Thread: Super Famicom database I'm making

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Famicom database I'm making

So with the unfortunate lack of information available from an American side of Super Famicom, I've decided to undergo the righteous task of compiling a database of every single SFC game released. Daunting? Perhaps. But I thought I'd post the general layout here so if there's any suggestions of more information that should go into it, I could start now before it's too late.

Basically, it'll be the English equivalent of this site:
    http://homepage2.nifty.com/gamedatab...1990-1991.html
    BUT, I'll also be adding links to box art scans, cart scans, and a link to a Youtube video of each game that I'll make.
    Here's a link to a video I just made showing the different aspects of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XXra5X-CtU

So essentially the data so far consists of date released, title, developer, genre, SHVC #, Price, and a column of special info, like a Japanese flag will be used whenever a game was released only in Japan.
    For the title of each game I will have it like so:

ポピュラス
    Populous

The Japanese name on top, the translated name under it, and then if the name was changed in America there will be another line with an American flag accompying the new name.
    So yes, there's obviously a lot of work left to be done. I started the project today, completed all of 1990, and the SFC's last games came out in 2000 (albeit not very many then). So if there's any comments or suggestions of anything else that should be added, please let me know. I want this to be as thorough and as useful as possible. Thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

First, I'd like simply to say your insane. I mean that from the bottem of my heart. Not an insult, just your crazy.

Now onto a more real post. From what I can see of the youtube video, you're getting as much info on every game. The art for the games (box, manual, inserts, cart) shouldnt be completly imposible though that could prove to be years of work. I'd recomend some kind of watermark system if your scans are to be high quality. Videos, even just 10 seconds for each will take up a huge amount of space on any site. We're talking over 1400 games. I'd recomend screen shots as an alternative. Sure, they dont show the great gameplay in action but they take up alot less space. Some of the games will also be extremly difficult to find. As it's SFC, you could even gather your screenshot material thru emulation.

There are plenty of resources available and I believe there is even another thread concerning the cataloging of the SFC in the very forum as well. Perhaps you should try contacting them and offer to trade info? You may be able to help them add to theirs and the same for yours.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha yeah, it'll be quite the beast to handle. I've finished all of 1991 today, minus the video aspect.
    I'm hoping ClassicGaming.com will host the page, but I can't really find out until I'm done because they want a finished page to look at. So now I'm on the hunt for a free host that'll let me upload through FTP, which I'm not having any luck with so far..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This site:

http://www.vgden.com/

Actually is a pretty good resource for Super Famicom.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi HowardCneal,
    This is actually a nice coincidence that you posted this. I also posted a similar thread about a month ago about a list I'm working on. Here's a prototype (move the mouse over a game's title to see the box art) :

http://www.vgden.com/article.htm?list?_sfc_jp

It is indeed a lot of work (there's supposed to be 1445+ games available). It took me a couple of years to finally collect all the material I needed to start the list (box art etc...). You project is awesome, especially the video side of it - I hope you'll be able to create short videos for all the games, that sounds like a huge task but totally worth the effort

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I love the layout on the individual games at VGDen, makes mine look kinda crappy now, haha. Do you scan those box and game cartridges yourself?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, I'm glad you like it
    I did the scans for all the games reviewed on the site (and I have a lot more in stock) - I have 400dpi scans of most of my games (including docs, back of box etc...). However about the list itself, around 350 come from my own collection and the rest are collected from various auction sites. I hope to get the list ready for my next site update - but I've got a lot of other things going on, so it may not happen before the end of the summer...

I really like you project, especially if you can collect nice box scans (as the one you show on your video) and in-play videos. That'd be a great database !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The world doesn't need any more "every SFC game released" databases with the advent of GoodSNES and other releases.

If you can add other verified information about the releases, maybe it'll be useful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well you cannot compare the GoodSNES Database with a Database for Collectors.

GoodSNES might list 2 revisions of the Rom, while the cart or the Packaging is the same, so it's nearly impossible to find out which version you got and most people will just get one copy.
    Then there might be different versions of the Game which feature the same rom. Like a Limited Edition or something. GoodSNES will only have one entry for that while a DB for collectors should have 2 entries then.