Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offiicial Sony PS3 E3 08 Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

I guess I'm the only one on the internets who was more hyped in seeing the Flower footage than most everything else at the show so far.

And with all of that talk about Shadow and ICO, I thought the Team ICO reveal was a shoe-in. I'm sure it will be at TGS though.

I thought the PS3 and Microsoft press conferences were about even in terms of quality, both a 7 out of 10 on the cool scale.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    And with all of that talk about Shadow and ICO, I thought the Team ICO reveal was a shoe-in. I'm sure it will be at TGS though.
    If Sony could be said to have a secret weapon, it would be Team ICO. In terms of exclusives, Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 are great and all, but they pale next to Ueda and Co. in terms of importance in my book.

They may not sell like Halo, Final Fantasy or Gears, but their last two games were benchmarks. I can't wait to see what's next for them.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Knoxximus's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Knoxximus

I too, am glad I pulled the trigger on a 60GB PS3....I did it that very monday that Sony did that 1st price drop from 599 to 499. And you know what? I haven't played a disc based PS3 game yet, even though I own two (Gaiden Sigma and Motorstorm). I do own a few PSN titles and my copy of Persona 3 seems to have taken up a permanent residence in it, but that's about it.

Only thing that really impressed me was Little Big Planet. I'll admit, I'm much to lazy to create anything....but I will play the HELL out of everything that everyone else puts together. To me, LBP is STILL Sony's killer app.

Well, I guess we can only wait, watch and see.
    Hardcore gamin' since '75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Completely incorrect. There are a number of Xbox 360 exclusives and frankly, they are often must buys. I would refer you to Viva Pinata, Gears of War, Halo 3, the Fable series, and the list goes on. GT5 is not really even technically out for the PS3 unless you count the extended demo that is Prologue. I'm not a huge racer fan, but the 360 is generally considered the platform for racing games of all vehicle types and I think you would be hard pressed to match the 360 racing line-up game for game on the PS3 right now. PS2 perhaps, but not on the PS3.

For the games that are on both the 360 and PS3, I don't know of a single case where the PS3 gets the better version. In fact, for those of us with HDTVs, the PS3 almost always gets the lower resolution port for some reason. Buying a system for a single game two years after launch seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but I suppose people make decisions for a lot of reasons. I'm fairly system agnostic as I have them all and will buy whatever games I'm interested in for each of them, exclusive or not. Having said that, the PS3 has thus far been the most disappointing system I have ever owned simply because other than MGS4 and Resistance, nothing has really kept me interested for very long on it. I'm not saying that can't or won't change, but the E3 presentation today did nothing to inspire confidence in me.
    Gears of War and Fable are both on the PC btw. And higher resolution doesnt mean it looks better either (goes both ways of course). The systems still are on equal footing when it comes to exclusives, though obviously whether or not one draws you in more is up to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally got to watch the whole thing. Although Resistance 2 looked good, I'm mostly excited about DC Universe Online. It sucked that the Marvel one got canceled on the 360so this is the best we can get. And the fact that Jim Lee(one of my favorite comic artist of all time) is working on it makes me feel that much safer that it will be done right.

This year Sony's "boring numbers" part of their presentation took alittle bit different turn. Because the PS3 is in last place worldwide, the US and Europe, they spent alot of time talking about the PS1 and PS2 sell thru numbers year-to-date. I realize the PS2 is still relevent because it still sells, but the PS1? All in all, it was an ok show but there definitely weren't any "wow" moments and it wasn't nearly as good as their previous shows. This years E3 was definitely NOT Sony's place to shine.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Penny Arcade's Take on Sony's E3 Press Conference:

-GAC-
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Penny Arcade's Take on Sony's E3 Press Conference:

-GAC-
    Lol
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can we keep the PS3 bashing posts out of this one? If you hate the PS3 so much, why don't you go talk about it in the X360 or Wii threads...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    can we keep the PS3 bashing posts out of this one? If you hate the PS3 so much, why don't you go talk about it in the X360 or Wii threads...
    Step 1) Visit Penny Arcade (www.penny-arcade.com) to view the comic in context (pro tip: they "bash" all three press conferences).
    Step 2) Develop sense of humor.
    Step 3) ???
    Step 4) Have much more plesant intarwebs experience.
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm still miffed that they freaking did their WHOLE PRESENTATION from HOME last year and this year it was all but a side-note and a short video.

