Thread: the time i went 3 months without playing

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default the time i went 3 months without playing

So, this is like around 93 or 94, not sure wich year. Probably even 95, but that kinda doesn't matter.

So there i was, a little kid, who loved his nes to the bone. We hade pretty stellar flea market at the time, and we could get nes games for about 5-10 bucks (sometimes cib) and i had already a nes. So there i was happy with the nes. Then i saw the ads for the SNES, there i was, shitting my pants for the first time in a lot of time. Sure i did knew about the Turbo Graphx, and the genny, but, the snes was where i had to be.

Like any other kid at the time, i was all jumpy for one, and i had to have one.

But my mom was kinda bored watching me play mario and mario and tetris and mario.

So she told me if i wanted a new system, so i told her that yeah, i wanted a SNES, because it had the new mario game and the pilotwings game and all sorts of cool stuff that was gonna come out. And she kinda consider it.

So here comes the 3rd wheel on this topic: my sister's boyfriend. He was the geek. Used Fidonet, and loved playing games on nintendo, pc, etc. And he suggested a Genesis to my mom, because it was better, didn't had the blinking points on the screen (the kinda blinking you saw on games like dragon warrior when you moved) and had better sound, arcade games, etc.

So one time they told me, hey, let's go and get your xmas gift (i was like w00t!) and i hopped on the car, waited for 2 hours on the border, and got to montgomery ward at about 9:40 pm (they were about to close) and i saw some kind playing sonic on the demo station. I was floored, something ust clicked and i stared at the guy playing.

And then i saw them coming with a shopping cart with a genesis (wich had the logo that it included sonic, i believe it was a sale at that time, i'm not really sure) so we went back home. I fell asleep on the way back. But when i woke up, we were home and i went to my room.

I was thinking at the time "now, where will they hide it, i have to play it, i just have too". But BEHOLD! i go to my room, and there is the genesis box. On my room. By itself.

Now i don't know what their plan was, but, i really i really wanted to give it a go (remember that this might have been around september). So i ask my mom if she wasn't gonna hide it, so i couldn't play it. She just tells me "no, but it's not supposed to go open until xmas!".

So there i was, in my room, with the thing that i most lusted for sitting on front of me, mocking me, just staring with sonic running off a cliff...

And i knew i wasn't supposed to, so i took a very long look at the back of the box, dreamed about the games that were there (castle of illusion, joe montana, altered beast) and i went and put it on top of a rack, from wich i could see it every day.

It probably was around october/november when i could not stand it anymore, i felt desperation (wich can only now i can compare: it was like having the girl of your dreams in your room, ready and willing, but coudn't), so one day i got home from school, and ...

THERE WAS NO ONE HOME! YEEEEES!

so i went to the top, opened the box, started hooking it all up, then got it ready. And it was time to slide the power switch. It was just me and it. Alone, no one would ever know.

But when i had my fingers on the switch ... i just kinda felt bad, and started having thoughts, like what would they think of me if i gave up and just busted it open and played it. I would have probably let my mom and pops down, cuz the thing they got me for xmas, an expensive toy, would just have been that, something else.

So i felt kinda sad with myself, and i started unpluggin' everything and storing it back in the box, and there it went, back to the top of the rack it was.

When xmas finally got here, i was all crazied up at around 11 just to bust it open and play it. It was incredible, i felt all giddy inside, AT LEAST, CURFEW WOULD BE BROKEN! AT LAST I WOULD HAVE THE OBJECT OF MY TORMENT AND DESIRE FOR A VERY LONG TIME!

But i fell asleep.

Next morning i woke up, and my brother was setting it up, because he grew tired of waiting for me and told me that he also wanted to try it out. So all exited i helped him a lil bit more, and in less than 2 minutes we were experiencing the perfection that was sonic in all it's 16 bit glory. It was the awesomest feeling ever, and sometimes when i feel kinda intro retro gaming, i look for a way to play sonic (i have the mega collection on gamecube, because even though i have the genny and games, it broke like 3 years ago) and i get that same feeling i got when i played it for the first time.

It was later after a while that i knew that my dad and brother used to hook up this thing sometimes and have a blast with it on the nights ._. but it was all ok, i didn't knew, i kept my word, and it made everything ever so better. Kinda like the feeling you get when you know you did something good with yourself for once in a while.

