Thread: Best way to store games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

Default Best way to store games?

Hey. I have recently picked up alot of new games and I am wondering what the best way to store them is. I would like to know how to store everything. Controllers, game boxes, loose carts, accesories, and loose cds. I would like to keep everything as safe as possible and have easy access to them. Should I use shelves, bins, ect?

Also another question, what is your favorite method of fixing scratched cd's? I have not used any and I don't want to harm my games.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally like shelves in a dry area, bins always cause such chaos. (As cords become tangled and all that jazz) Plastic shoe organizers that can be hung from doors can fix this problem, and if you have some spare time crafting some quick wooden shelves to fit consoles and games make for good storage solutions. I have also used sliding totes (Ikea style) to store surplus games, controllers, and wires.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by modest9797 View Post
    Also another question, what is your favorite method of fixing scratched cd's? I have not used any and I don't want to harm my games.
    Plain tooth paste. Seriously - just rub some on, let it dry and buff it off. Don't use any of those fancy toothpastes with baking powder or shiny bits, just good old 49 cents per tube stuff.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best way is anyway at all that is best.

Basically the same way you store any computer or electronic equipment.

1. In the dark
    2. Out of sight
    3. Away from sun
    4. Not too much heat
    5. Not too much dampness.
    6. Not by a waterfall ( however if you feel it then )

Storage

1. In a shelf or book case of any sort
    2. In a plastic bin or any sotrage contianment.
    3. Out of sight in a closed off space
    5. Anywhere stacked, piled, even hunged or displayed

Games unlike other items will not get damaged so easily and the worst is Solar damage or leaving it in a humid area like behind the fridge. Anohter basic and cheap storage is in boxes like anything else and left alone.

If in a big pile then the middle of any room or dry spot is the best. The worst thing that could happen if you damage a game yourself. Many of my items I have damaged just by picking them up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Plain tooth paste. Seriously - just rub some on, let it dry and buff it off. Don't use any of those fancy toothpastes with baking powder or shiny bits, just good old 49 cents per tube stuff.
    That didn't work but my copy of kill.switch is pretty awful.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best way to remove scratches is no way at all. The best thing you can do is clean the disc normally the same way you have been doing it forever.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harkunan View Post
    The best way is anyway at all that is best.

Basically the same way you store any computer or electronic equipment.

1. In the dark
    2. Out of sight
    3. Away from sun
    4. Not too much heat
    5. Not too much dampness.
    6. Not by a waterfall ( however if you feel it then )

I definately agree with this, specially for the SNES systems,SNES and SFC games...Those UV rays and drastic temperature changes will turn them into yellow submarines
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That didn't work but my copy of kill.switch is pretty awful.
    If its really bad you might have to use one of those disc sanding systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best way to get out serious scratches is a resurfacer, $1 or so and it should remove any scratches that are not too deep.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Atari Age has various videogame-related storage tips. The website is down at the moment, but you can try searching the Internet Archive for them.
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Those plastic tubs they carry at Wal-Mart and Target are great for storing complete systems with wiring, controllers, peripherals, etc. For loose carts, I use shoe boxes from Red Wings shoe stores. I dropped by a couple of times and asked for extras and got several.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have literally discovered the perfect way to bring horribly dead scratched DVDs and music CDs back to use. Use Brasso. It's a very fine metal/plastic polishing compound. Dab some on a lint-free cloth and rub it onto the disc surface radiating out from the center to the edge of the disc. DO NOT RUB IN A CIRCULAR MOTION. Just buff from the center out. Center out. Over and over until you've gone around the surface 2-3 times. If there's a deep mar, just add a bit more buffing to the scratch. Allow the compound to dry. Then buff clean with another cloth, working from the outside to the edge again. Now this WILL pretty much haze up the disc as you're using an abrasive, but it's a very VERY fine abrasive. I have had this fail only once.

One word though - I have never tried it on a game disc, but I would think it would work. But for CDs/DVDs that would be otherwise worthless, this method honestly works great. If your only other option is to throw it away, it wouldn't hurt to try it. I swear by Brasso as a CD/DVD reviver.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

welll there is another way. stop buying CD games and ask your cartridges back. You are the consumer. You are the king. How many people walked on my Golden Eye cartridge without damaging it.

however, I say the best and most sturdy games are Genesis/Megadrive. Plastic case and Cartridge can last decades if not centuries.

PS: they say CDs only last 2 decades. after they become unreadable. It really pisses me off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    welll there is another way. stop buying CD games and ask your cartridges back. You are the consumer. You are the king. How many people walked on my Golden Eye cartridge without damaging it.

however, I say the best and most sturdy games are Genesis/Megadrive. Plastic case and Cartridge can last decades if not centuries.

PS: they say CDs only last 2 decades. after they become unreadable. It really pisses me off.
    That is completely untrue If a CD is treated properly (kept in the same conditions you would a cart) it'll last longer then you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    That is completely untrue If a CD is treated properly (kept in the same conditions you would a cart) it'll last longer then you.
    well I'm not entirely positive but that's what I heard in a TV program. but maybe they were wrong. anyways you can't escape the fact a CD gets scratches and when your lazy sister changes CDs and don't find it useful to put back the CD in its case, you get a short lifetime.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Plastic case and Cartridge can last decades if not centuries.
    True, but the lil' electronic bits INSIDE the case/cartridge doesn't have a functional shelf life of forever. I have more than a few Genny carts that have given up the ghost for no apparent reason.

CDs made during the early days of the process had a much shorter life than those made now - it's true. But CDs/DVDs/Game discs/etc. made today can last 75 years at a minimum - and that's a homemade crappily-burned one. Those mass produced by a reputable company can last 100+ years easily.

Or so I heard on a TV program.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    True, but the lil' electronic bits INSIDE the case/cartridge doesn't have a functional shelf life of forever. I have more than a few Genny carts that have given up the ghost for no apparent reason.

CDs made during the early days of the process had a much shorter life than those made now - it's true. But CDs/DVDs/Game discs/etc. made today can last 75 years at a minimum - and that's a homemade crappily-burned one. Those mass produced by a reputable company can last 100+ years easily.

Or so I heard on a TV program.
    Well CDs are very very old >< So the early days of the process might even be before they started putting games on CDs ;p Cept maybe some super oldschool dos games, even by the turbografx the process shoulda been refined enough.. ;p

I'm not 100% about carts, but if they're taken care of they should last a good long while (the fiddly electronic bits inside ;p)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well I'm not entirely positive but that's what I heard in a TV program. but maybe they were wrong. anyways you can't escape the fact a CD gets scratches and when your lazy sister changes CDs and don't find it useful to put back the CD in its case, you get a short lifetime.
    Well no one touches my games but me ;p and a few friends I trust.