Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Nwcge 2k8 Portland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the first day was a blast. I wasn't able to stick around for the movie, but I was at the show for pretty much the rest of the day. I had lots of fun playing games and participating in the contests and tournaments, and I had a nice haul (I posted a list in the August finds thread - here's the post if you want to check it out.

It was also great to meet with the DP'ers I've met before (y-bot, John aka swlovinist, Rick Weis, Qixmaster, and RecycledGamer), and new faces (such as Corey and jahvybe).

And evg2000, I spotted myself in a few of your pics. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 08-03-2008 at 04:02 AM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a weekend. Wonder_Hamster and myself did attend this, coming away with about 30-40 games a piece, and dropping about a hundred bucks each. All in all a wortwhile trip, but I wish there would have been more people doing serious gaming (whenever I looked over at the console tables, they were next to empty). A few props/slops:

-Video Game Wizards: This is the first table I saw, and Hamster and I both agree it was the worst. I didn't find anything reasonably priced aside from a $5 Mega Turrican cart, but I think more than anything else it was the fact that every time I asked about a price they went back to the computer to check amazon.com. Totally rubbed us the wrong way; it took forever to try and shop there, and I don't feel like amazon.com is an accurate price guide. Sloppy.

-Recycled Gamer: Awesome, awesome, AWESOME booth! I found many great games at great prices here (Aladdin boxed $3, NBA Hangtime $1, Balloon Kid $3), and they had every system set-up so you could try before you buy. They were also very easy to work with; I needed a model 2 genny AC adapter, and the guy broke up a system bundle to sell it to me. I feel like this booth 'gets' what the expo should be about: Tis better to sell a game at a reasonable price, than to forever keep it at the highest possible price.

-Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Slops to this, cuz it wasn't there, cuz it was replaced by lame-ass 3rd Strike. On two machines. Huge disappointment.

-Props to the guy holding the Driver tournament (corey, I believe). Great idea! Damn, that game was harder than I remember...

-To the guy who pronounced Konami with a hard 'ah' sound: big props. Never change!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dude View Post
    -Props to the guy holding the Driver tournament (corey, I believe). Great idea! Damn, that game was harder than I remember...
    I wish I knew about a glitch before I started. If you hit the cops a certain way you get on top of a building...oh well, I enjoyed seeing people get frustrated with a game I played when I was a kid.

The contest was: Survival with San Francisco on Driver for PS1. Reason I didn't pick Miami because if you hit a highway you could of drove for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Wow, I cant believe it is over so quickly. We had an amazing show, and there was definately some awsome points about our show and things that definately made it one of my most memorable. We are growing into a bigger show, and this year has some of the best deals I had ever seen. I will be posting some pics hopefully soon. Thanks to all who were involved. I would also like to think all the DP forum members for checking out the show and/or being involved with the show. It was great to see everyone. Now excuse me, I am going to find a nearby floor and collapse.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holding a contest right now.....who had the least amount hours slept? from Friday night to Sunday Morning....I slept only 7 hours for the 2 days or so.

I am amused for the people I met this year. I met some of them last year at the show though I was sicker then a dog and forgot a lot of them. Now I know faces to contacts on here as well. Though I didn't get to talk to the people that were behind me, I never left my booth often. Anyways we'll talk soon guys. Later

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dude View Post
    -Video Game Wizards: This is the first table I saw, and Hamster and I both agree it was the worst. I didn't find anything reasonably priced aside from a $5 Mega Turrican cart, but I think more than anything else it was the fact that every time I asked about a price they went back to the computer to check amazon.com. Totally rubbed us the wrong way; it took forever to try and shop there, and I don't feel like amazon.com is an accurate price guide. Sloppy.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. I'm not trying to criticize the sponsors, but looking up game prices on eBay strikes me as extremely tacky. It's the main reason I avoid their store, even though I live less than 5 minutes away from it. A shame, too, because they had so many hard to find games that I would have loved to buy if it weren't for the prices (and the long delays in trying to get someone to look them up).

As for the other vendors, I give a great big thumbs up all around! Everybody had tons of stuff worth buying, and I did more than my fair share of that (I actually had to leave and get more money to pay for my largest purchase ) I didn't stay around for the tournaments so I can't offer any opinions about them, but the show was very well done overall. Can't wait for next year!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got back from the NWCGE, had a great time, got to talk with some great people, got my butt kicked in the contests, and got some great deals. Here are some picks of what I picked up:

later,
    Charles
    [url]WWW.EVG2000.com[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't away from my booth often to check out the other vendors...miss the toby and chuck and everyone else on the other side of the wall...lol

My thing about the contests at the end. Really it shouldn't be at the end of the show either day. I was worn out Sunday evening. I really didn't care if I won anymore. Also Bond great game though my buddy lost to some guy because they chose characters first. I think either John or Rick should of hit the start button. Having choosing characters first then everyone would have a rush to pick Oddjob the shortest character in the game. Having him is an unfair advantage. My pick on the game.

