Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Capcom's latest port: Dead Rising for Wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Capcom's latest port: Dead Rising for Wii

Now this is an interesting move. One of the earlier games to be developed from the ground up for the 360 is being ported to Wii. It will be interesting to see how well this comes out, especially in terms of graphics (the supplied images don't show much, and appear to be scanned photographs or something). This may be a model for future multiplatform games (so far most multiplatform Wii games have piggy-backed off PS2 builds and looked very similar), squeezing 360/PS3 stuff onto the Wii and shrinking HD content down to 480p (another benchmark will be Red Steel 2, as supposedly Ubisoft is porting Unreal Engine 3 for the occasion). Not only that, but Dead Rising is an awesome game, and this version will have new levels and weapons, and Wii control. Color me excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Now this is an interesting move. One of the earlier games to be developed from the ground up for the 360 is being ported to Wii. It will be interesting to see how well this comes out, especially in terms of graphics (the supplied images don't show much, and appear to be scanned photographs or something). This may be a model for future multiplatform games (so far most multiplatform Wii games have piggy-backed off PS2 builds and looked very similar), squeezing 360/PS3 stuff onto the Wii and shrinking HD content down to 480p (another benchmark will be Red Steel 2, as supposedly Ubisoft is porting Unreal Engine 3 for the occasion). Not only that, but Dead Rising is an awesome game, and this version will have new levels and weapons, and Wii control. Color me excited.
    As a Capcom fanboy, consider me sold, provided I get GameCube controller support.

A bit off-topic, does the Wii port of Okami support the 'Cube controller?
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't have a 360 and always wanted to try this game, so I'm sold. I also hope if this turns out and sells well enough maybe the Wii can get in on RE5.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Hmmm ....

... I'm not sure about this one.

The early press on this version of the game says that it won't have any of the real-time Otis walkie-talkie side-missions OR the photography.

Without those two things I can't see this being worth the purchase ... stripping those two aspects of the game out are kind of gimp the core experience of Dead Rising.

Frank's a photographer (he mentions it like 50 times in the game) ... and the photography element of the game is one of the few things that set it apart from being ONLY a Resident Evil style game, the other thing being the real-time "go help those people" Otis missions ... with so much to do and so little time to do it, it was nearly impossible to do everything, which created a heightened sense of stress/fear ...

... if it's just going to be a point A to point B game ... yeah ... it might still be decent, but it's just not going the be the same experience.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering the possibility of having to work in some software technological mojo into the Wii release to even get it going, perhaps the Otis and photo stuff was axed to make room for the extra code? Plus, I don't think I have to point out Nintendos sure-to-be position on "Zombie Upskirt Photos" as in-game content here do I? *sexy!*

If you want to play this with the gamecube controller then just go play the 360 version. Ya know, the one that already exists with that type of control set-up.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

True, but I'd also want to pick it up on Wii so I can see how well the port is, and as I already stated, I'm a hardcore Capcom fanatic.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Considering the possibility of having to work in some software technological mojo into the Wii release to even get it going, perhaps the Otis and photo stuff was axed to make room for the extra code? Plus, I don't think I have to point out Nintendos sure-to-be position on "Zombie Upskirt Photos" as in-game content here do I? *sexy!*

If you want to play this with the gamecube controller then just go play the 360 version. Ya know, the one that already exists with that type of control set-up.
    Even though it's purley speculation as to whether that's the entire reason that the photo mode is out of the Wii version ...

it's amusing to think that Nintendo doesn't have a problem with content that allows you to do things like jam a shower-head into a zombie and watch blood flow out of it, watch elderly people get eaten alive (and stand around an do nothing about it if you so choose), run over zombies with a lawn mower, or get attacked by a murderous clown with chainsaws ... but panties are out of the question.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Even though it's purley speculation as to whether that's the entire reason that the photo mode is out of the Wii version ...

it's amusing to think that Nintendo doesn't have a problem with content that allows you to do things like jam a shower-head into a zombie and watch blood flow out of it, watch elderly people get eaten alive (and stand around an do nothing about it if you so choose), run over zombies with a lawn mower, or get attacked by a murderous clown with chainsaws ... but panties are out of the question.
    It's not panties... look at RE4. On Nintendo consoles twice and you can definitely take a peek at Ashley's if you're creative enough. Zombie panties on the other hand is a whole different deal. It's closet necrophilia! The two don't even compare.

