Thread: PS1 games from the PSN

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS1 games from the PSN

Does anyone know how SONY decides which PS1 games they re-release on the PSN to play on the PS3? So far there are like 22 and while some are ok, there are many like Suikoden 1 or 2 that would be nice to have for $5.99 instead of the ebay price of $ridiculous$.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Does anyone know how SONY decides which PS1 games they re-release on the PSN to play on the PS3? So far there are like 22 and while some are ok, there are many like Suikoden 1 or 2 that would be nice to have for $5.99 instead of the ebay price of $ridiculous$.
    Basically, the answer is: who fucking knows what Sony of America is thinking in regards to PS1 on PSN.

In Japan there are, what, two hundred PS1 games available for download? Some of them are hard to find or highly sought after titles, too. Einhander, Xenogears, Silent Bomber, Rhapsody, Gunners Heaven... Bah.

It's one of two things, I think. One, there are licensing problems that would be expensive or a pain in the ass to work out. I suppose that's possible, but it hasn't stopped Virtual Console or XBLA. Second, SOA doesn't think anyone would buy them, or that they would cut into PS3 and PSN Original sales. Either way, we lose.

Sorry. SOA policy is a pet peeve of mine.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 07-20-2008 at 07:15 AM. Reason: damn you punctuation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS1 games on the US PSN store only wind up there on pure accident. Sony doesn't actually want to put anything up there and the only time stuff does show up is when they have a new guy working on the night shift that accidentally hits the checkbox for "US PSN".

It's impressive how shitty our PS1 selection is compared to the HK or JPN PSN stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Say what you want about the terrible US selection. We already have the best PS1 game available. I can't describe how cool it is to have SotN on my (non-modded) PSP ready to play anytime or anywhere.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is arguable by far. Since the Japanese selection is one sexy bitch. A SNK fans dream come true imho. So much Capcom and Square-Enix love. I couldn't argue with games like Ehergiez and BioHazard 2. Not to mention, Hudson Soft showing love, by putting Bloody Roar and a Bomberman game on the JP Network.

Jesus, wtf is Sony doing? Mr. "We don't feel BC is not an important issue". Yet at their E3 press-conference, they are making over 130 games for the PS2? Hypocrites.

There's dollar signs in front of them and they don't care.
    Last edited by MegaDrive20XX; 07-20-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about available PSX-PSP games? Are those totally separate releases from the PS1 releases, or are those also playable on the PSP as well as the PS3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    What about available PSX-PSP games? Are those totally separate releases from the PS1 releases, or are those also playable on the PSP as well as the PS3?
    They're all playable on both PSP and PS3. The ones that weren't compatible right off the bat were all updated a while back, thank god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts. I emailed the SONY customer service asking if we will get a library like the one in Japan. I will keep you updated if they respond.

On a side note, I am so happy I finally got my PS3. What an amazing system! Lucky too because it looks like the current 80gb was the last chance at backwards compatibility...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. I emailed the SONY customer service asking if we will get a library like the one in Japan. I will keep you updated if they respond.

On a side note, I am so happy I finally got my PS3. What an amazing system! Lucky too because it looks like the current 80gb was the last chance at backwards compatibility...
    Don't unplug your PS2 yet, though. There are some compatibility issues with a lot of PS2 games on the 80 gig model.

Here is the list of compatible and incompatible games. You know, I have a 60 gig, and I love it, but I tend to play my PS2 games on a PS2 through component. It's less hassle in the long run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    You know, I have a 60 gig, and I love it, but I tend to play my PS2 games on a PS2 through component. It's less hassle in the long run.
    What do you mean by less hassle? If you have a 60gb PS3, I thought you can just pop in any PS2 game and play it. Or does the PS3 not allow you to play PS1/PS2 games thru a HDMI connection or something weird like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or does the PS3 not allow you to play PS1/PS2 games thru a HDMI connection or something weird like that?
    No, it lets you, which is the main reason why I prefer to play my games on the PS3 vs on the PS2 with the (crummy) 1st party component cables. There might be a three frame delay, but it's never bothered me (I don't play DDR, Beatmania, Bust a Move, etc). Virtual memory cards kick too much ass for me to not use the hell out of them.