Sorry if it was a long post, but i kinda had to post it after seeing the lore section, and started getting all those memories from my younger years, eventhough i'm 25, i've always been a gamer. I also was a member here, but got banned, i don't even remember why really, but i went back when one of digitpress members passed away.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

...round the following easterthat when i got the cube.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post
    Oh come on now, be nice. Grammatically not the best story I've ever read, but entertaining none the less. It brings back fond memories of the excitement a new game brought when I was a kid, too. I remember when I finally got my Genesis (about three years after everyone else), I was so pumped to get home and play it. Thanks for sharing, it brought back some good times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin View Post

the gamecube?in 94? do you own a time machine and how do i work it?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reads like a 5th grade book report.

Which is what I was expecting from the thread title, so I can't complain.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Oh come on now, be nice. Grammatically not the best story I've ever read, but entertaining none the less. It brings back fond memories of the excitement a new game brought when I was a kid, too. I remember when I finally got my Genesis (about three years after everyone else), I was so pumped to get home and play it. Thanks for sharing, it brought back some good times.
    The same goes for me....
    I can clearly remember staring at my then,new Sega Master System box for days, as is it was yesterday....Imagining, playing all those other games in the back side of the box....While in reality, the only games that I played for about 3 moths were the ones in the built-in memory...Great tale indeed!
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Wait, are you saying your dad and brother had been playing it in secret while you were asleep that whole time?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Montgomery Ward, ha! That brings back memories... I remember playing Kid Chameleon there when my parents bought me my TV. I was sold on the Genesis as soon as I saw this Sonic commercial: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IxkOG-DeVyM (the 1st one)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the fairy to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@cryomancer: Yes, they played it in secret for a while.
    @eric dude!: Sorry, i'm mexican and although i speak english, well, you can see the results, so, sorry if i bothered you.
    @pixelsmasher: Although it's meant to say old, i just laughed at it, i remember that episode.
    Last edited by sonikokaruto; 06-26-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sonikokaruto View Post
    @eric dude!: Sorry, i'm mexican and although i speak english, well, you can see the results, so, sorry if i bothered you.
    i wouldn't worry about it. i think the fear was that you were an native speaker of english and an adult that had the skills of a poorly educated kid

for not being your 1st language it was good and completly understandable

good story!
    Last edited by Soviet Conscript; 06-26-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sonikokaruto View Post
    But i fell asleep.
    Well, at least he didn't say "But... I feel asleep."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PixelSmasher View Post
    We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the fairy to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
    and the quarters were handlebar mustachioed men. ah the days. before that "war", i had my trusty big wheel small wheel bike (whatever the hell its called) and went to the ferry for a thirst to quench.
    back to the original topic:good story, i didnt know english wasnt your primary language, it was very readable(no real errors or anything) and its good you shared your memories with us. one question though: your parents had no qualms just going out and buying a new system for you? my parents woulda bitched at the cost, if there was a reason for it..when my dad saw me play mario games and the like he'd say i was a lazy ass who didnt pull enough weeds in the garden.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well they did kinda hesitate, but i remember actually being a lazy ass on school. I never did homework, i never did anything, i did do my own stuff (wash my clothes, make my dinner sometimes).

Eventhough i was a lazy ass, i did manage to get straight A's on elementary school, but on middle school, when everything started to get evaluated with projects and not with knowdledge, it kinda went to the crapper.

On highschool i went back to straight A's, but got very bored on school also, just being lazy. Wich turned into a "you're not playing anything until you straighten up because the teacher is complaining that you sleep on class, so no videogames".

It kinda sucked. I'm now a computer systems engineer, but i kinda feel like i didn't lived to my potential, probably due to the fact that i was never really challenged and just pushed along with the rest of the world.

I love collecting, but having a good job means not getting any time to enjoy the stuff i have.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Wait, are you saying your dad and brother had been playing it in secret while you were asleep that whole time?
    Of course they did. Why else would you think his parent's left an unwrapped Christmas present in the middle of his bedroom floor for three months?

Actually scratch that. The whole situation doesn't make any sense.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your memory is pretty good to remember a pretty trival event like that. Well I guess it was quite important to you, though.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great story. I really enjoyed reading it.