Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrono Cross is sucking

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like Shenmue, despite the fact that I despise modern RPGs.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Hey at least you didn't have to pay 70 bucks for it.

It sucks. Then you get lots of people. Then it still sucks. And you get pissed off.

I'm sure somebody liked it. There's a vague tie-in to the first game somewhere. But also: it sucks.
    And at least you didn't trade a copy of Bubble Bobble 2 for it. :P

Chrono Cross does indeed blow, plagued by stupid character designs, annoying accents, and a weak plot. It also suffers from a classic Square fault of having a story that makes no god damn sense. That said I thouroughly enjoyed both Chrono Trigger and Radical Dreamers and I'm the last person to knock a sequal for being "different". However, I still thought Chrono Cross was a boring load of shit and I stuck with it up until you take control of Lynx.

As for whoever claimed Cross was one of the best PS1 RPGs ever... wow. What other RPGs have you played for the system?
    Last edited by Daria; 07-07-2008 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved it just for how screwed up the story is and how hard it is to follow. Also, the music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deuel View Post
    I like Shenmue, despite the fact that I despise modern RPGs.
    I love cheeseburgers, but I can't ride a bicycle.

I really enjoyed Chrono Cross. It was actually the first jrpg I ever really got into, and is one of the few I've actually finished. I did play it before Chrono Trigger, though, so I had absolutely no expectations going into it. I really liked the setting though, and the music was great. I have tried to get back into it a couple times and just couldn't do it, so maybe most of the enjoyment was not having anything to compare it to.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    As for whoever claimed Cross was one of the best PS1 RPGs ever... wow. What other RPGs have you played for the system?
    It might be a shorter list if you ask me what RPGs I haven't played on the system (though I certainly haven't beaten all that I've played). Regardless, I prefer CC to FFIX if that gives you any idea of where I'm coming from. And if you want to talk about ugly character designs... And for the record, CC's plot did make sense. In fact, it's pretty easy to follow once you get passed the Square-ish philosophical nonsense. But that's been going on since the second disc of FFVII. Part of the reason I liked FFXII so much was because it was a breath of fresh air and said what it meant in simple English. "Stop the bad man!"

Honestly, even beyond the "gotta catch 'em all" characters, it seems like whether or not a person likes Cross depends almost entirely on if they're willing to put up with the vague script. It might be one of the most divisive games on the Playstation. Others possibly being SaGa Frontier (which I loathe) and Dragon Warrior/Quest VII (which I find tedious).

Hey at least you didn't have to pay 70 bucks for it.
    When did CC ever cost anywhere near $70?
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 07-07-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I liked FFIX.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Think of Ansem's mindless banter about "darkness and shit" in Kingdom Hearts
    Heh, "darkness and shit". Now that would be an original villain!

That said I thouroughly enjoyed both Chrono Trigger and Radical Dreamers and I'm the last person to knock a sequal for being "different".
    Oh yes, Radical Dreamers. Whoever likes the Chrono Cross soundtrack should give that one a gander.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Purchased it being a huge chrono trigger fan, havent so much as popped it in to see if the discs work (got it about 2... maybe 3 months ago now). I've heard all along that it's not the sequel to chrono trigger i and so many others hoped it would be, so to be honest i've been in a mindset to play it and have it suck. Here's hoping i'm wrong.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really liked Chrono Cross.

I lucked out. I wasn't exposed to any pre-game hype. I wasn't expecting it to be a true Chrono Trigger sequel. I just thought it'd be like a Final Fantasy sequel and be somewhat similar to the predecessor, yet be a completely different game.

If I remember correctly, my wife got it for me for Christmas one year. We both really enjoyed it. I played it and she watched, for hours on end.

I can't really remember the story as I only ever played it the once, but I remember liking it. Also, the music and graphics were absolutely FANTASTIC.