While I love making Miis' and I think that Avatars on XBLA is a value-adding bonus feature ... nothing about either service comes close to the way that HOME is going to handle the non-game interface ...

think about it ... how we pine over the death of "arcades", "pool halls" or "bowling alleys" ... Sony will be giving us virtual incarnations of them for free! Yeah yeah, it's not the same as the real thing, but while Nintendo and MS are basically playing with paper dolls, HOME is providing a Second-Life quality experience (even better looking and more robust in some respects in terms of what it can do).

... and granted from what little they did show, it looks much better than last year.

I just want to know who I need to fuck or kill to get into the ongoing closed beta / upcoming open beta.

This is the single, solitary app for PS3 that I'm looking the most forward to.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    The same thing can be said about the PS3. Some of the titles have not come out yet yes, but they will...and frankly, I am not too excited about any of the X360 exclusives. The only one you mentioned is Fable 2. Yes, that is the only game I wish I could play but won't. There are at least 5 games exclusive to the PS3 that I want to play so that trumps the one game on X360.

Again, it is funny that people always say that there are no good exclusives to PS3 and SOOOOO many for the X360 but when asked to write a list and compare there are only about 3-6 for each system.
    The issue for me is it's not just the exclusives. Whenever I have a choice of PS3 or Xbox 360 multi-system games, I check the reviews and with friends and I have yet to find an occasion where the PS3 version is better or even up to par with the 360 version. Poor frame rate and stutter is a huge problem on a number of PS3 titles. I did buy GTA IV on the PS3 because I prefer the controller for that particular game and I knew the DLC would be delayed and not something I would buy anyway. As for exclusives, I provided a list of the exclusives I will be buying for the 360 in the next few months and on PS3 I will be getting Little Big Planet and Resistance 2. What are the other exclusives I am supposed to be looking out for, Killzone 2? What are the exclusives besides MGS4 (which is an awesome game by the way) that you think make the PS3 the best equipped to lead in this generation? I'm really not anti-Sony, but I also can't in good faith recommend the PS3 to friends when I know they will be happier with a 360 just because it has more games, better versions of the multi-platform games, earlier releases of multi-platform games thus saving them some money if they want the games at a discount, and a broad spectrum of exclusives. If the goal of E3 was to convince the world that the PS3 is the console to get this holiday season, I'm afraid that message didn't get through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The issue for me is it's not just the exclusives. Whenever I have a choice of PS3 or Xbox 360 multi-system games, I check the reviews and with friends and I have yet to find an occasion where the PS3 version is better or even up to par with the 360 version. Poor frame rate and stutter is a huge problem on a number of PS3 titles. I did buy GTA IV on the PS3 because I prefer the controller for that particular game and I knew the DLC would be delayed and not something I would buy anyway. As for exclusives, I provided a list of the exclusives I will be buying for the 360 in the next few months and on PS3 I will be getting Little Big Planet and Resistance 2. What are the other exclusives I am supposed to be looking out for, Killzone 2? What are the exclusives besides MGS4 (which is an awesome game by the way) that you think make the PS3 the best equipped to lead in this generation? I'm really not anti-Sony, but I also can't in good faith recommend the PS3 to friends when I know they will be happier with a 360 just because it has more games, better versions of the multi-platform games, earlier releases of multi-platform games thus saving them some money if they want the games at a discount, and a broad spectrum of exclusives. If the goal of E3 was to convince the world that the PS3 is the console to get this holiday season, I'm afraid that message didn't get through.
    If you're planning on a PS3 at some point

Uncharted : Drake's Fortune
    and
    Warhawk

are MUST BUY exclusives IMO

and there's plenty of great DLC exclusive stuff on the PSN.

Calling All Cars
    High Velocity Bowling
    Tekken 5 Online
    flOw
    Super Stardust HD
    Echochrome
    Pixeljunk Monsters

what a lot of people are completely ignoring is that it's not just about the brick & mortar releases on PS3...
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-17-2008 at 07:12 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

But the XBLA still blows away the PSN. While there are a bunch of terribly games on the XBLA, there are loads more good ones than on the PSN. I think I have about 50 XBLA games, and have at least 10 more on my "to-get" list. I have one PSN game, and about five on my "to-get" list. This is only counting what is already released. I will admit 10 of my 50 XBLA games I could do without (most of these I got for free).

