Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the name of your childhood arcade?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In Hollywood, FL back in the mid '80s it was Bally's Aladdin's Castle in the Hollywood Fashion Center and Circus Playhouse right across the street from it. BAC used to have an offer on Sundays where from 10-1 you could pay $5 to get in, and all the games were set on free play.

Circus Playhouse had awesome Friday specials from 6-10 p.m. where you paid something like $10 and had a great pizza buffet and all the games on free play.

I miss that so much.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantSvgun View Post
    Namco had a place called "time out" that used to be filled with tons of fighting games. Now its gone.....
    Puerto Rico still has Time Outs in just about every mall. There are three with 10 miles of me actually. Lots of redemption games though.
    Last edited by Melf; 06-19-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Time Zone, in Lower Hutt. It was closed down a few years ago.

Well to be fair, it was relocated and substantially altered, to a competing cinema complex.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

The arcade I remember as a small child was called The Cave located in the West Wood Mall. This is circa 1991. Another one we often frequented was a family fun place called Celebration Station.

I miss arcades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Bullwinkle's Family Food & Fun
    Bullwinkle's for me too. Except not the Santa Clara one but the one in Montclair (socal). I wish I could see it again today as it was. Its still there and its still an amusement place called family fun center or something but it's just not the same.

Edit:

Tomorrowland Arcade in Disneyland! I almost forgot that one. It was located next to the Space Mountain exit and Star Tours exit. Two floors of gaming goodness with a huge scale X-Wing fighter hanging from the ceiling. They had tons of great games back in the early 90s or so. Still is an arcade but only the bottom floor and its all either racing games or music games.
    Last edited by zemmix; 06-20-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Golfland - Torn down, turned into a housing tract -- Garden Grove, CA
    Bullwinkle's - Changed names; to Boomers arcade/restaurant -- Fountain Valley, CA
    Camelot Golfland - Still there! Still a favorite (they have Mario Kart GP and F-Zero GX) -- Anaheim, CA
    Redondo Fun Factory - Still there, I think (Planet Harriers!!! Alien3: The Gun) -- Redondo Beach, CA
    Balboa Pavilion Arcade - Was closed last time, maybe still open on weekends? First and only time I played Space Harrier: actual arcade version some 15+ years ago) -- Newport Beach, CA
    Buffalo Nickel Arcade, Knott's Berry Farm - Still listed on the website, who knows, they closed the Dinosaur ride it was connected to...haven't been there in 4 years -- Buena Park, CA

edit: I seem to remember the Buena Park Mall having an arcade back before the mall became just a desolate, empty hallway connected to Wal*Mart. Seems to be happening to alot of malls around here these days..

Hey guys, you remember when almost every mall had an arcade? I miss those days.. I know only one mall in a 30 mile radius that has an arcade these days..
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 06-20-2008 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Buffalo Nickel Arcade, Knott's Berry Farm - Still listed on the website, who knows, they closed the Dinosaur ride it was connected to...haven't been there in 4 years -- Buena Park, CA
    I was just there the other month. The arcade is still there but it is sorely run down. All the machines in there looked like crap! I couldn't believe how bad it looked... I remember one of the stuffed animal claw machines in the front had a hole in the top of the cabinet and there was bird crap and stains from water leaks all over the animals inside. I couldn't believe they would let it sit there like that. I wanted to ride the dinosaur ride too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by zemmix View Post
    I was just there the other month. The arcade is still there but it is sorely run down. All the machines in there looked like crap! I couldn't believe how bad it looked... I remember one of the stuffed animal claw machines in the front had a hole in the top of the cabinet and there was bird crap and stains from water leaks all over the animals inside. I couldn't believe they would let it sit there like that. I wanted to ride the dinosaur ride too.
    That's a real shame! I don't mind if a game shows its wear, but it should be fully functional, with a bright screen, no phosphor burn-in, discoloration (or graffiti.. Seems there's little or no passion for arcade upkeep.) Well, I'd imagine the budget for upkeep is really limited. And ewww on the claw-machine thing...just eww

