Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which last gen titles WILL be rare??

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Test run they send out to stores while awaiting wether or not it would go into full production until they got the word to recall all copies ?
    Wish I had one.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    A single production line in a game packaging plant can produce 100,000 units per day. They would have made 6,000 units in minutes.

The 6,000 figure is rubbish. Just look at how many people on DP have a copy.
    Maybe. But then where did the story come from and why the perceived difficulty to find the game? Obviously if there were 100,000 copies out there you'd see them all over Gamestop considering it's an old sports title. It's certainly harder to find if you compare it to similar titles like NFL 2k3 on the cube or the PS2/Xbox versions of NCAA.

It's also entirely possible that at the moment only people who'd hang out at a place like DP would be actively looking for a copy so each one that shows up "in the wild" gets picked up by somebody here or in a similar community. After all, a copy of NCAA could sit on the shelf for a year at a Gamestop before anyone picks it up. Who'd really care about the game? But after doing a quick Gamestop search, it seems there's only 1 copy in a 50 mile radius. Maybe that doesn't mean there are only 6,000 but compared to what Sega must have printed of NFL 2k3 it's definitely fewer.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-25-2008 at 06:52 PM.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

The Guy Game comes to mind, as does first-run Kakuto Chojin (whatever it is).

Volvo Drive for Life was indeed a giveaway for test-driving a Volvo IIRC. I still have my sealed copy sitting on my shelf just incase the price skyrockets.

As for SB, makes me glad I bought a CIB one for $25, although no controller manual.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    as does first-run Kakuto Chojin (whatever it is).
    Once and for all, can someone confirm whether or not Kakuto Chojin had a second printing? I see it written everywhere that the "offensive material" was removed and the game was reissued after the recall but every single person who has the game (including me) says that the chanting is still there. What gives? Either they never released the game a second time or they did in such small quantities that the second printing would be the rarer version.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-25-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fatal Frame series, Silent Hill games, such will probably always hold a good value and be difficult to find. As for the Xbox I'd venture to say Roller Coaster Tycoon (which I hope they backwards compat. with the 360 so I can play it).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The thing is, there's always going to be a game that nobody has ever heard of that will some day turn out to be "omg rare!" I was just browsing Gamestop's website and has anyone ever heard of Ruff Trigger: The Vanocore Conspiracy on the PS2? Not saying it's rare just that I've never heard of it and I'm certain that 5 or 6 years from now, when the dust settles, we're going to be hearing about games that we never knew existed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lots of games that came in some sort of outer paper box will probably be hard to find in great condition as even sealed ones can easily get banged out of shape.

For example:
    Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu (w. action figure)
    Pro Stroke Golf (didn't it come with a putter or something)
    Robotech Battlecry LE (w. T-shirt etc. - I have never seen one since release)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu (w. action figure)
    I know there is different action figures that where made for the game.
    They are Batman, Batgirl, Robin, and Nightwing. I've seen pictures of the Batman and Batgirl versions. I own the Robin version and I've seen sellers say there figure was the Nightwing version. If you check ign about this game, supposedly only 15,000 copy's of the Batman and Batgirl versions where made. I've never been able to find any info on the Robin, and Nightwing versions. Can't even find a sentence that they got released. If anybody knows more about these, i would love to hear it.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Futurama on PS2/XBOX

I know it's a bit more common on the XBOX, but both have recently seen a bump in value - likely due to the series tenacity in re-runs (it was on it's way off-the-air when the games were released) and recent direct to DVD movies.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As someone who actually bought NCAA 2K3 to play back when it came out, I can vouch for the fact that at the time of release, it was impossible to find, and the low print run number doesn't seem out of touch. I remember a GS employee at the time saying they only printed enough copies to essentially satisfy pre-orders, in which case the low print run makes total sense as I can't see more than 6,000 people pre-ordering. One time I wish I had pre-ordered, though I did end up getting it from eBay.