The 360 had a year head start, and it really shows. On both fronts, retail and digital distribution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    But the XBLA still blows away the PSN. While there are a bunch of terribly games on the XBLA, there are loads more good ones than on the PSN. I think I have about 50 XBLA games, and have at least 10 more on my "to-get" list. I have one PSN game, and about five on my "to-get" list. This is only counting what is already released. I will admit 10 of my 50 XBLA games I could do without (most of these I got for free).

The 360 had a year head start, and it really shows. On both fronts, retail and digital distribution.
    I wasn't attempting to make a comparison. XBLA is undeniably robust ... I was only illustrating that PS3 has some great exclusives on the PSN front, and more on the way, and that's almost universally ignored when people say "PS3 has no good exclusives".

Can you say FAT PRINCESS?

http://kotaku.com/5025699/fat-prince...ld-be-our-gots

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The majority of games worth buying that have come out since Fall of last year have been at least equal or better on PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    Step 1) Visit Penny Arcade (www.penny-arcade.com) to view the comic in context (pro tip: they "bash" all three press conferences).
    Step 2) Develop sense of humor.
    Step 3) ???
    Step 4) Have much more plesant intarwebs experience.
    I couldn't have said it any better myself. Well, I could have but I decided to let you get the glory this time
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

Uncarted : Drake's Fortune
    and
    Warhawk

Calling All Cars
    High Velocity Bowling
    Tekken 5 Online
    flOw
    Super Stardust HD
    Echochrome
    Pixeljunk Monsters

what a lot of people are completely ignoring is that it's not just about the brick & mortar releases on PS3...
    And a little game called Everyday Shooter which I had as one of my "games of the year" for last year. Highly innovative stuff.

I'd argue that the list above (not counting Bowling, I've never actually played it) is essentually better than anything that's on XBLA outside of Pac-Man Championship Edition and Lumines. XBLA has a lot of "that's pretty cool" games but NOTHING that stacks up to the ambition, creativity, visuals, audio, or playability (not necessarily all of them for each game) than the games above.
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
    The majority of games worth buying that have come out since Fall of last year have been at least equal or better on PS3.
    Simply not true. Spend some time on Eurogamer when they do comparisons of just about every multi-system release and tell me if the majority of PS3 versions stack up when compared to the 360. I realize the Cell is a more complicated processor and probably more powerful than the processor in the 360, but all that power is going to waste when developers cut corners just to get something out the door or can't make it work as well as the 360 version. Other than Orange Box, Devil May Cry 4 and GTAIV, I don't know of any recent releases that were identical. I sure don't know of any versions that were better, in fact games like Overlord actually got worse on the PS3 despite the fact that the developers had almost an extra year to build the PS3 version and added extra content. I was really upset as I thought they would fix some of the problems with the 360 version on what I thought was a good game that could have been great. Instead, they delivered a game with a weak frame rate and other graphical issues.

I don't know how many cheap games I have passed up in the past month at Best Buy clearances or on Amazon simply because the PS3 version isn't up to par with the 360 (Viking, Jericho, Medal of Honor Airborne, Bladestorm, Area 51, etc...). Admittedly, these aren't the top games out there, but at $10 on clearance, they were tempting and if it weren't for the fact that the 360 versions are markedly better, I would have picked them up. Now, I'll just wait until the 360 versions drop.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

Uncarted : Drake's Fortune
    and
    Warhawk

Calling All Cars
    High Velocity Bowling
    Tekken 5 Online
    flOw
    Super Stardust HD
    Echochrome
    Pixeljunk Monsters

I have a PS3 and both Uncharted and Warhawk. I liked Uncharted, but I don't think it was all that unique or compelling. I also liked Warhawk although as someone who doesn't really love playing on-line, being given no other choice was a let-down. Calling All Cars is really great. The others seem pretty mediocre, although I may buy the import version of Echochrome for the PSP at some point. Trying to compare PSN stuff to the Xbox Live store is hard to do, especially with all the exclusive shmups and great indie developed games available for it now. There's a lot of crap, but I would argue that it's the best collection of pay for download game content available on any console today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

great indie developed games available for it now.
    Do tell. I can't think of a single one that's an original IP.
    Blog time!
    On Facebook