If a game has a lot of loading and such (Hi, Yakuza), I'll install it to my PS2's hard drive and play it from there. Otherwise, it's PS3 all the way for me, baby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

What do you mean by less hassle? If you have a 60gb PS3, I thought you can just pop in any PS2 game and play it. Or does the PS3 not allow you to play PS1/PS2 games thru a HDMI connection or something weird like that?
    No, the connections are all fine, it's dealing with the games themselves that causes problems. I've had weird glitch outs and problems loading and saving data on the virtual memory card. That's all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I looked at the compatibility list for the 80gb system and everything I like has no problems so I'm not worried.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Official Answer from Sony:

Hello ,

Thank you for writing us.

As much as we would like to address all of your questions, there are certain topics that are simply
    out of the scope of this department within Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). You have
    reached the Consumer Services Department within SCEA, and we handle all general inquiries for our
    PlayStation(R) family of products, warranty and repair information, installation and
    troubleshooting, general corporate business inquiries, PlayStation(R) Underground(TM) Club
    Membership inquiries, and third party software referrals, just to name a few.

Very specific questions on any particular product (e.g., manufacturing process), programming details
    of software or hardware, 'reasons or beliefs' on why a product did or did not include certain
    features, personal opinions, and personal contact information for developers, publishers, and other
    company employees, are some of the topics that cannot be addressed. Also, there are certain topics
    that we may not be able to address due to the fact that they are confidential and proprietary to
    SCEA.

Additionally, due to the complex nature of this industry and its products, certain information is
    just not easily available. You may be able to do some thorough research on your own at the local
    library, internet search engines, and at academic institutions.

If you have further questions regarding this message and are replying back via email, please refer
    to your email case number:xxxxxxx.

Regards
    What a bunch of horseshit! haha

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuzzball123

That just means 'no'.

But, I totally agree that we need better PSX titles on PSN. We have that "X-treme" crap but not Final Fantasy? Ugh.
    i liek gamez

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yea, I would really love to have tactics ogre, the ff games, suikodens and not have to sell me not-yet-born child to play them...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzball24 View Post
    But, I totally agree that we need better PSX titles on PSN. We have that "X-treme" crap but not Final Fantasy? Ugh.
    Well that's more of Square Enix not wanting to license the titles for the US PSN than anything. I think Konami needs to get on their A-game and start putting more stuff in the queue, though. Symphony of the Night is a great start, but that would be swell if they went ahead and queued up Castlevania Chronicles (beat that Castlevania horse!), the Suikoden games (I never cared for them but I know a lot of people that do), Gradius Gaiden, Poy Poy and/or Poitter's Point 2 (which was superior in every damn way), Metal Gear Solid / VR missions / whatever, Silent Hill, etc.

Metal Gear Solid is on the jpn PSN store but not the US. Chronicles is announced but nothing has materialized yet, and Policenauts is even available on the jpn PSN store. It's a shame that the time and money investment in having a small dedicated team of programmers and writers (more like one programmer, two writers, and a small QA team) translate the game to english specifically for release on PSN is too much... that'd be a real killer app for Kojima fans for all of about a day (until it gets hacked and pirated all over the internet...and you know that'd happen).

But really, Syphon Filter 1 and 3 are on there but no Syphon Filter 2? No Motor Toon Grand Prix 1 or 2 yet? No Omega Boost? No Ridge Racer, Rage Racer, or R4?

Let's hope that when they do add Ridge Racer that it's Ridge Racer Turbo. A selection between that or the original would be nice, but I know I'd only be buying Turbo.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I'm curious as to which games are available in Japan that aren't available here? I honestly have no idea (I don't use the service).

I'm guessing the Syphon Filter 2 thing has to do with it being a multi-disc game. SF3 came in a multi disc case, but was actually only one CD dont' forget!

The other games are likely licensing issues. Sony owns the SF franchise. They don't own Ridge Racer.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end