Thread: Underrated Game: Pac-Man 2

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Underrated Game: Pac-Man 2

So I was just talking to a friend of mine, and eventually the topic came around to Pac-Man games, and specifically this game.

Released in 1994, Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures was not only a rather unique entry in the Pac-series, but in the entire length and breadth of video games.

The game didn't really have a plot, but rather had four levels each with its own plot. In the background of each (and finally becoming the main plot in the fourth episode) are the four Ghosts, who in this story are under the command of the Ghost Witch. I don't quite remember what the deal with her is, but she is SOO much cooler than that stupid Count from the cartoon. The last plot involves her stealing bubblegum so she can create a monster (don't laugh... this is a setup for one of the most absolute fun final confrontations in gaming history).

One of the best ways of describing it is that its sort of like an adventure game, except you don't control the hero directly.

That's actually where most of the fun comes from. You don't control Pac--he's entirely himself, acting on his own. He will take action on his own, even if you do absolutely nothing. On the other hand, Pac isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the box. That's where you come in. You, the player, are Pac's silent partner who helps him through things. You do this primarily by calling Pac-Man's attention to things via your slingshot. Sometimes you have to manipulate the environment too. Timing is important. Want Pac to eat that apple? Shoot it out of the tree while he's looking. Its very easy to get the hang of.

Another thing that made the game fun (though could be annoying because it could create situations where you're stuck) was that Pac had moods. Certain things you do would either make Pac happy, sad, angry, or even make him lose his sanity. These things affected not only how he responds to your input but also to the world around him. In a normal mood, he'll run from the angry dog. If he's pissed off or whacked-out enough, he might ignore it, or even try to fight it!

Being insane was the best. This could only happen in certain areas--typically as a result of eating something he shouldn't--but it rocked when it happened. Best of all was Pac-Man's reaction to ghosts. The ghosts are always hiding out in crates or something you need to blow open (you can always tell which ones because you can see their eyes). Normally, when the ghosts are around Pac-Man cowers in fear until either he faints or you feed him a power pellet (which turns him into the high-flying caped hero Super Pac-Man), but if Pac's flipped his lid he'll simply sit there and laugh.

[No, the ghosts never come out until you blow their cover, but there are three places where you need to fight them in order to get a keycard]

As an additional bonus, it features the original arcade version of Pac-Man as an unlockable (the SNES version also features Ms. Pac-Man, while the Genesis version features Pac-Man Jr.)

When I first played it, I was addicted to Pac-Man 2 for weeks on end, and eventually bought the game. Even today, it is still awesome to pop it in every once in awhile and... well, since Paccy has his own personality, its really like revisiting an old friend. Besides that, I've never gotten a 100% completion rating.

Unfortunately it was never a very popular game. magazines gave it middling-to-low scores, and it didn't sell in high numbers. The problem essentially was the same thing that plagued Zelda 2: It was too different. Gamers want more of the same. Pac-Man, to them, was a little round dude who ran around mazes eating dots for no apparent reason while avoiding ghosts. In this case its particularly sad. I kinda wish someone would make a Pac-Man 3 that's in the same lieu as Pac-Man 2, or at least wish that someone would make a "Pac-Man 2 Adventure Creation Kit" so a community could make their own adventures. This is a game that does not deserve to die.

Well, that's my piece for the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pac-Man 2 had an interesting concept. But yeah, it was too different - while the arcade game was easy to pick up and play, Pac-Man 2 was anything but, and that turned some people off, myself included. Sure, it was pretty faithful to the cartoon show, but that's not what people wanted in a Pac-Man sequel.

I tried to give the game a chance when I acquired the SNES version in 2004, but I eventually gave up, and today, I only play the game whenever I want a Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man fix on my SNES. And according to Wikipedia...

It is worth noting that the conversions of Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man play somewhat differently than their original arcade counterparts - the ghosts behave differently, and the games play at different speeds than the originals. Also, Pac-Jr. is a graphic hack of Ms. Pac-Man, and not a conversion of the unauthorized arcade game Jr. Pac-Man. This was presumably done due to the fact that a Genesis version of Ms. Pac-Man was already released prior to this game.
    EDIT: I just remembered that TheRedEye did quite an interesting review of the game in DP's reviews section. Here it is.
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 05-29-2008 at 02:22 PM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I thought the game was rather easy to pick up and play. The tutorial at the beginning helps too.

Actually, I just got done beating it again.

Faithful to the cartoon? No. Took some ideas from the cartoon maybe, but the universe of PM2 is almost completely different from HB's crapfest.

