Imagine Final Fantasy 6 updated with FFX Sound and graphics. Keep the battle systems, all the gameplay, characters, and story in tact.

Instead, we get FFX-2. <shrug>
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno. My friend imported FF X2, just because he does that, but he really had no hope for the game. Turns out he is quite satisfied with it. Say its pretty damn good. So I will hold my judgement.
    I am in fact the guy that made the Raisins prototype worth thousands less by dumping it. "D'oh!!"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mind remakes, provided everything gets an uphaul... that's why I hate the GBA because everything is getting a straight up port.