For the record, it's probably the best basketball sim on the Gamecube too.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Futurama on PS2/XBOX

I know it's a bit more common on the XBOX, but both have recently seen a bump in value - likely due to the series tenacity in re-runs (it was on it's way off-the-air when the games were released) and recent direct to DVD movies.
    Might go down in value since all the game cut scenes are turned into a "Lost Episode" on the "Beast with a Billion Backs" DVD.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    Might go down in value since all the game cut scenes are turned into a "Lost Episode" on the "Beast with a Billion Backs" DVD.
    Maybe.

The game itself is actually a decent platformer from that era, and the involvement of the show's creators is evident the whole way through.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, the game is a mediocre platformer that happens to have input from the show's creators. Some questionable hit detection and an unhelpful camera suck a lot of fun away.

And this is from someone who adores everything "Futurama".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    No, the game is a mediocre platformer that happens to have input from the show's creators. Some questionable hit detection and an unhelpful camera suck a lot of fun away.

And this is from someone who adores everything "Futurama".
    *sigh* You know, to some "medicore" and "decent" are all but the same.

BUT I'm really not going to mince words.

I personally enjoyed it on XBOX (I can't think of a single other platformer on that console that I played through) despite any of it's technical shortcomings, and that's all I can say about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might be because I played all three "TY: The Tasmanian Tiger" games before I ever played "Futurama". TY had tighter control and a much better camera.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoyed it too for the ps2.

Anybody know anything about what i posted up there, perhaps with some more info...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I think the whole key to RPGs having value at least in past generations has been that when you play an RPG, it literally sucks up 30-40 hours or more of your life. Other than a few on-line shooters, I don't know that I've ever spent that much time devoted to one particular game ever. It's that deep emotional connection that results in sealed Final Fantasy VIIs going for several times more than MSRP. I doubt that crappy RPGs or related games will maintain their value, particularly since lots of people buy every new Atlus game and keep it sealed in anticipation of it going up in value. It's like what happened with baseball cards and comics to some extent. The older stuff will maintain or even grow in value, but the newer stuff will probably be a lot less valuable, particularly if the underlying game was not so good.
    I think your right the time invested in an RPG makes people emotionally attached to them so they don't want to sell it. Plus I think RPG's with good stories are as good today as they were 10 years ago and I assume they will still be good in 10 more years. You can't say the same thing for other genre's like FPS or Sports for example.

I agree that lots of games people buy because they think it will be rare probably won't be because other people are buying it. But there are tons of games that people just don't hear about and don't hit the mainstream, that are still good games and I think those are the ones that will be expensive.
    Owner of PriceCharting.com and JJGames.com.
    Video Game Price guides for every game for every system from NES to Xbox 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

Quote Originally Posted by calgon View Post
    Really anything by Atlus. I'd also say gitaroo man, pyschonauts, and some of the psp games that were recently ported to ps2.
    Gitaroo-man has already had a few re-prints, so I'm not sure if its still considered rare.
    -DJ

My EPIC "For Sale" Thread: CLICKY

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My best guess of a relatively hard to get and in demand game (=pricey) would be the special edition of dot hack//GU//Rebirth (PS2) with the figurine in the special packaging.

The special packaging was an exclusive of GS/EB Games, and for a niche game like this that is also a RPG it might be that the cardboard box got a production number of around 10 000.

ebay offerings go for around $100 to $150, and there are fewer and fewer ebay sales in the last two years.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    My best guess of a relatively hard to get and in demand game (=pricey) would be the special edition of dot hack//GU//Rebirth (PS2) with the figurine in the special packaging.

The special packaging was an exclusive of GS/EB Games, and for a niche game like this that is also a RPG it might be that the cardboard box got a production number of around 10 000.

ebay offerings go for around $100 to $150, and there are fewer and fewer ebay sales in the last two years.
    I saw one of those at a Gamestop store today that had been "gutted" even worse than Gamestop usually does. The figure and game had been removed, and the plastic window where the figure would go had been punched out leaving a huge unsightly hole.

So much for a collector's item. Scratch that production number off the list!
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.