Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best Versions of Early Final Fantasy Games?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, what about FFIV? I assumed all of the FF Advance games had the same quality, but now I'm reading that FFIV Advance has glitches not present in FFV and VI Advance. Should I play a Wonderswan translation, Advance, PSX, or SNES II?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FF3 (6) on the SNES is the best version/release of it though the GBA one is basically the same and if you have the Gamecube gameboy player, it works out nicely on a larger screen.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RE: FF6 Adv. - I'd read somewhere that they removed the fast moving fish from the Cid/Celes scene, but I never made it that far into the game (I've played this game on the SNES six times and once on the PSX, so just kinda didn't feel like it) so I can't confirm. Nor can I now find where I read that.

RE: FF2 & 3 - I enjoyed both of them, tho I also found them both kind of bland. I played the GBA & DS versions (respectively).

RE: FFIV GBA - The translation certainly seemed improved, but I didn't get all that far into the game. It was never my favorite FF title.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Okay, what about FFIV? I assumed all of the FF Advance games had the same quality, but now I'm reading that FFIV Advance has glitches not present in FFV and VI Advance. Should I play a Wonderswan translation, Advance, PSX, or SNES II?
    Don't forget that as far as SNES goes, you also get to choose between the US release, the fan-translated Japanese release, and the fan-translated version of FFIV Easy Type - all of which are in fact subtly different!
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    RE: FF6 Adv. - I'd read somewhere that they removed the fast moving fish from the Cid/Celes scene, but I never made it that far into the game (I've played this game on the SNES six times and once on the PSX, so just kinda didn't feel like it) so I can't confirm. Nor can I now find where I read that.

RE: FF2 & 3 - I enjoyed both of them, tho I also found them both kind of bland. I played the GBA & DS versions (respectively).

RE: FFIV GBA - The translation certainly seemed improved, but I didn't get all that far into the game. It was never my favorite FF title.
    Nope, the fishy scene is still there.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

From what I understand, the only thing cut out of the GBA FF6 is the scene where Celes get beaten up, other than that the game is fully intact.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Where to get the airship.

By the way, did the NES Final Fantasy have the World Map, or is that another Dawn of Souls addition?
    As to where to go next, go to the Ryukahn Desert which south of the same town you got the canoe at. In the Dawn of Souls version I think the floater activates as soon as you walk into the desert. On the NES version you have to go to your items and use it.

"tceles B hsup A magic spell?" The brooms will tell you this on the NES game. Someone else will tell you brooms talk backwards.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    As to where to go next, go to the Ryukahn Desert which south of the same town you got the canoe at. In the Dawn of Souls version I think the floater activates as soon as you walk into the desert. On the NES version you have to go to your items and use it.
    That would be even more hopelessly obscure, as I hadn't encountered anyone who told me what a "floater" was. But I guess I'll figure it out; I'm just bitter about the game's obtuseness.

"tceles B hsup A magic spell?" The brooms will tell you this on the NES game. Someone else will tell you brooms talk backwards.
    Aye, they say the same thing in Dawn of Souls, more or less.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by HappehLemons View Post
    Nope, the fishy scene is still there.

yup you can save cid just like in the snes version (although for some reason it took me much longer to keep him alive then it did on the snes, mighta been just bad luck)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned saved games as a factor. That was the absolute deciding point for me, and the reason I never finished FF1 on NES. When you have to either find an inn or have a tent handy to save, the game feels brutal.

I played them in a funny order... (1, 6, 7, 4, 5, 8...) so it's hard for me to say which editions I prefer. FF1 on NES and PS1 are largely the same, save for graphics and audio. GBA really hit the sweet spot to make FF1 and 2 accessible and enjoyable, but the PSP remakes are about the same. Difficulty on PSP seemed a lot lower, and I finished FF1 at like lv50 without trouble, while it was a long battle at lv96 on GBA, if I remember correctly. I haven't played the DS FF3 yet, though I've had it since release. I'm a bit more inclined to play 3 on NES, however, because the mechanics were more accessible by then. FF4, I never really liked much, believe it or not. I played the SNES version emulated, and it was average for me, but the GBA version was kinda low. There's terrible pausing during battles and the script felt dull, as if I weren't indifferent enough already. I can't speak for FF4DS because I honestly don't have enough interest to play it right now. FF5 GBA adds the character portraits, but I think it's a coin toss there. FF6, I've been wanting to get on GBA, only because I'm not looking to spend $70 on a CIB SNES one.

The breakdown:
    FF1 - GBA
    FF2 - GBA/PSP
    FF3 - NES
    FF4 - SNES
    FF5 - SNES/GBA
    FF6 - SNES
    FF7 - PC
    FF8 - PSX

I personally dislike FF1-6 on PSX, because they barely get anything right. Sound quality is nothing to write home about, load times are awful for games that don't need them, and the extras are minimal.

