Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Punch-Out!! for Wii - Official Thread...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% certain.

I don't remember ever winning by decision in the SNES version, and I just beat it (again) earlier this year.

edit: I just checked the wikipedia article, and it says the following:

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The player has three minutes to knock out the opponent. After three minutes, the match ends, and the player loses; the player cannot win by a decision.[6]
    The reference it gives, [6], is to the game's manual.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 06-05-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    It happened in the original arcade game. I never played the second arcade game (Super Punch-Out!!), but I think it was in the SNES version, wasn't it?
    No.. I think you guys are confused In the SNES version, there are no rounds and no wins by decision (and thus no surprised faces)

You only have 3 minutes to win the fight, and if you don't do it, then you get "time's up" and lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I don't think so, but I'm not 100% certain.

I don't remember ever winning by decision in the SNES version, and I just beat it (again) earlier this year.
    Now you're gonna force me to dig out my SNES and beat Gabby Jay by decision.

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    No.. I think you guys are confused In the SNES version, there are no rounds and no wins by decision (and thus no surprised faces)

You only have 3 minutes to win the fight, and if you don't do it, then you get "time's up" and lose.
    Ahh ok, it's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm on the title defense version of Mr. Sandman now, and I thought I'd drop off a few opinions I have regarding this game, now that I'm almost done with it.

I'm a longtime, hardcore Punch-Out!! series fan, though I'm in the minority in that I prefer Super Punch-Out!! to Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! This iteration has made me happy, but there's one thing about it that I absolutely hate, a thing that I think ruins more than half of modern games: the voice acting. It's particularly grating in this game because when I play other games I can just mute the sound (or turn off the voices from the options screen), but the sound it so crucial to getting your timing right in this game that you have to have it up full blast. It's annoying enough that you have to hear the same dumb lines over and over and over (and over and over), but it's all the worse that the voice acting is so appallingly bad. The worst is the guy who does your coach's voice, but thankfully pretty much everything he says can be skipped over with the press of a button. The only voice that I actually kind of like is the guy who does Aran Ryan's.

Also, I feel like a lot of the time the punches/knockouts are a lot cheaper and less earned by your opponent than they have been in past games.

Aside from that, though, I think they did a good job with this game. I've played it a ton already, and am quite happy that I bought it.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I the only person having problems with Title Defense Soda Popinski? Damn, I've fought that guy like 30 times and I can't finish him. I can knock him down 4-5 times, but I can't TKO him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    Am I the only person having problems with Title Defense Soda Popinski? Damn, I've fought that guy like 30 times and I can't finish him. I can knock him down 4-5 times, but I can't TKO him.
    I had no problem at all with TD Soda Popinski. In fact, he was about the easier TD fight for me, aside from Glass Joe, who was the only one I beat on my first try. That said, I don't remember what made him so easy--I just remember beating him on my third try or so.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I *finally* TKOed him last night, as I just realized that it's almost always an instant knockdown when you dodge his huge uppercut, stun punch him four times, THEN star punch. I would dodge, stun punch once, then star, which doesn't do a lot of damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I am having a massive amount of trouble with Great Tiger TD. Anyone else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm currently doing Mac's Last Stand mode. I've beaten about 12 opponents, including Donkey Kong. I've read that it just goes on forever until you loose three times, than Champion Mode or something like that opens up. That sucks...cause that means you HAVE to loose in order to open up the final mode, which means you can't have a perfect record!

Did anyone else have as much trouble on the Title Defense Bald Bull fight as I did? I mean...it probably took me over 30 tries to finally beat him. He's by far the hardest guy in the game, which is ironic cause the Contender Mode Bald Bull fight was extremely easy...I TKO'd him in the first round, on my very first try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    Did anyone else have as much trouble on the Title Defense Bald Bull fight as I did? I mean...it probably took me over 30 tries to finally beat him. He's by far the hardest guy in the game, which is ironic cause the Contender Mode Bald Bull fight was extremely easy...I TKO'd him in the first round, on my very first try.
    I'm having a problem beating bald bull on the td mode.Argahhh makes me wanna snap the wii remote in half.I did watch a video on youtube so i could get those star punches from bald bull.I even collected 3 knock him out and he still got up shesh.Though i see now a tko is the only way to win.The problem is my timing for when he does the bull charge,some times i get it some times i don't......
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 06-08-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just beat Donkey Kong for the first time (who was surprisingly easy--I beat him on maybe my fifth try), so now I'e beaten everyone. The person I had the most trouble with was far and away Title Defense Bald Bull, then non-TD Great Tiger (I had no real trouble with TD Great Tiger, for whatever reason). Both TD Super Macho Man and Mr. Sandman were kind of hard but really just cheap--I'd knock them down three or four times over two rounds barely getting hit, and then get four punches in a row, get knocked down twice, and stay down for good. Those two never seemed that hard--even from the first time I fought them I'd be able to knock them down a couple of times.

Easiest Title Defense bout, not counting Glass Joe, was Aran Ryan, who I beat in the first round on my second try.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirhansirhan View Post
    The person I had the most trouble with was far and away Title Defense Bald Bull, then non-TD Great Tiger
    Yeah, the first Tiger destroyed me for 20+ times. It took me forever to get used to dodging into the same side as the punch, which I *never* do. TD Tiger was easy, I agree. I beat TD Bald Bull last night, and I had less trouble with him than TD Popinski.

Easiest Title Defense bout, not counting Glass Joe, was Aran Ryan, who I beat in the first round on my second try.
    Disco Kid was also stupidly easy. I lost to TD Kaiser and Hondo, but not once to Disco Kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't beat Sandman.... he's sooooo difficult....

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Was Glass Joe always french? I always thought/assumed he was american.

No wonder he goes down so quickly.

And why didn't they name him Glass Jaques to fit along with the other stereotyped boxers?
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyone View Post
    Was Glass Joe always french? I always thought/assumed he was american.

No wonder he goes down so quickly.

And why didn't they name him Glass Jaques to fit along with the other stereotyped boxers?
    I always assumed because Glass Joe sounds like "Glass Jaw." Merriam-Webster defines a glass jaw as: vulnerability (as of a boxer) to knockout punches. The original Glass Joe was definitely a pushover!
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Insert Coin (Level 0) vidman100's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally beat Donkey Kong last night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Minor spoiler....................

At the end of the game, what did you guys think of the painting that Doc looks up at, featuring Mac running and Doc on a bike? I so want that painting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Bump. Picked this game up over the weekend. Yeah, I said I wasn't going to. Well, I lied.

I love the challenge this game provides, considering I can STILL blow through Super Punch-Out like nothing. Still there is the reminder that "challenge" is a relative term when comparing video games released now to 20 years ago....I'm currently in the pattern of new opponent, lose, go to exhibition, knock hologram around until patterns are memorized, go back to career, win. Eh.

Blew through contender mode in almost one sitting, slowly working through title defense now. I can't in good conscience call this a great game, the gameplay is lacking, but the presentation is A+. I've laughed out loud at a few of Doc's quotes, and the characters speaking in their native tongues is a nice touch that I wish was in more games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kroogah View Post
    I'm currently in the pattern of new opponent, lose, go to exhibition, knock hologram around until patterns are memorized, go back to career, win. Eh.
    Just fight that temptation to fight the hologram and do it the old school NES style way where you play and replay a guy, & get beaten countless times until you finally figure it out.

And hey, at least that way it'll unlock the headgear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It was a great game. It is what it is. Won't win GOTY, but well worth the price for all the fun. Hopefully we'll see another.