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

In Voorhees, NJ in the Echelon Mall there used to be a kick-ass arcade called Exhilarama and it even had a roller coaster inside of it! Also there is Recess in the Deptford Mall in Deptford, NJ; I believe it had a different name before Recess but it has been Recess for a while and I forget the previous name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    "Giggles" at the washington mall in washington, PA

played alot of my favorite games there and even had my birthday party there once. my reletive owned the pizzia shop right across from it as well so it was always nice to stop by and grab a slice of pizzia after some arcade gaming
    Holy shite, Pizza Boy was the best. My wife misses the hell out of their white pizza. Since they closed, she says nothing is as good. Aside from Giggles we also had a tilt in the South Hills Village Mall for a while but it closed up and became a Philip Palusi.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Land of Oz at the North East Mall in North Richland Hills, TX (between Dallas and Fort Worth).

It later became Aladdin's Castle.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and this is what I would frequent listed by frequency of useage.

1. ) Malibu Grand Prix - Redwood City.

This one was really cool back in the early 90's. It was actually two arcades. One was the castleand it had the Mini golf course, the batting cages, the redemption ticket games, the crappy food area with the big screen that had burnt out colors and the most recent arcade machnes. This is where they would have rows of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter.

Then there was the other arcade which was a few yards out from the castle and that's where the mini cars were at and the two tracks for it. The arcade in that one is wherethey would keep the older version of games and just the older games in general. Mostly the stand up games as well.

I was there pretyt much every weekend because my dad would pick me up and drop me off there while he spent the day (and all of his money / child support for my mom) at Bay Meadows, the horse racing track. Which is actually my #2 arcade

2.) Bay Meadows Race Track: San Mateo

This was about 10 miles away from Malibu Grand Prix and it had a pretty decent arcade at that time. I remember that was the first place I played Darkstalkers. I remember at first that game didn't get too much play but after about a week it was juas as popular as MK2 at that time. The cool thing about that place was that tere were a lot of regulars there and you would know who's good and if someone beat that guy that was good people would know. eventhough I hated that place, the arcade was great.

3.) Q-Zar: Redwood City

My dad actually lived about 2 blacks away from there at one point but he would never let me go there alone ( I was about 10 at that time) because that place was pretty ghetto. I really went there for the lazer tag though. The arcade was ok, that was the first place I played Virtua FIghter 2 and the D&D arcade game, but again, I went there for the lazer tag.

4.) Classic Bowl: Daly City

Eventhough that was the closet to where I lived I didn't go there as much. The arcade was pretty small and they would only have one machine of whatever popular game but if I ended up there it was usually because I was bowling. What was better than that was that right accross the parking lot there was an italian restruant that had a few machines in it and when Classic got a bit too crowded,lal you had to do was take a few steps accross the parking lot to the restraunt. You just had to provided your own change because they didn't sell too much food there.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Let's see...growing up in Austin, I frequented:

Showbiz Pizza - Before it became Chuck E Cheese, it was Showbiz and they had an awesome selection of videogames, which out numbered the ticket games at the time (mid 80's). Some of the games I remembered playing there: Space Ace, Dragon's Lair, Gauntlet, and a whole bunch of the classics from the time.

Aladdin's Castle
    - Located in Barton Creek Mall. HUGE arcade, great selection. I was in junior high at the time and had to rely on rides from my parents (rare) or other forms of public transportation to get there with my friends. Worth the trip though.

Games Galaxy - This is where I saw Street Fighter (the first one) for the first time. I was amazed at the sheer amount of buttons it had. Other stand outs from this arcade: Rastan and Alien Syndrome. This place shut down soon after my friends and I discovered it as it was located right across the street from my soon to be high school and they had a problem with truancy.

Laser Zone - This arcade was located in Westgate Mall, near my neighborhood. I went there with my friends in the early to mid 90's before they eventually closed down along with the rest of the mall. The mall was eventually torn down to make way for a new shopping center.

Einstein's - Located on "The Drag" and across the street from the UT campus. A great arcade that my buddies and I would frequent. They always got in the newest games, especially fighting games. And less than a block down the street was:

Le Fun's - Now closed, Le Fun's had a better variety of games (some older ones, pinball games, big sitdown cabinets and such). , this arcade was located right next door to a big Church of Scientolgy HQ.