Chrono Trigger DS got it right, and I'd love to see FF1-6 get the same treatment. Use the original graphics, keep the sound accurate to the original, and make it portable. If you're doing a remake, make it different. If you're doing an enhanced port, make it correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dawn of Souls was a double-edged sword. The mana system made the game vastly more playable. It made magic users more than just an EXP sponge. In the original editions, almost all spells were useless and even the ones that were worth the gil were gimped due to the casting limits. However, the mana system also made the game virtually play itself. There is zero challenge. If you just want to play through the game as fast as possible and experience the best and most complete translation of the storyline, Dawn of Souls is for you. If you want some challenge and prefer to have a bug-fixed version, then Final Fantasy Origins for the PS1 is the way to go. I can't imagine slogging through the NES version with all the buggy, broken spells and effects.

What happened with Final Fantasy IV is a shame. It is, by far, one of the best Final Fantasy games. I wouldn't bother with the SNES edition, since it has lowered challenge and much edited text. The GBA version is actually really well done in regards to translation and challenge. However, it has large programming bugs and slowdown. Final Fantasy Chronicles for the PS1 is the way to go here. It has virtually zero loading time and no major bugs that I am aware of.

TOSE (developer of every Final Fantasy GBA port) got their act together with Final Fantasy V and VI. There are no game-breaking bugs and they actually fixed a huge bug in VI which has never been fixed in any other edition. Final Fantasy Anthology for PS1 maintains all the bugs in V and VI, while adding loading times and occasionally wonky music.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually had a lot of fun playing w/ the bugs in FFIII US (ie the SNES version of 6). Seeming them gone is a bit sad.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    I haven't played Final Fantasy 1 in years but I'm pretty sure that he's right about pressing SELECT to bring up the map. The Levistone is the Floater in the Ice Cave? You're right, you have to take it somewhere you probably haven't been with the Canoe yet.
    WTF!? You get the Airship by wandering for no particular reason into a desert that's completely indistinguishable from every other desert on the map, complete with the lack of marking!? How could people ever stand this game?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The US NES release included a map with numbered points of interest. After the first continent or so, there were no descriptions, only blanks for you to fill in when you figured them out. I don't think that's too terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    words
    Very informative, thank you. I guess I don't regret my FF4 decision so much now, even though the DS version really was quite underwhelming; if 4 Advance wasn't as good as 5 and 6 then eh...5 is already my favorite so it's hard to impress me.
    NES, SFC, SNES, NDS, PS2, GCN, PC, PS2
    and hopefully more acronyms to come

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

What I did when beating FF1-3 on NES was I used the emulator FCEUltra and turned up the speed to 2x so it wasn't slow anymore. The music in FF3 sounded cooler this way too. Plus then you could save anywhere just like in the GBA games.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Personally:

FF1: GBA
    FF2: GBA
    FF3: NES
    FF4: Kinda hard to decide. SNES is classic, GBA is pretty much the same with extras, but the music and graphics suffer a bit. The DS adds a lot and is harder, but kinda isn't the same.
    FF5: GBA
    FF6: SNES (The gba adds more, but the Woolsey translation is better IMO)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't have the map when me and a friend beat this game when we were kids. I remember wandering around for hours trying to figure out what to do with the Floater. I probably wouldn't have the patience to play this game today if it was released the way it played on the NES.

Any recs for what version of FF5 and 6 to buy? These two are my favorites in the series. I only played the PSX versions and I didn't care for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    WTF!? You get the Airship by wandering for no particular reason into a desert that's completely indistinguishable from every other desert on the map, complete with the lack of marking!? How could people ever stand this game?
    The first Final Fantasy game definitely required wandering around. Even Dawn of Souls doesn't give you enough direction to know exactly where you are supposed to go. Once you have the pirate ship, and talk to the broom ("TCELES B HSUP") to learn how to access the world map, you are meant to figure things out for yourself. It is a huge difference from the FF games even going back to FF4. This and Dragon Warrior were the first games of their type, and it shows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kuros View Post
    FF4: Kinda hard to decide. SNES is classic, GBA is pretty much the same with extras, but the music and graphics suffer a bit. The DS adds a lot and is harder, but kinda isn't the same.
    The PS1 version on Final Fantasy Chronicles is the definitive version, if you want the original graphics instead of the DS version. It fixes the SNES bugs and translation, and despite being a disc game, there are literally zero loading times. I don't know how they managed to eliminate load times on this game and not on the others, but it is very welcome, especially if you try to play the other game in the package, Chrono Trigger (which has the worst load times of any PS1 rerelease).