If they made Chrono Cross 2, I'd buy it

edit: I remember the sound track was so good that we downloaded it, burned it to CD and listened to it in the car. We don't typically do stuff like that. I'd buy the soundtrack in a second if I found it local.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 07-07-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Crono Cross I just plain didn't get. Xenogears on the other hand, I love.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

However, I still thought Chrono Cross was a boring load of shit and I stuck with it up until you take control of Lynx.
    You know, it's funny you mention that, because this is the exact point in the game when I just sort of gave it up and decided that this was more of the same sort of Square drivel that made me turn to Western RPGs like Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights. I have a lot of the old Square RPGs, but...meh. Why bother?
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm glad I read this thread. For some reason I thought everyone loved this game and I was the only person who who couldn't stand it. Like many I only made it about 4 hours in and was just too bored to continue. I didn't care about any of the characters at all, and thus had no will to see what happened to them. Loved Chrono Trigger, enjoyed Shenmue.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    You know, it's funny you mention that, because this is the exact point in the game when I just sort of gave it up and decided that this was more of the same sort of Square drivel that made me turn to Western RPGs like Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights.
    Yeah. Unlike Chrono Cross, Planescape doesn't have an annoying skull character shoehorned into a mostly serious...oh.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good music, graphics, FMV, 3D, millions of characters (it became a parody of itself when that blonde soldier/police whatever asked his alter ego to join them), that Black Metal dude and very brief connections to Chrono Trigger can't save this game from being super-boring with a storyline I've almost completely forgotten about since it wasn't memorable at all. Chrono Cross is a proof that what makes a game great isn't the medium or technology it uses, it is the gameplay. That is why Chrono Trigger is superb and Chrono Cross awful.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

On the subject of the character designs, while I can understand if someone is put off by the strangeness of many of the characters or has issues with the polygons since the textures in Chrono Cross squirm around like nobody's business, but I'll never understand how some people can think the art of the characters is ugly. Nobuteru Yuuki is an exceptionable artist, and his Chrono Cross designs are fantastic. He always gives his work an unusual appearance, and I know so people prefer that stereotypical anime look, which is why he gets grief for the long pointy noses in Escaflowne. I think that's his best quality, though. Just look at half of the female characters in the game and tell me they're not lovely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I picked this game up a few years ago at EB and I got a couple of hours into it, then put it to the side and forgot about it for awhile. A few months ago I picked it up again and remembered why I stopped playing it, the battle system is fucking horrible. It might just be me, but it all just seemed confusing and I really had no idea what was going on, I'd just do random commands and hoped that I would win the battle.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the soundtrack, but thats about it.

Actually, that was probably the only reason I beat the game.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    It might be a shorter list if you ask me what RPGs I haven't played on the system
    Humor me.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

jesus christ never did i imagine the hate this game could generate, i actually have it but never played more than 5 minutes of it, so i cant comment, but i was under the impression that this was one of the greatest jrpgs ever made, i thought ppl loved this game, i remember it getting rave reviews when it was released....um i think???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by EX-Soldier View Post
    jesus christ never did i imagine the hate this game could generate, i actually have it but never played more than 5 minutes of it, so i cant comment, but i was under the impression that this was one of the greatest jrpgs ever made, i thought ppl loved this game, i remember it getting rave reviews when it was released....um i think???
    Much the same can be said for FFVIII.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure somebody liked it.
    Somebody did. I've talked to him.

I got two hours into the game, and called it quits. When I said so, this person--who I shall call CCN1F (Chrono Cross' Number 1 Fan)--ranted at length about how I was a stupid backwards ignorant cross-bred mongrel dog-person who obviously fell off the gravy train after nearly drowning and getting brain damaged from it.

Then he went on to all the usual RPG Fanboy cliches: You've got to play the whole game first because its the story and not the gameplay that's important. It has Cool Concept X which nullifies all other faults. To reject this game is to think all RPGs should play like Dragon Warrior. And so on and so forth.

I told him to fuck off cuz I'm not gonna play by Mein Fuhrer's rules. Then I showed him the ending of Bionic Commando to prove my point.

Chrono Cross didn't leave a lasting impression on me, but its fanboy sure did.