Thread: Zaxxon 3-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Zaxxon 3-D

My Sega Master System finally quit working (it will play card games, but not cartridges) so I had to pick up another one on eBay. The one I bid on came with the Sega 3-D Glasses, which work great. I've been having a blast playing Zaxxon 3-D. Anyone else a big fan of 3D gaming? I'd love to see a 3D peripheral for the Wii--it would be the perfect type of niche market item for that system.
    Last edited by 8bitgamer; 07-12-2008 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zaxxon 3-D is great. It actually feels 3-D and more spacey thanks to the glasses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Zaxxon 3-D is great. It actually feels 3-D and more spacey thanks to the glasses.

Yeah, I was amazed by how well it works. The game is certainly superior to the disappointing Zaxxon Motherbase 2000 for the 32X.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    Anyone else a big fan of 3D gaming? I'd love to see a 3D peripheral for the Wii
    3D gaming would be great! I had started a thread about that last year:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105026

"Now that 3D technology has been simplified and perfected in movies like Chicken Little, Monster House, The Nightmare before Christmas, and Meet the Robinsons, why not apply that same 3D technique to video games?

I saw Monster House and The Nightmare before Christmas and was impressed with how far 3D technology has come. To view the 3D effects in these movies, all I needed to wear was a simple pair of lightweight plastic glasses...no goggles, helmets, or headsets. The 3D effects were quite convincing throughout and were particularly dramatic in several scenes.

Is there a reason why this can't be the future of video gaming? Imagine if Nintendo's next console came with a simple pair of 3D glasses. Getting to play a new F-Zero, Metroid, Super Mario, or Legend of Zelda game in 3D would be exciting."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If the new Brenden Frashier 3D movie makes a ton a cash, I bet video games will follow.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Zaxxon 3-D is one fun game. I'm glad there's a 2D mode, otherwise I wouldn't have played it at all since my 3D glasses kicked the bucket.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zaxxon 3-D is meh in the space parts, but truly fantastic in the trenches. All of the Sega 3D games are cool, except for maybe Blade Eagle 3-D (and this is coming from a huge shoot 'em up fan). Maze Hunter 3-D is probably the best use of the 3D outside of Missile Defense 3-D (which I think is the best SMS 3D game). OutRun 3-D and Space Harrier 3-D are both a bit of a disappointment. The sense of speed just isn't there in Out Run, and Space Harrier runs in what feels like a frameskip. Both are totally playable though. Poseidon Wars 3-D is probably the most obscure SMS 3D game released domestically (Blade Eagle 3-D may be moreso), and it is also worth finding if you have the glasses. Actually, if you have them it is a sin not to have all the games (except for maybe OutRun 3-D, which can be pricey). The last SMS 3D games was Line Of Fire; is a decent vertical shmup that was not released in the US.

The Nintendo Famicom 3D is awesome too (pictured below in my sig). Only a couple games use it and they can be hard to find, but it is aplus that you can use the Nintendo goggles with the Sega 3D Adapter as well. They also allow you to play if you wear glasses (a problem with the SegaScope glasses). The best Famicom 3D game is J.J. Tobidase Daisakusen 2, aka 3D Worldrunner 2, which is better than Space Harrier 3-D. Cosmic Epsilon (Space Harrier clone with amazing graphics) and Highway Star (Rad Racer) are also very impressive. Nintendo Grand Prix 2 3D Hot Rally and Falsion are FDS games that use the glasses. Falsion is a Konami 3D shooter and is also hard as nails. The final game to round out the list is Animal Attack Gakuen, a near carbon copy of Space Harrier, only starring a Japanese schoolgirl as the Harrier and cartoony anmals as enemies.
    Last edited by klausien; 07-12-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    If the new Brenden Frashier 3D movie makes a ton a cash, I bet video games will follow.
    The Nightmare before Christmas 3D, Monster House 3D, Meet the Robinsons 3D, and Chicken Little 3D did fairly well, too. I hope 3D catches on.