Thread: DS 2 speculation thread

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DS 2 speculation thread

If history is any indicator it's coming up on time for a new handheld from Nintendo. Not just a revision of the DS, but a successor to the line. So, let's hear it. What do you think the DS2 will look like, feature, etc, etc.?

My take.

It won't be the DS 2 at all. Nintendo seems to have shied away from the traditional method of naming systems when they broke with the Game Boy name. Also, it won't have two screens. *gasp* That's right. One screen. I think they will go a route similar to the ipod. One screen which can be 'split' when needed for dual screen games. Normal game play will be with the unit held horizontally. For backwards compatibility, and new games which may want to use a dual screen approach, the unit will be held vertically. The analog D-pad may be positioned off center to aid in vertical, legacy play.

Beyond that, gorgeous screen, wifi built in(natch), blu-tooth, basic PDA functions, and dual cart slots(for DS and new, non-standard media).

A big maybe will be an online store, similar to the one for the Wii. Game available will be portable classics from Game Boy, Game Gear, Lynx, etc.

*edit* a thread at toomanygames inspired this one. Check it out if interested.
    Last edited by neuropolitique; 06-23-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A pair of glasses I can wear that shields UV rays and have a transparent screen that makes the world around me a virtual video game world.

They can make the sensor for body control in the form of underwear and call it Wiideroos as it will be compatible with both the Wii and DS2 of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

The only speculation I have is that we won't even hear any rumors about a new DS for at least another year. Nintendo's not gonna fix what ain't broken.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo starts working on the next platform immediately after they launch the newest one correct? Well, since the DS was a risk were they working on two succesors? One to follow fast if it failed and another to follow later otherwise? What happens to the other design? Will they merge? Do both get discarded in favor of a third later design? Will I ever quit posing these half-rhetoricals? Who knows?

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I hope they don't come out with something new for a long time. I still really enjoy my DS and have tons of great games yet to play.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I say it's HEAVILY inspired by the iPod Touch.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    I say it's HEAVILY inspired by the iPod Touch.
    That and games can be downloaded via Nintendo server, including gba, DS and gameboy games.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Higher resolution, PLEASE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

The original Game Boy lasted for 9 years before the GBC came along. The DS has a lot of life left in it yet to make it far too early for a thread like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Completely agreed. "If history is any indication..." XD

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

I don't think they need a new DS for competitive reasons. They only angle in which the PSP has, or will have an advantage is with its abiity to work cooperatively with the PS3...

i think Nintendo will want similar interactivity and will wait for the Wii's successor, rumored for 2010 along with the next Xbox. Again unlikely they will release a new console and handheld in the same year because of overhead associated with hardware so perhaps 2009 or 2011...tough call...

I think the DS has about reached its limits and there is little more programmers can squeeze out of it.

I don't see them abandoning the touchscreen but perhaps one larger, better touch screen rather than two screens; that might prevent DS backwards compatibility. I imagine GBA compatibility will be gone completely in the next generation...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The DS and the Wii can interact already, so I'm not sure what you mean. And I don't think the original poster's suggestions will come true. Doesn't sound like a good direction for the DS successor's design to go in to me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GBC - 1998
    GBA - 2001
    DS - 2004

I'd say that's enough history. I'd put money on official word coming next year.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You forgot one. GB 1989 - went almost 10 years. GBC was pretty much a GB with a color screen so you could actually say 12 years up to the GBA. DS could pull of 6 years without a replacement rather easily. Possibly longer. I'm sure there will be some scuttlebutt from Nintendo within a year though. At least hinting that they have something coming up.

It seems almost a certainty that all the DS features will remain intact in the successor. Maybe the Mic might get cut. That seems to be the most lacking feature that got utilized the least. Backwards compatibility for DS titles isn't exactly a lock but, it's got a good chance of being supported. WiFi and bluetooth are pretty much a gimme. I'm thinking an SD slot is a possibility. If they are going to integrate motion control or not is up in the air though. I'm sure there will be some sort of unexpected aspect to it if recent history is any indication.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-25-2008 at 06:50 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The mic is used in a lot of games. I only own 5 games, and it has functions in all of those. Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Brothers for minigames, Mario Kart DS for blowing up your balloons in battle mode, Phantom Hourglass uses it at times, and SimCity DS uses it to blow fires out.

So no chance of that being eliminated I'd say if they want BC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    The mic is used in a lot of games. I only own 5 games, and it has functions in all of those. Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Brothers for minigames, Mario Kart DS for blowing up your balloons in battle mode, Phantom Hourglass uses it at times, and SimCity DS uses it to blow fires out.

So no chance of that being eliminated I'd say if they want BC.
    Feel the Magic: XY/XX also used the mic. Isn't is used for online voice chat, too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique View Post
    GBC - 1998
    GBA - 2001
    DS - 2004

I'd say that's enough history. I'd put money on official word coming next year.
    Rudimentary addition and subtraction means nothing. Market conditions is the only sensible way to judge whether a new system will come out.

The major external market conditions that could prompt Nintendo to move forward so quickly past such a different new system would be:

- General dissatisfaction with the current DS (not happenin')
    - or a slowing of hype (I don't see it; especially since Nintendo and even Sony are trying to condition its fans against product cycles; why reinforce them?)
    - Part suppliers moving elsewhere - don't see this happening
    - Worries about being upstaged by a direct competitor (PSP hasn't done it; so that leaves unforseeable stealth product launches by Microsoft and other players, and remember everybody else has failed and Microsoft struggles enough with the Xbox series)
    - Worries about being left behind by new chip design - but here Intel's Atom, however impressive it may be, will still be expensive enough to keep it out of reach of Game Boy-like products for some time.
    - Competition from other sectors, like the notoriously failed HPC segment or the (more likely) growing cellphone gaming segment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Rudimentary addition and subtraction means nothing. Market conditions is the only sensible way to judge whether a new system will come out.

The major external market conditions that could prompt Nintendo to move forward so quickly past such a different new system would be:

- General dissatisfaction with the current DS (not happenin')
    - or a slowing of hype (I don't see it; especially since Nintendo and even Sony are trying to condition its fans against product cycles; why reinforce them?)
    - Part suppliers moving elsewhere - don't see this happening
    - Worries about being upstaged by a direct competitor (PSP hasn't done it; so that leaves unforseeable stealth product launches by Microsoft and other players, and remember everybody else has failed and Microsoft struggles enough with the Xbox series)
    - Worries about being left behind by new chip design - but here Intel's Atom, however impressive it may be, will still be expensive enough to keep it out of reach of Game Boy-like products for some time.
    - Competition from other sectors, like the notoriously failed HPC segment or the (more likely) growing cellphone gaming segment.
    I only really disagree with one point that the PSP hasn't upstaged the DS, I think it has in almost every catagory especially gamewise especially lately.

Honestly the only games that i've been interested in the DS in the last year was contra 4 and Phoenix Wright otherwise I've been really dissapointed with what the DS has offered in the last year especially compared to the PSP.

I am probably a one of but I think the DS has went from releasing tons of great games to releasing next to no good games.

I still like my DS but I would like to see Nintendo step up and release better games for it.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars