Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Chrono Cross is sucking

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

I can not believe all this Chrono Cross Hating?!? I came into this thread convinced I already knew what he was going to say in his post.

OP: "Chrono Cross is sucking" .... and then he would say "up all of my time" or "my life away" you can add in a "because it's so awesome" if you like

But no, he legitimately said it sucked! I don't get it.

Chrono Cross was not only better than FFVII but Chrono Trigger as well. I even played it last of the 3 and only a year or so back. Without a doubt the Square Dream Team's crowning achievement!

I'm sorry if this post is a little disjointed but my brain is using all of its power to try and process how anyone could not absolutely love Chrono Cross.

I'm sorry.... for you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jackattack View Post
    my brain is using all of its power to try and process how anyone could not absolutely love Chrono Cross.
    ...so full of supporting evidence, your post is...

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Take it from someone who likes Chrono Cross: It is unquestionably a flawed game. I just happen to disagree with the extent the flaws ruin the experience. Many of the people in this thread clearly see them as deal breaking. I see them as annoyances.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But no, he legitimately said it sucked! I don't get it.
    It's very simple. He had a keyboard, access to this forum, and he didn't like Chrono Cross. So he went and said so. A few people just happened to agree.

Clear enough now?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry if this post is a little disjointed but my brain is using all of its power to try and process how anyone could not absolutely love Chrono Cross.

I'm sorry.... for you
    I feel the exact same way, but instread of "Chrono Cross", substitute "Superman 64."

(Yes, I *am* making fun of your overly dramatic angst over hatred of a video game. Why do you ask?)
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome to the club. After about 20 hours in, I came to the conclusion that CC was garbage. Music rocks, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RegSNES View Post
    Welcome to the club. After about 20 hours in, I came to the conclusion that CC was garbage. Music rocks, though.
    This is equally as extreme as Jackattack's post. Beyond the Beyond is garbage. You could argue SaGa Frontier is garbage. You might even go the extra mile and say Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is garbage. But, really, saying Chrono Cross is garbage is suggesting that it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. That, too, is absurd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    This is equally as extreme as Jackattack's post. Beyond the Beyond is garbage. You could argue SaGa Frontier is garbage. You might even go the extra mile and say Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is garbage. But, really, saying Chrono Cross is garbage is suggesting that it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. That, too, is absurd.
    Whoa, calm down. To me, garbage and sucks are on the same level. If you like the game that's fine. CC isn't the only game I've said has good music but sucks/is garbage and I'm sure I'm not the only person who's had this opinion on CC and other games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's an opinion, to a certain person it might not have any redeeming qualities. You can't call the suggestion absurd because it is not a black/white matter of fact arguement where anyone can be right or wrong.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RegSNES View Post
    Whoa, calm down.
    I wasn't agitated. Didn't mean to come off as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    It's an opinion, to a certain person it might not have any redeeming qualities. You can't call the suggestion absurd because it is not a black/white matter of fact arguement where anyone can be right or wrong.
    In some cases, you can. For instance, I contend that Mortal Kombat: Deception is a bad fighting game. The reason I'm contending that is not based on opinion of any sort. It's based on the fact that the game has more than twice as many infinites as it does characters and there are broken moves and outright glitches galore. So regardless of how much one likes the game, it doesn't make it good. Entertaining, maybe, as that's completely subjective. But "good" and "bad" do have at least some basis in fact.

When you're talking about quality, sometimes there is a factual basis to rely on. We can go back and forth over how much or little good there is to be enjoyed but a car with four wheels is fundamentally superior to one with three. We can disagree over how much enjoyment one can glean from Chrono Cross, but I doubt anyone would contend it is on the level of a game that is broken or 'unfair' in some way. When I hear "garbage" I think of games with flaws that are somehow more concrete than the ones CC has.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 07-09-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry no one noticed any humor in my post, but I guess I didn't provide a lot of clues and along with my lack of history here it would be hard for you to know that I really do not care about this sort of thing. I did hope my comment about my brain would be a decent clue but what can you do. When you see trolls and flamers all day, everyone starts to look like one.

I think were I went wrong was implying I was upset with someone calling the game bad or their opinion wrong... that's wasn't the case at all. In fact I was only surprised that anyone could find this game anything less than great.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I, and I thought pretty much everyone else, held Chrono Cross in the same place as we do all fantastic games nostalgic or otherwise. I'm sure someone out there thinks Ocarina of Time is a bad game but he would have a really hard time convincing anyone else of that. I wouldn't think it possible to see this thread about OoT (with the same amount of disgust) and I thought CC was on the same level. Looks like I was wrong so naturally the post after post of Chrono Cross hating really just surprised me.

I still think Chrono Cross was a fantastic game and in my world that's what's important. Sorry everyone else, but you really don't matter *Smile here, no malice intended

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure someone out there thinks Ocarina of Time is a bad game
    Oh god you just had to bring up that turd, didn't you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

But "good" and "bad" do have at least some basis in fact.
    To some people bad IS good. The Addams family for example.good and bad do not necessarily have basis in fact. Some people would rather have that 3 wheel car you mentioned... less tires to buy means better to them.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Game hasn't aged well either.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I popped in Chrono Cross about 15 minutes after finishing Chrono Trigger, fully expecting Chrono Trigger 2. I played for about an hour and thought "What the hell is this?" and I haven't played it since. I know it's unfair to judge a game based on just an hour or for not being what it was never supposed to be in the first place, but I just had no desire to continue playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    To some people bad IS good. The Addams family for example.good and bad do not necessarily have basis in fact. Some people would rather have that 3 wheel car you mentioned... less tires to buy means better to them.
    But a 3 wheeled car can't drive properly and certainly not safely. They can "like" it all they want. All that means is they like it. It's still a car missing a wheel and thus is a bad car. You can like rotten food. Doesn't mean it isn't bad. "Good" and "bad" are often removed from "like" and "dislike."

In a lot of ways, it's kind of like grades in school. A B+ is fundamentally superior to a C-. Doesn't matter how much you like the C-. And 2+2=4 is fundamentally superior to 2+2=5 and thus deserves the better grade. What's interesting about video games is that, because math is a major factor for them, they're like pieces of machinery. They're expected to work a certain way. So a game that doesn't work properly can very well be a factually bad game.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 07-10-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's interesting about video games is that, because math is a major factor for them, they're like pieces of machinery. They're expected to work a certain way. So a game that doesn't work properly can very well be a factually bad game.
    Except that, ummm, no. Games are art played for pure enjoyment, not math or science used for a tool. Those kind of rules don't apply.

DO NOT APPLY!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by James8BitStar View Post
    Except that, ummm, no. Games are art played for pure enjoyment, not math or science used for a tool. Those kind of rules don't apply.

DO NOT APPLY!
    Are you serious? Rules of math and science don't apply in a piece of computer software in which actual equations are used to build it? We can go back and forth over whether or not games are art (I even wrote an article on the subject in Video Game Trader) but to say games don't need math is like saying water has no hydrogen in it. You know what a game without math looks like? A blue screen of death.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 07-10-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you serious? Rules of math and science don't apply in a piece of computer software in which actual equations are used to build it? We can go back and forth over whether or not games are art (I even wrote an article on the subject in Video Game Trader) but to say games don't need math is like saying water has no hydrogen in it. You know what a game without math looks like? A blue screen of death.
    When I say "art" I mean it in the most basic way possible--that is, that they are a form of creative expression. Oh sure, the trappings may have been the product of math and science, but if all we cared about was the trappings, then there'd be no such thing as crap (fact: it takes a fair amount of math to put a book together too, and the canvas artists use for paintings was a product of science).

What makes or breaks a game isn't the chips 'n bits which hold the game data, its the idea, the expression, that those chips are merely the vehicle for. No one plays a game so they can marvel at how well a computer crunches numbers. They play it because they're into the story, or because they really really like jumping on platforms or coming up with menu-based strategems or just plain kicking ass, or maybe because they want to see if they can find that elusive 121st star or if they can walk from one town to another without using Quick Travel.

I mean, heck, you don't judge a bowl of macaroni by the individual ingredients which make it up. You judge it by that big forkful you just put in your mouth, and whether or not you want to put more in there. It's as basic as "the sun is hot."
    Last edited by James8BitStar; 07-10-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its all good, Tony, no harm done. I know I'm probably in the minority on my opinion of CC. I love Zelda: OOT, but I'm sure some people hate it.