Thread: Looking for dimensions

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Looking for dimensions

I am currently about 1,400 miles away from my systems right now and I want to buy a 12 outlet power strip for all of my classic gaming systems so it will be home when I get back. So, I was looking for a little bit of help. I was wondering if anyone else has purchased a 12 outlet power strip, and if they have what they could suggest. If thats not the case, I am looking for someone to help me out by measuring the AC adapter on NES, Sega Master, Genesis and SNES so I can figure out if 2.63" center to center of the plugs is going to cut it.

Right now Im looking at a Tripplite 36" 12 outlet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812120254

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Let me be the first to say that putting a whole lot of power supplies on a single strip is potentially dangerous, and will draw more power than it needs. Ever notice how power bricks are warm even when the system's been off for years? That's because they're resisting a bit of current...if everybody in the nation would pull out the power bricks they aren't using we could save a lot of power in the aggregate.

I personally would go for something that has a few plugs on both sides, facing downwards and upwards (like most consumer-available uninterruptible power supplies), and it also should have a fuse to protect against a lightning strike. Four plugs total is more than you'll likely need for any game console, six would let you run anything you could possibly need.

But anyhow, if you want to get a power strip, and want to put two large plugs on it SIDE BY SIDE (yeah, I didn't notice the racetrack configuration until too late, oops! it's a bad idea anyway), I'll assume you want to park two Genesis PSU-size bricks right next to each other...they're about (checking)...

Original NES brick / Genesis MK2103 (Genesis 2/Nomad): WIDTH Under 6 cm, or under 2 & 1/2 inches; a little bit wider than these dimensions at its thickest point but it shouldn't be a problem.

Car Marty (the biggest gaming-related power supply I see): WIDTH 7.5 centimeters wide or 3 inches
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 06-05-2008 at 04:16 PM.