In the same vein, yet reversed, in some jurisdictions it's a felony to steal a shopping cart while having sexual relations with a corpse is a misdemeanor. Lesson of this story? If you plan to bang a corpse - don't do it in a stolen shopping cart.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't imagine playing this game with Wii controls. And will the system be able to handle that many characters on screen at once? If not, then there's no point in my opinion. Part of the coolness was stepping out into the mall and being surrounded by 100 zombies. Cut that down to 30 or 40 and it's just blah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    And will the system be able to handle that many characters on screen at once? If not, then there's no point in my opinion. Part of the coolness was stepping out into the mall and being surrounded by 100 zombies. Cut that down to 30 or 40 and it's just blah.
    This was the first thing that crossed my mind. The massive number of zombies walking around on screen is what makes Dead Rising unique. It'll be interesting to see how this version turns out.

I'm wondering if this release is a precursor to something Capcom is cooking up, RE5-related. I think the possibility of an Wii RE5 port just became a little more likely. When those "hardcore" Wii gamers eventually get bored with Animal Crossing, they're going to need something to play.

EDIT: It looks like Kotaku noticed too: http://kotaku.com/5027111/dead-risin...the-zombies-go
    Last edited by heybtbm; 07-21-2008 at 12:11 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

I think this is Capcom being a money whore. However, I do love Dead Rising and I think the Wii can either make it interesting or it could suck.

It could be cool to use the Wiimote for the camera.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

This port will be garbage. As I said in the Wii E3 thread:

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise
    Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Dead Rising might be coming to Wii.

Too bad I already have it on the 360, or I might give a fuck.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/16/ru...coming-to-wii/
    But you'll be able to waggle to break away from a Zombie attack! Not that it will matter much with only 5 Zombies on the screen at any one time.
    They need to get on the Dead Rising Co-Op they promised. Not that I expect it anymore now, but it had better be in the real sequel.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I can't imagine playing this game with Wii controls. And will the system be able to handle that many characters on screen at once? If not, then there's no point in my opinion. Part of the coolness was stepping out into the mall and being surrounded by 100 zombies. Cut that down to 30 or 40 and it's just blah.
    Have you played Spartan: Total Warrior? At times it comes pretty close to having as many enemies at once as Dead Rising... and Gamecube handled it fine (the PS2 version had some issues). I think the Wii can handle the number of enemies that Dead Rising has.

If it's true about the walkie-talkie missions and the photography, that's a damn shame. I don't understand why they would cut that out. Those aren't things that seem like they'd require Next-Gen Power[tm], and they sound like pretty obvious things to be slightly enhanced on Wii (using the remote to snap photos, and the walkie-talkie sound coming out of the remote speaker).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Loved this game on the 360 but don't really have a desire to play it on the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Have you played Spartan: Total Warrior? At times it comes pretty close to having as many enemies at once as Dead Rising... and Gamecube handled it fine (the PS2 version had some issues). I think the Wii can handle the number of enemies that Dead Rising has.
    Not even close. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Read the Kotaku article (linked in my post above) for proof.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Not even close. You're comparing apples and oranges.
    Well if you have 5 apples and 5 oranges, you still have the same number of fruits.

Read the Kotaku article (linked in my post above) for proof.
    Okay. Hmm, you're right, those screens are not good. What's with the mall? It looks like a little group of zombies huddled together, not a mall that's populated with them. That's lame. Surely the Wii can do much better than that. It's not like they need advanced AI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Well if you have 5 apples and 5 oranges, you still have the same number of fruits. .
    Touché!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    modest9797

Guess they cant have that "Only for the Xbox 360" at the top of the box anymore.
    Xbox Live : modest9797
    Games I Want
    PS1: 2% PS2: 0%
    Xbox: 42% GC: 18%

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by modest9797 View Post
    Guess they cant have that "Only for the Xbox 360" at the top of the box anymore.
    I suggest an addendum to that: "Real Game Only for the Xbox 360" *

*watered down, graphically inferior version with terrible motion controls available elsewhere

I don't see how a game that relies on the vast quantities of zombies will be good without all those zombies. This was a game where graphics and technology actually mattered. Without all the zombies and the claustrophobia/atmosphere they make, the game is just another beat 'em up, motion controls or no. The thousands of zombies weren't for show; they added to the game -- pushing through those masses, chopping them up by the hundreds, running them over in the car, that's what made the game unique.