Thread: Mother Flippin Mother Questions!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

Default Mother Flippin Mother Questions!?!

Okay, someone has to know somethin about these next few questions:

I've never touched an Earthbound. Earthbound is Mother, but there was only one Earthbound released in the US, right? Or was there an Earthbound 2 released in the US? I know that Mother 3 is apparently the one everyone goes bananas for, but I don't know if there's an actual translation patch for it or whatnot. So bottom line:

What would be considered my ideal version of Earthbound/Mothers 1 & 2 to play, and what can I do about playing Mother 3?
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtBomb View Post
    Okay, someone has to know somethin about these next few questions:

I've never touched an Earthbound. Earthbound is Mother, but there was only one Earthbound released in the US, right? Or was there an Earthbound 2 released in the US? I know that Mother 3 is apparently the one everyone goes bananas for, but I don't know if there's an actual translation patch for it or whatnot. So bottom line:

What would be considered my ideal version of Earthbound/Mothers 1 & 2 to play, and what can I do about playing Mother 3?
    Well, this is pretty easily answerable on Wikipedia, but I'll sum it up I guess.

The original game on the Famicom was called Mother.

The English version of that was renamed Earthbound, but never released. An officially translated ROM is on the internet, and is commonly (and unofficially) called "Earthbound Zero."

The follow-up on the Super Famicom was called Mother 2.

The English version of Mother 2 was renamed Earthbound and released (since that name had not officially been used, since the original did not come out).

Mother 3 is on the Game Boy Advance.

I don't really understand your question about "ideal versions," there is only one version of each game, unless you count the Japanese port of Mother 2 to the GBA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

There's a huge story behind Mother/Earthbound (Zero) for NES. It includes a finished US prototype that was never release, a guy named Demi and a fund raiser to basically rent the prototype so it could be dumped and released to the public.

As for the ideal version, it will vary from person to person. While Mother 1 and 2 share similarities, they are essentially two completely different games. It looks like Mother 3 will never be officially released here, so the only thing we can do is wait for the translation to be completed, which hopefully will be by the end of this year.

I would play all of them in order and decide for yourself which one you like the most.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is the low down on EBZ. Very interesting!

http://www.lostlevels.org/200407/200...rthbound.shtml

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There are substantial differences between Mother and "Earthbound Zero". as "Earthbound Zero" had a little more development while it was being localized. It was basically the basis for the version of the game in the Japanese-only Mother 1+2 release for GBA.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I'd always thought that EBZ and Earthbound had the same storyline, only EBZ was for NES. So you think EBZ is worth playing even though I've already beaten Earthbound?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    I'd always thought that EBZ and Earthbound had the same storyline, only EBZ was for NES. So you think EBZ is worth playing even though I've already beaten Earthbound?
    They both had similar story lines and characters, but they're still completely different games and aren't really connected with each other. Earthbound Zero's definitely worth playing if you're a fan of the SNES Earthbound and if you found Earthbound to be a little easy, you'll be glad to know that Earthbound Zero is a little more challenging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mar 626

oh and let's not for get about the earthbound prototype!
    Tifa, I'm not fit to help anyone, not my family, not my freinds, no one..... (Cloud)

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 99 View Post
    Umm...that is Earthbound Zero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by Nero 99 View Post
    Seriously dude, did you not read the thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mother 3 is nearly done on the translation. www.mother3.fobby.net
    right now there's a second draft to the games script being done, then a third and then some testing and some minor tweaking and then it'll be released by october. a patch will be released then (or earlier or later) and there will be one patch, not two or so like EB0 had. im glad nintendo isnt doing the translation because of their unnessary censoring they did with Earthbound. AND if they did translate Mother 3 i wouldnt buy it from them, because theyve pulleda blind eye toward the fans for so long about it just because of EB's "lack of sales".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rkotm View Post
    AND if they did translate Mother 3 i wouldnt buy it from them, because theyve pulleda blind eye toward the fans for so long about it just because of EB's "lack of sales".
    Reportedly, someone learned that in the internal Nintendo circles the sales of Magical Starsign were going to be used to guage the market for quirky RPGs and thus whether Mother 3 would be released in the US. (It seems they did not take into account that Magical Starsign is apparently not very good.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AND if they did translate Mother 3 i wouldnt buy it from them, because theyve pulleda blind eye toward the fans for so long about it just because of EB's "lack of sales".
    Yes, we must punish Nintendo if they take a chance on a franchise they fear won't sell well. We must let Nintendo know just how passionate we are by not buying Earthbound!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Reportedly, someone learned that in the internal Nintendo circles the sales of Magical Starsign were going to be used to guage the market for quirky RPGs and thus whether Mother 3 would be released in the US. (It seems they did not take into account that Magical Starsign is apparently not very good.)
    I bought it. The rest of you are Slackers. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Mother 3 is nearly done on the translation. www.mother3.fobby.net
    right now there's a second draft to the games script being done, then a third and then some testing and some minor tweaking and then it'll be released by october. a patch will be released then (or earlier or later) and there will be one patch, not two or so like EB0 had. im glad nintendo isnt doing the translation because of their unnessary censoring they did with Earthbound. AND if they did translate Mother 3 i wouldnt buy it from them, because theyve pulleda blind eye toward the fans for so long about it just because of EB's "lack of sales".
    Yes, we should definitely discourage Nintendo from releasing more games that we want to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its not like they'll ever release it, and they release just about everything thing else they make and their in house departments, so why not mother 3? jesus fuckin christ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ThoughtBomb

Thanks guys & gals. I'm equally tired of the US getting the short end of the stick when it comes to a lot of things gaming related (special releases, exclusives, sequels, prequels, accessories, collectibles). I personally feel that there is power in people, and if enough fans get together and voice themselves loud enough then someone has to pay attention. This is one of the only threads I've posted in which I've gotten so much feedback on, you guys should get together and contact Nintendo or something! Don't hurt to try...
    Oh no! The truck have started to move!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate Monk3y

Whoops... didn't read the whole second post.

I did however hear rumor that Nintendo is considering translating Mother 3 and releasing it as Earthbound 2 on the Wii Virtual Console due to the large spike in interest because of Nes and Lucas being in Brawl.
    Last edited by thepiratemonk3y; 06-11-2008 at 08:45 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Electric Blue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you guys should get together and contact Nintendo or something! Don't hurt to try...

www.starmen.net

People beat you to it, by about 10 years. Starmen.net has done alot to bring it to Nintendo's attention that people want Mother 3, including petitons, phone calls, petitions, etc. If it hasn't worked already, it isn't going to... unless mother 1+2+3 is gonna come out for the DS sometime in the future.
    Last edited by Electric Blue; 06-11-2008 at 10:10 PM.