EDIT: I like that review.
    Last edited by James8BitStar; 05-29-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) outofkeyslightly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LOOK, this was one of the first games I sought out after re-buying a Genesis. It's not that's it's a very good game, but I really just enjoy goofing off in it. I don't think I've ever progressed past level three, but abusing Pac-Man is a lot of fun, albeit a little sick. My fiancée is a psych major and will let me abuse Pac-Man a little bit, but won't stand for any violence toward Pac-Dog. If you shoot Pac-Man enough times, or scare him in other ways, he curls into a ball on the ground and refuse to move. Good times...

Plus getting him to eat the caterpillar, and watching the ensuing acid freak-out/self induced hammer trauma/tongue pulling is well worth the very cheap admission. WTF?!

Pics and video of the above described allergic reaction
    Last edited by outofkeyslightly; 05-29-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I remember renting this game as a kid, while it did take a bit to get into, I ended up liking this game a lot and beat it within the 3 day renting limit Blockbuster used to have. So I agree that the game is underrated, but I may just go back and play it again to see how my opinion as changed over the years.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pac-man 2 is definitely one of my favorite games of the 16-bit era. It just has a style and presentation that make it stand out from everything else. To think that at the height of the mascot platformer craze, Namco had the brilliance to do something different when it would have been so easy to just make it a standard run and jump platformer. Instead they created something unique and enduring. That demands my respect.

I've been praying to the Pac-gods for a remake (who has the faith for a sequel in this day and age?) on the DS. That would be so perfect. The only problem with the original versions was that the control was so clunky; it'd be pure butter on the DS, which would allow people to really get into the game and understand why it's so great. I'd be double-happy if they expanded the arcade, too, so that it was something like a comprehensive Pac-man museum with playable versions of all the official Pac-man games. IT MUST HAPPEN!

...word is bondage...

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A DS sequel would be fantastic. Additional zany adventures giving way to new opportunities to unleash Pac-Man's volatile emotions upon the world.. awesome.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I always liked the concept. A lot. But never had the time/patience do play it properly. This post rekindled my interest...
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    A DS sequel would be fantastic. Additional zany adventures giving way to new opportunities to unleash Pac-Man's volatile emotions upon the world.. awesome.
    I'd be all over such a title.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    EDIT: I just remembered that TheRedEye did quite an interesting review of the game in DP's reviews section. Here it is.
    Jesus god that's embarrassing to look back on. I want to punch myself in the past.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    Jesus god that's embarrassing to look back on. I want to punch myself in the past.
    Ehh, that review is an enjoyable read. There's a weird honesty and passion about it. Pac-Man 2 is a groovy game and deserves that sort of underground recognition, especially in lieu of mainstream acceptance.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    Ehh, that review is an enjoyable read. There's a weird honesty and passion about it. Pac-Man 2 is a groovy game and deserves that sort of underground recognition, especially in lieu of mainstream acceptance.
    Yeah. I didn't know how to explain it then, and I still don't now, but I honestly think that Pac-Man 2 is a prototype for what games will be in the future. I've been to countless game design lectures and GDC panels where people try to solve the problem of keeping the player on track and experiencing the narrative while still having a sense of total freedom, and I think this game holds that holy grail answer. I think it's hidden, but it's in there.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really looked at it as a Pac-man torture simulator until i read Frank's review...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    I never really looked at it as a Pac-man torture simulator until i read Frank's review...
    Getting a double kill is the best. Piss off the hot dog owner so he squirts Pac-Man in the face, he'll turn around with a face full of ketchup and shrug. Just before the screen fades out, shoot a cat, and it will jump off the wall and maul him.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh! Also, try to make the ghosts appear when Pac-Man is a slobbering drunk. They'll circle around, trying hard to scare him, but after a while they'll just look at the camera, shrug, and fly away.

Insert Coin (Level 0) outofkeyslightly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haunting Starring Polterguy is another fun sandbox-ish game in a similar vein, but ultimately doomed by its annoying underground levels. You play as a ghost who's job it is to haunt anything and everything in the house to scare the family away. A real Beatlejuice game...

Back on track, I really like the music and sound effects in Pac-Man 2. Even on the Genesis, Pac-Man's voice in particular is just perfect. Rather than go with a few lame catchphrases, he gets a whole vocabulary of pac noises. Although mostly synth gibberish ala the sims, Pac-Man remains none the less more vocally emotive than say... Gex. Pac-Man 2 is also one of the first games I can think of that tinkers with mood as a dynamic, game changing variable. Mood. What's more human and personal than our mood? Are their any games that actually allow a dynamic mood for the character you're playing as? What if too much killing made Nikko actually insane? What if the death of a mage forced your knight to retire from the fight in grief? Wouldn't RPG's be more fun if you're party was tired and angry from the grind, only to snap at the inn keeper upon return? Am I wrong, dude?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We had this discussion five years ago, not complaining, but some interesting things were written at the time:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/arch...p/t-22632.html

Looking back at my (overlong) post...lol...skip it, save your time.