Doing a tournement during the middle of day would have the most people involved as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

want to thank everyone who came to our show! it was the best turnout we ever had so far 130 people on saturday on 70 on sunday (not counting vendors both days)

it was great to see everyone again and all the new faces like Jose, Charles, Colby this year at our show.

want to thank all the people who gave me some sweet deals!
    picked up some very sweet items like
    weird ass atari 2600 clone $50
    1990 nintendo world championship hat $45
    PS2 boxed space invaders table top $50
    Resident evil 4 placemat $10
    SMB puzzle $15
    many N64 games boxed and loose, way too many to list!
    high score t-shirt free icon_smile.gif
    pac-man bed sheets 10$
    nintendo bed sheets 40$
    sega rally t-shirt 5$
    couple of Atari 2600 homebrews 25-45$

got to see a few WIP homebrew games that blew my mind!!

will try to post some pictures once i get things back to normal here. my gameroom is a mess right now.

hope to see you all back next year!

Rick

@Corey you beat me (8 hrs) :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coreys429 View Post
    My thing about the contests at the end. Really it shouldn't be at the end of the show either day. I was worn out Sunday evening. I really didn't care if I won anymore. Also Bond great game though my buddy lost to some guy because they chose characters first. I think either John or Rick should of hit the start button. Having choosing characters first then everyone would have a rush to pick Oddjob the shortest character in the game. Having him is an unfair advantage. My pick on the game.

Doing a tournement during the middle of day would have the most people involved as well.
    yeah, we will be talking about this at our next meeting.

Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I got about 8, maybe 9 hours tops combined. And this is from a guy who wasn't a vendor. I had been looking forward to this all year, so I was pretty excited.

Here's what I got on the second day of the show.

This was the best Portland show yet!
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 08-09-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Here are some more pics, I will post hopefully next week all that I scored. This year was EXTRA special to me, and I look forward to next year already! Anyone thinking about coming should check us out, we have something for about every gamer and collector. This show gets better every year.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Expo%202008/
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the retro Ign page, had the show on there. I didn't know an IGN member was doing an article web page whatever you call it. As well as there is a picture of Mykle on there too lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coreys429 View Post
    So the retro Ign page, had the show on there.
    Here's a link, and it includes a few photos:
    http://retro.ign.com/articles/896/896237p1.html

And here's the podcast: http://retro.ign.com/articles/896/896671p1.html

That photo of me with the Battletoads cart in swlovinist's photobucket looks more like I'm trying to give it a fist bump than punch it. I wanted to do something funny and the Battletoads cart was sticking out of my bag, so there you go.

EDIT: Here's an article that appeared in Willamette Week the week before the show:
    http://wweek.com/wwire/?p=12663
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 08-09-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    Here's a link, and it includes a few photos:
    http://retro.ign.com/articles/896/896237p1.html

And here's the podcast: http://retro.ign.com/articles/896/896671p1.html

That photo of me with the Battletoads cart in swlovinist's photobucket looks more like I'm trying to give it a fist bump than punch it. I wanted to do something funny and the Battletoads cart was sticking out of my bag, so there you go.

EDIT: Here's an article that appeared in Willamette Week the week before the show:
    http://wweek.com/wwire/?p=12663
    That IGN article is funny. He may have shown his poker face at the show but I guess he showed me his hand when I found his article on the internet. Hopefully he'll buy my ColorVision soon.

y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Well, I finally got my loot out to see what I scored. A TON. Seriously, this is one of my better scores for shows. Here is a link to the pic, and I will list as well most of it.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=DSCF3507.jpg

Cabbage Patch Kids for the 2600 NWCGE edition Boxed #2
    Twin Galaxies/Billy Mitchell Hotsauce and Poster both #12
    Signed Missle Command by Bill Carlton
    Boxed N64 Star Wars Racer Limited Edition complete-$30
    Super Scope Boxed--won in a contest
    Boxed Pump it up Sealed with game mat-$10
    2 Bags(30 carts) of INTV carts, some uncommon(Beamrider)$10
    1 Box of Trash 80 carts(25)-$10
    Venture Arcade Edition #2
    Boxed 5200 2 port-$20
    Wii Fit--Won in raffle by Deependgear(she does game console covers)
    FC multicart 150 in 1 cart-$5
    INTV Thunder Castle and Thin ice-$5 ea
    Boxed Sears Video Arcade Complete 6 switch-$10
    APF system with 6 games-$60
    Aquarius 4K memory and Data Recorder-$5
    5200 Quest -$5
    Odyssey 1 case-$50
    7800 games-Scrapyard Dog, Real Sports, Hat Trick-$6
    Omni Entertainment Center with some 8 track quiz carts-FREE
    Action Max Blue Thunder-FREE
    Channel F #7-$5
    Sega Dreamcast Games-MK Gold, Max Steel, 4 Wheel Thunder, Frogger 2, etc, $5 ea
    Game Gear Mega Man Cart-$10
    Gamecube silver complete-$10
    2600 games Threshold, Final Approach, Inflitrate, Gravitar, Mario Bros-$10 all
    Virtual Boy AC adaptor Box-FREE
    Arcade Marquees-Samurai Showdown II, Bust a Move, Jungle Hunt, Golden Axe Outrun...$1 ea

And for the AWSOME SCORES
    Victor Maxx Virtual Reality Stuntmaster(Genesis, SNES) Boxed Complete with Paperwork...$20

Sega Genesis/Game Gear Store Sign FREE
    World of Nintendo Store Sign-$20
    Last edited by swlovinist; 08-11-2008 at 07:31 PM.