Powerplay - Located in Dobie Mall, still on the Drag. This was a smaller arcade and usually had a good selection of SNK and Capcom games.

Westgate Lanes - My neighborhood's local bowling alley had a great arcade! They were one of the first places to get Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition. They frequently changed out their games, so my friends and I were able to see and play some great stuff! Great bowling, really good snack bar (big cheap cheeseburger and fries combo). Good memories!

Finally, my friends and I stayed up to date on various pizza joints (Conan's and I Love Video Pizza), grocery stores and convenience stores that had games and would make regular trips to them. Yeah, I was an arcade junkie.
    Last edited by Damaramu; 06-20-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

Born in the mid 50s, I grew up in the 60s and very early 70s. At the beginning there was only a pinball machine here and there, at a gas station or a small mom and pop burger stand. I remember during early high school years one arcade began at the local mall. It changed names over the years until it finally closed. I can't remember any of the names, but somehow Hillbilly arcade comes to mind. The local Dairy Queen had a large room that was a full blown arcade for years until, it closed a few years ago. That was the last arcade in my area.

I now have to drive out of town to an arcade. That one is in a mall with the name of Game Station. A Chuckie Cheese opened up in that town too, last year, but I have not gone to see what they have yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

My main arcade hang was "The Dream Machine" in the now defunct Lincoln Mall in RI. *sigh*

Another GREAT one was "D.G.'s Arcade" in Warwick RI. Lots of fights but an AWSOME collection of games. It was a bit of a ride for us but it was worth it.

We had an Alladins Castle in Rhode Island Mall. But thats closed,
    We still have a Tilt in Warwick Mall though. Its decent I guess.
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Insert Coin (Level 0) Nightwing's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NIGHTW1NG
    PSN
    Nightwing007

Quote Originally Posted by Xian042 View Post
    My main arcade hang was "The Dream Machine" in the now defunct Lincoln Mall in RI. *sigh*

Another GREAT one was "D.G.'s Arcade" in Warwick RI. Lots of fights but an AWSOME collection of games. It was a bit of a ride for us but it was worth it.

We had an Alladins Castle in Rhode Island Mall. But thats closed,
    We still have a Tilt in Warwick Mall though. Its decent I guess.
    Cool,another Rhode Islander!

I remember those places well.DG's especially! Too bad its long gone now...

Downtown Providence also had a place for a couple of years called "Saturn's Rings". It was a decent place until the punks started hanging out there - and being right next to the state senior citizens' advocate office helped close it down.

My hangout,though was "Beck's Arcade" in the now defunct Wampanoag Mall (though it's now a strip plaza). Decent selection of games - and the guy who owned the place still sells arcade games locally.

Insert Coin (Level 0) AllSchoolGamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    poida80

As a kid my local arcade was called Red Rocket...which I've just realised is hilarious ...why would you name an arcade after (as triumph the insult comic dog might put it) a dogs pink thing? hehe

"Gamer for life..or until my hands fall off."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Game Town (Pine Brook, NJ) - An old church, now an Italian restaurant called Milan, across from a cemetary.

Fun & Games (Wayne, NJ) - In the Willowbrook Mall, Just recently closed.

The Purple Room (Rockaway, NJ) - Rockaway Mall, Long closed. There was another arcade in this mall that closed very recently.

(I Forget the Name) (Cedar Knolls, NJ) - This was in the Morris County Mall. Please, someone tell me the name, it is really bugging me!! Small room always smelling of pipe smoked by the manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The arcade I spent the most time at as a kid didn't have a name, AFAIK.
    It was near the beach in Port Dover, Ontario.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

In Pennsylvania I went to the Robin Hill Arcade. It is part of a camp site we go to every year. No popular games, jusk skiball.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alladin's Castle in the mall but we also had a Showbiz Pizza that had a large selection of games that you couldn't play elsewhere like Bosconian, Qix, Mr. Do!, and Space Ace.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.